Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cichlid Experiences (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Discus Buyers Beware!!!! (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450244)

itchy 21-01-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jitticus (Post 8223288)
I've bought discus for a few times and each time they arrive at my place, they are usually hard to coax to eat. Each time i have to use blood worm to trigger their appetite, it may take up to a week for shy fish, sometimes just 2 days for the more outgoing individuals.

It is normal for new fish to take couple of days to get used to the new environment before they start eating.

leopard 21-01-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiotom (Post 8223996)
Even when we bag our healthy looking discus home, its highly recommended that we quarantine them in a different tank before eventually releasing them to the main comm.

If we skip this step we may pay a big price.

I can't agree more on this, but must do a proper quarantine, but also depends on the source. I made a mistake many yrs ago, by buying from an unreliable source, and not doing proper quarantine. I thought acclimatising them for 1 mth is good enough w/o any medication. The 2 pcs of LS looked fine, but just 1 day after putting them into comm tank, the whole tank got infected and I lost a couple of good and beautiful leopards. Jus over 1 nite, bad enough to kill and nearly wipe out the whole tank.

Espree 21-01-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopard (Post 8224344)
I can't agree more on this, but must do a proper quarantine, but also depends on the source. I made a mistake many yrs ago, by buying from an unreliable source, and not doing proper quarantine. I thought acclimatising them for 1 mth is good enough w/o any medication. The 2 pcs of LS looked fine, but just 1 day after putting them into comm tank, the whole tank got infected and I lost a couple of good and beautiful leopards. Jus over 1 nite, bad enough to kill and nearly wipe out the whole tank.

Indeed. Therefore always buy from reputable source and they will recommand you to buy which fishes. They will also advise you if the fish is sick.

leopard 21-01-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espree (Post 8224361)
Indeed. Therefore always buy from reputable source and they will recommand you to buy which fishes. They will also advise you if the fish is sick.

I always buy from breeder, but just that 1 time when I passes by a farm at Pasir Ris and saw this LS that I like. Its the 1 and only tank of discuses among the goldfishes. The fishes looked fine, not sick, or even at all dark, but they do carry parasites. Anyway, I also ever bought a sick fish from the breeder too. He didn't say directly that the fish is sick, but hinted, but I didn't get the hint until I brought it home and did some recollection of what he said. I trusted him and didn't do a proper check b4 buying, my mistake.

KOA 21-01-2011 06:24 PM

There're always the environment factors to affect the buyer, only the owners will know better of their fishes. The factors can be of many such as that is the one and only fish you looking for, the price is cheap, the time that you have spent with the seller and travel, can't tell whether the fish is sick or not, no experience with the fishes, etc.

All these factors can affect your buying decision, so it is also a little difficult to judge correctly on the spot. The best is still observe a few times if possible, and also need some experience to judge whether to tell whether can purchase or not.

eruption 21-01-2011 06:35 PM

。。。

Quote:

Even when we bag our healthy looking discus home, its highly recommended that we quarantine them in a different tank before eventually releasing them to the main comm.

非常同意 agree totally.

eruption 21-01-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eruption (Post 8225439)
非常同意 agree totally.

And also to have a quarantine standard procedure of your own.
Example:
How many days
Water level
Heater
Cease feeding
Medications: tetracycline, OTC... Etc..
These are some of my SOP mentioned above.

Cliff

itchy 21-01-2011 06:49 PM

Reputable or not sources we still have to quarantine any new discus members.

eruption 21-01-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchy (Post 8225467)
Reputable or not sources we still have to quarantine any new discus members.

Agreed x a million times..

aroboii 21-01-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

just to ask do we put in medication while we quarantine them ?