Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cichlid Experiences (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Discus Buyers Beware!!!! (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450244)

deccante 22-01-2011 12:22 AM

Hrngyi, think i bought 2 fishes from the same person too:mad:

1 died within a week the other is skiny but eatting well.. didn't notice any white poo...and its with all my other discus

Audiotom 22-01-2011 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchy (Post 8225467)
Reputable or not sources we still have to quarantine any new discus members.

That is very true indeed, sound advice.:)

Feeding regime, WC & tank condition of each hobbyist is different and different tank contain different kinds of micro-organisms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroboii (Post 8225943)
just to ask do we put in medication while we quarantine them ?

IMO QT period is to prevent disease outbreak.
It also allow new fish to gradually get use to conditions in new home, eg: WC regime, diet, etc.

About adding medi during QT process - different strokes for different folks.
Some may just use salt, others use anti biotics (as a precaution) and/or deworm them and even some who only use medi when fish is sick during QT.

Disffusion 22-01-2011 02:16 AM

B4 buying, see fish 1st. 1/2 dead or alive. Observe for any sign of probable sickness like clamp fin, darkening of the fish, HITH, skinny looking, gasping for air, inflame gills, etc etc.

Bring home, ALWAYS quarantine in a seperate tank for abt 2 wks.

Wat I normally do is, bring hme e fish, wash e exterior of the bag of e fish, float e bag in e tank for at least 30mins. Then open e bag, slowly scoop e tank water n pour into e bag until e bag is abt 3/4 full. Then pour 1/2 of e water out of e bag. Scoop e tank water again and slowly add into e bag again until 3/4 full. Gently tilt e bag and pour e water n release e fish into e tank.

No wc n feeding for 1st 3 days n observe fish. 4th day onwards feed abit and do abt 20% wc. Subsequent days onwards feed more n more and increase in the % of the water for wc as well...

hengyi86 22-01-2011 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deccante (Post 8226106)
Hrngyi, think i bought 2 fishes from the same person too:mad:

1 died within a week the other is skiny but eatting well.. didn't notice any white poo...and its with all my other discus

I am not sure if it is the same seller or anything but all i know we paid for our lessons.
Just hope others can take note that some people do sell Discus and i would think it is best for the seller to let the buyer know if the discus are sick and of cos the buyers responsiblity to check them and quartine them like most of the experts suggest.

The seller has replied to me that he does not know the discus are sick, but i checked his records he has been selling discus since 2009. So i am skepitcal about him not knowing the discus are sick. I do not wish to pursude this any further, this thread is just to warn new discus lover.

Maybe mod can put this up as sticky? Thanks.

chuach 23-01-2011 09:12 PM

Any recommendation on the quarantine duration? Is 1 week sufficient?

Audiotom 24-01-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuach (Post 8229570)

The longer the better :)

Airex 24-01-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuach (Post 8229570)

2 weeks is the minimum requirement.

KOA 24-01-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airex (Post 8230156)
2 weeks is the minimum requirement.

Which medicine you use for quarantine? Thank.

oscar77 27-01-2011 11:53 PM

Is very hard to say who is right or wrong. While pointing the finger out, please do not forget, discus is sensitive fishes. Lighting, shadow, tank position, human traffic, water condition, food difference .... all will scared the shit out of the fishes ... so .... may be picture could tell better story.

hengyi86 28-01-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscar77 (Post 8238978)
Is very hard to say who is right or wrong. While pointing the finger out, please do not forget, discus is sensitive fishes. Lighting, shadow, tank position, human traffic, water condition, food difference .... all will scared the shit out of the fishes ... so .... may be picture could tell better story.

here you go
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=24
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=25

I am not sure how long they are sick.but judging from their state, i would say for quite sometime. seller claim not aware the fishs are in such a bad condition and not aware is contagious (how can not be aware?) and internal parasite is very common for discus. But i checked he has been selling discus since 2009 and i believe he has the knowledge to know about such stuff.