Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Building Of My Platform Pond - A Dream Comes True (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528319)

Aro77 10-07-2017 09:04 PM

RIP , Sorry for your loss. looked quite sumo like

murphys33 11-07-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 9976919)
Clarity tower is a commercial foam fractionator. The link I supplied earlier is how you can DIY one for about $150-200. I need to build one soon for my own pond. Got most parts except the bio balls.

You may be better off buying a second hand protein skimmer used for reef tanks - there is someone who used it for freshwater - search in youtube.
Alternatively, you may want to try ocean free hydra stream. I have been talking to qianhu staff and they advised that the hydra stream can break down DOC

ThomasLim 15-07-2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 9995230)
RIP , Sorry for your loss. looked quite sumo like

Thanks bro... she is sumo to me :(

I just notice all my pictures didnt show up anymore... disappointed with photobucket :(

DragonFireSG 15-08-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 9995572)
Thanks bro... she is sumo to me :(

I just notice all my pictures didnt show up anymore... disappointed with photobucket :(

Time to switch to imgur bro.

DragonFireSG 15-08-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphys33 (Post 9995244)
You may be better off buying a second hand protein skimmer used for reef tanks - there is someone who used it for freshwater - search in youtube.
Alternatively, you may want to try ocean free hydra stream. I have been talking to qianhu staff and they advised that the hydra stream can break down DOC

Yeah looking at a v6. It's a bit ugly tho lol. Not have a lot of space in the garden.

DragonFireSG 24-11-2017 08:08 PM

Bro did you ever manage to deal with the nitrate problems? I have been doing some research into anoxic filtration using biocenosis baskets. Turns out the raw materials can be purchased locally.

Interested in giving this a go?

ThomasLim 28-11-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10004255)
Bro did you ever manage to deal with the nitrate problems? I have been doing some research into anoxic filtration using biocenosis baskets. Turns out the raw materials can be purchased locally.

Interested in giving this a go?

Didnt test nitrate for a long long time as it always give me that red red result. Guess it is hard for me to solve this nitrate problem...

What is biocenosis baskets? Have u tried it out? Any pic or info? How is the nitrate in your pond?

Cheers!

DragonFireSG 28-11-2017 11:50 AM

Haha the nitrate in my pond also red red. 40-60ppm by the looks of it. Now looking for means to make good this for the next pond. With 70+ tons, water change cannot be done efficiently.

I heard from koiphen folk that biocenosis basket properly applied can bring nitrates down to 10-20ppm easily.

Here is the site to read up on if you are interested.
http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/anoxic_filtration.html

I am planning to set up a trial soon to see if there is measurable effect.

1 basket in a rectangular bin into which I was pass through a small amount of pond water. If there is a significant delta in nitrate levels when comparing ingress and egress water, I will know the basket is working. In another basket, I will try 2-3 cermedia 8x8x4 cubes.

The trial might need a few months tho. The type of bacteria in biocenosis baskets take a long time to mature. I think it will cost about S$50-$60 a basket based on the price of the type of cat litter I need to buy to make it.

DragonFireSG 28-11-2017 11:53 AM

btw I decided not to go with the Hydrastream. It doesn't really do anything my shower doesn't do already.

DragonFireSG 28-11-2017 08:35 PM

Good news! There is a local distributor for oil dri premium absorbent - which is the same material as the kitty litter that is so hard to find. Even better, it isn't treated with deodorants like the kitty litter.

One bag of 50lb is under $30. I think that will make 2 biocenosis baskets easily. I am now looking for the laterite which is needed for the basket's core. That will be a bit pricier, though there are alternatives available.