Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Arowana Discussion (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why does arowana jump to inflict injuries on itself? (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306762)

khorjames 31-10-2007 11:46 PM

Why does arowana jump to inflict injuries on itself?

Hi bros,

i would like to find out from the aro experts among the bros on what's wrong with the aro. In a time frame of 2 months, the aro had jumped thrice against the braces of the fish tank (i think so), to cause abrasion on his spoon head. There was once two scales came off near his spoon head. He jumped again when i came back home just now. Just when the wound is healing, he has inflicted a new injury on the same spot on his spoon head again. What's wrong with the aro fish? Though this is nothing to be alarmed, i feel very sad when i see the state he is in. Any reason why he jumped to inflict injuries? What should be the preventive measure i should be taking? Thanks a lot in advance.

Thiru12345 31-10-2007 11:54 PM

Suicide terrorist fish?

On a more serious side,Maybe your water parameters something wrong or he hungry?

Martin 31-10-2007 11:55 PM

maybe because of some kind of insect flying over

Spakase 01-11-2007 01:50 AM

For a number of reasons. Usually, fright. Every Arowana has an individual personality, IMO. I keep community tanks, and I see the different personalities at work.....

If your aro keeps jumping, you might want to observe the times he jumps and the incident leading to the jump. I don't think anyone can give an accurate answer to your question, because it's an individual thing. Just observe and find the real reason for your aro to jump.

gtohow 01-11-2007 01:56 AM

there r couple of possiblities..
water problem (ph), sudden movement (scare), insects (too hungry),...etc:o

Aros Compagnie 01-11-2007 02:39 AM

if water parameters ok! try to on the light 24/7 for the time being n add black water. cheers!

hatorihanzoe 01-11-2007 05:23 AM

most of the time my aro jump mainly of water problem and if i starve them long enough. their way of showing feed me.

on an added note, lowering water lvl would cause aro to jump more or less? i think less. or i am wrong and they jump more but at least they dont' get injured thats why i think they jump less. long as no injurry, they can jump to space for all i care, long as they come back down though

khorjames 01-11-2007 10:17 AM

Thanks everyone for your reply. I measure the level of ammonia in the tank and realised the level is moderately high. I'll start to change the water in the tank moderately. :)

WATARI"18 01-11-2007 01:05 PM

After water change,observe the aro..still like to jump anot?

Koji™ 02-11-2007 11:30 PM

Aro by nature are jumpers. But they dun jump for no reason. Stress from water parameter? Stress from enviorment? Or stress from tankmates too. Check them out and maybe you will know the answer. But usually smaller aros tends to be alittle bit more jumpy.