Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   American Marine PinPoint Calcium Monitor (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178596)

nim75sg 11-04-2005 11:37 AM

American Marine PinPoint Calcium Monitor

1 Attachment(s)
This is my latest toy acquired 3 weeks ago but only finally managed to get a chance to use it.

My review would be not as sosphicated as Randy from Reefkeeping but at least it provides a certain aspect in terms of practicality.

IMO overall the Calcium Monitor is affordable and pretty accurate since it is powdered by a 9-volt battery. Funny that the vendor can't afford to supply this with the unit.

Based on past experiences with AM PinPoint pH monitor, the monitor will operate continuously about 150 hours before replacing the S$4.50 9V battery when the "low battery" indicator is on the display.

Also I find it rather unusual that the vendor advise to store the probe with tap water in the plastic storage bottle cap. Instead, I am storing the proble using DI water.

Warranty in perspective, American Marine is providing 24 months free of defects from date of sale eg. LCD display segments missing.

nim75sg 11-04-2005 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Calcium Monitor comes standard with the following:

1) 100 ppm Ca+ calibration fluid
2) 1,000 ppm Ca+ calibration fluid
3) Reference electrolyte fluid for the probe
4) Calcium Probe Assembly.

In the event of running out of calibration fluid, they're available from the local agent here.

monsterz1975 11-04-2005 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nim75sg
This is my latest toy acquired 3 weeks ago but only finally managed to get a chance to use it.

My review would be not as sosphicated as Randy from Reefkeeping but at least it provides a certain aspect in terms of practicality.

IMO overall the Calcium Monitor is affordable and pretty accurate since it is powdered by a 9-volt battery. Funny that the vendor can't afford to supply this with the unit.

Based on past experiences with AM PinPoint pH monitor, the monitor will operate continuously about 150 hours before replacing the S$4.50 9V battery when the "low battery" indicator is on the display.

Also I find it rather unusual that the vendor advise to store the probe with tap water in the plastic storage bottle cap. Instead, I am storing the proble using DI water.

Warranty in perspective, American Marine is providing 24 months free of defects from date of sale eg. LCD display segments missing.

So fast use up for the battery? Ken if u want buy 1 whole box of battery let me know i be happy to help u.:p

nim75sg 11-04-2005 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Setting up the meter initially is a pain in the neck as the instructions provided are not comprehensive for a reefer confronting it for the first time.

This is especially the case when the instruction manual states to fill up the probe to 1/2 inch below the black cap when there are 2 black caps. Other than this hidcup, the monitor is fun to use. ;)

The measuring range is from 0.000 to 9,772.0 ppm and any meaurements above this range are indicated on the LCD display panel as "Hi".

Confirmed this "Hi" reading I test a cupful of water with two teaspoon of Epson Salt.

Here is a typical reading from one of my tanks :D

nim75sg 11-04-2005 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is another reading from DI water:

nim75sg 11-04-2005 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterz1975
So fast use up for the battery? Ken if u want buy 1 whole box of battery let me know i be happy to help u.:p

OK .. Will sms you since I am using two American Pinpoint Monitors .... :p

nim75sg 11-04-2005 12:04 PM

Comments as follows IMHO:

Pros
1) No longer has to count the drips when using test solutions
2) Low operating Cost
3) Accurate measurements as compare with test solutions
4) 24 months warranty

Cons
1) No 220V AC Adapter
2) Calibration difficult initially setup for first timer
3) Replacement probe expensive

Buy recommendation for those who hate counting or keep missing drips or color blind. :D

monsterz1975 11-04-2005 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nim75sg
OK .. Will sms you since I am using two American Pinpoint Monitors .... :p

Wow that will cost a bomb.:p

Reefaholic 12-04-2005 02:34 PM

There is a review on this.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-04/rhf/index.htm

slcw 04-06-2005 06:56 PM

how much is it?