Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Keeping rays with tigers (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538747)

Squid 15-08-2017 07:39 PM

Keeping rays with tigers

hi,

I have some Bds which are growing quickly, their tank is getting small :(
I have some tigers and an aro in my 350 Gal tank.

a little hesitant in moving the bds into the bigger tank , as I'm worried they wont get any food with the tigers in the tank?

or do i pump them all full?
any tips :)?

thanks

Aro77 16-08-2017 12:20 PM

so far touch wood i have had no issues comming tiger with rays unless with the exception for the very large rays occasionally disturbing the tigers. food wise i dont see any issues as i normally throw alot in at once, distributed throughout the tank and this allows everyone in the comm a fair chance to eat.

i guess have to see what sort of filter system are you running on? and is it able to take the big increase in bioload

Squid 16-08-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 9997966)
so far touch wood i have had no issues comming tiger with rays unless with the exception for the very large rays occasionally disturbing the tigers. food wise i dont see any issues as i normally throw alot in at once, distributed throughout the tank and this allows everyone in the comm a fair chance to eat.

i guess have to see what sort of filter system are you running on? and is it able to take the big increase in bioload

thanks bro :)
my worry is my filtration.
I'm on sump , 6x2 .
media are jap mat, pumice and K1 .
a little worried if filter will be able to handle bio load.
how do i check?

btw i have a king kong parrot in with my tigers will he be a problem for my rays?

shalabin 16-08-2017 11:26 PM

Hi bro,

I have no problems keeping rays with tigers and aros as i kept them tgt since small. But the only concern being that the aros having never to live with rays before might get spooked by the rays during the initial introduction period. You might need to keep a close lookout for jumping cases.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers and regards

Squid 18-08-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalabin (Post 9998019)
Hi bro,

I have no problems keeping rays with tigers and aros as i kept them tgt since small. But the only concern being that the aros having never to live with rays before might get spooked by the rays during the initial introduction period. You might need to keep a close lookout for jumping cases.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers and regards

thanks bro :) I'm hoping my aro is used to sudden movements from my tigers:D

Aro77 18-08-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squid (Post 9997979)
thanks bro :)
my worry is my filtration.
I'm on sump , 6x2 .
media are jap mat, pumice and K1 .
a little worried if filter will be able to handle bio load.
how do i check?

btw i have a king kong parrot in with my tigers will he be a problem for my rays?

6 x 2 is a decently sized filter. perhaps add in your BB when rays go in. As for checking , just monitor your PH & ammonia. as u will likely experience a dip in your PH, another would be to possibly detect ammonia until your filter is more established to accommodate to the new bio-load. i guess it is only 3 rays which is really not much compared to your sump size of 6 x 2.

Squid 24-08-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 9998153)
6 x 2 is a decently sized filter. perhaps add in your BB when rays go in. As for checking , just monitor your PH & ammonia. as u will likely experience a dip in your PH, another would be to possibly detect ammonia until your filter is more established to accommodate to the new bio-load. i guess it is only 3 rays which is really not much compared to your sump size of 6 x 2.

thanks bro :) will try to move them one by one.