Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Goldfish & Koi Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   To shine or not to shine GFs (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514687)

jenson 28-08-2013 12:15 AM

To shine or not to shine GFs
 
Bros,

Would like to check with you whether it's good to shine the GFs for certain amount of time a day, or not to shine at all and only on the light if you want to view your GFs?

I'm using the tank with built-in 2 x T5 Lights.

Regards,
Jenson

sbtanpatrick 28-08-2013 12:23 AM

Was told that tank lights needs to be turned on for 6 to 8 hours a day to prevent fading of colour....of course nothing beats natural sunlight and good genes....

Euphonlst 28-08-2013 07:49 AM

To make the goldfish shine u need to shine the goldfish best is plenty of sunshine. Goldfish look best under natural sunlight and thrive well under sunlight. Else the alternative is using light to shine them for 6 to 8 hrs as bro patrick suggest.

jenson 28-08-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbtanpatrick (Post 9491454)
Was told that tank lights needs to be turned on for 6 to 8 hours a day to prevent fading of colour....of course nothing beats natural sunlight and good genes....

I do noticed that sometime the tank water get so warmth after the shine that I decided not to shine too much.

But the lionhead I bought from Y418 sometime back is of low quality, that I've decided to stop buying there. I didn't get the chance to choose too =.= So I guess even shine more wont help much as the colour like half-fading though now a bit more shiny and colour get slightly more intense and nothing else, compared to the other GFs inside the tank

UnSun 28-08-2013 01:49 PM

Bros, imo if you want good colors, health and growth, set it up like this. This setup belongs to a member at RG. His fish not only get good lightning but plenty of free algae (promote headgrowth, color etc..) for them to munch all day long too.
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/x...enwalltank.png

jenson 28-08-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnSun (Post 9491925)
Bros, imo if you want good colors, health and growth, set it up like this. This setup belongs to a member at RG. His fish not only get good lightning but plenty of free algae (promote headgrowth, color etc..) for them to munch all day long too.
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/x...enwalltank.png

Thanks bro what setup is that? I have account there. Do you have direct link?

UnSun 30-08-2013 11:58 AM

At RG, try the GW section and look for date of posting around 30th Sept 2012.

jenson 30-08-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnSun (Post 9493914)
At RG, try the GW section and look for date of posting around 30th Sept 2012.

Yup finally saw it but no details. I found one Chinese article also shared their green water tank also very nice but I think not good for the tank right? Thought the pellets supposed to include something similar to algae? But true lah, if no one feed them, they can still munch the algae which is good too.

But my wife will not allowed green water setup that's why I don't dare to try yet. Now tank water still clear though slightly yellowish

jenson 30-08-2013 01:16 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/30/py7yje6a.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/30/3uqy4utu.jpg

jenson 30-08-2013 01:17 PM

So far only shine them in the morning and at night. But I flip open the part which allow me to throw in pellets to allow some air exchange and releases of condensation

TVR 30-08-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenson (Post 9493999)
So far only shine them in the morning and at night. But I flip open the part which allow me to throw in pellets to allow some air exchange and releases of condensation

Hi Jenson,
May I know the size of your tank with how many fish?
Thanks!

jenson 30-08-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVR (Post 9494012)
Hi Jenson,
May I know the size of your tank with how many fish?
Thanks!

The tank only 30L and currently overstocked with 6 fishes as seen in photos.

TVR 30-08-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenson (Post 9494014)
The tank only 30L and currently overstocked with 6 fishes as seen in photos.

If it is the tank you have shown, I believe the fish will be under extreme stress.
Any fish in there with that strong current from your filtration and small area will have no way to rest fighting the current 24/7.:(

jenson 30-08-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVR (Post 9494029)
If it is the tank you have shown, I believe the fish will be under extreme stress.
Any fish in there with that strong current from your filtration and small area will have no way to rest fighting the current 24/7.:(

Oops thanks for pointing out.maybe I should reduce the flow rate to the minimum level

SKG 30-08-2013 02:34 PM

Your gfs surely be happier if you switch to my earlier suggestion of using air stone only. :)

Heuer 30-08-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKG (Post 9494067)
Your gfs surely be happier if you switch to my earlier suggestion of using air stone only. :)

+100. I can't imagine they live in a washing machine 24/7. :(

jenson 30-08-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKG (Post 9494067)
Your gfs surely be happier if you switch to my earlier suggestion of using air stone only. :)

I get what you mean bro, but I did noticed they will rest at the front half of the tank coz the flow is mainly at the second half of the tank away from the side you all see in the photo. Hopefully by reducing the flow rate would make them happier.

Currently before the next upgrade not possible to use airpump and air stone. Invested in hydra and running together with the bundled filter. Though the guy did told us to remove the built in filter on top of the tank since using hydra 20 now. But I just a bit KS and leave it there :-p

Will plan for the tank setup for the next upgrade.

jenson 30-08-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heuer (Post 9494078)
+100. I can't imagine they live in a washing machine 24/7. :(

Haha well said. I laughed :-p

TVR 30-08-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenson (Post 9494079)
I get what you mean bro, but I did noticed they will rest at the front half of the tank coz the flow is mainly at the second half of the tank away from the side you all see in the photo. Hopefully by reducing the flow rate would make them happier.

Currently before the next upgrade not possible to use airpump and air stone. Invested in hydra and running together with the bundled filter. Though the guy did told us to remove the built in filter on top of the tank since using hydra 20 now. But I just a bit KS and leave it there :-p

Will plan for the tank setup for the next upgrade.

Bro,
Frankly, this tank is not suitable at all for GF and that filter takes up almost 1/4 of its space. Even lowering it will not help, but changing to a airstone will at least calm the water a little. I have a few new spare pump and lots of airstone. You can contact me at 86165526 to collect them. :)

Ronald 30-08-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenson (Post 9494079)
I get what you mean bro, but I did noticed they will rest at the front half of the tank coz the flow is mainly at the second half of the tank away from the side you all see in the photo. Hopefully by reducing the flow rate would make them happier.

Currently before the next upgrade not possible to use airpump and air stone. Invested in hydra and running together with the bundled filter. Though the guy did told us to remove the built in filter on top of the tank since using hydra 20 now. But I just a bit KS and leave it there :-p

Will plan for the tank setup for the next upgrade.

Bro, this tank seems like for simple shrimp/tetra and planted setup. Not for goldfish at all! Really pity them....
Think it's better for the goldfish if you can just buy one of those big Toyogo plastic storage box and just use a simple sponge filter to keep them.

jenson 30-08-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald (Post 9494120)
Bro, this tank seems like for simple shrimp/tetra and planted setup. Not for goldfish at all! Really pity them....
Think it's better for the goldfish if you can just buy one of those big Toyogo plastic storage box and just use a simple sponge filter to keep them.

Yeah bro first time keep GFs and wifey said she likes that one then we just bought it. Only to realize later that's its a bad bad choice for those GFs. :-(

jenson 30-08-2013 06:24 PM

But Toyogo tub with airstone is a good idea. Drawback is cant see the GF, only can view from the top.

jenson 01-09-2013 10:33 AM

Solved the issue of "restless" goldfish, now only time to get tank upgrade next. Now they always can rest still in the middle or bottom of tank

jenson 20-09-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVR (Post 9494092)
Bro,
Frankly, this tank is not suitable at all for GF and that filter takes up almost 1/4 of its space. Even lowering it will not help, but changing to a airstone will at least calm the water a little. I have a few new spare pump and lots of airstone. You can contact me at 86165526 to collect them. :)

Oops, sorry brother, overlooked your offer, bought an air pump for them from Y618 2 weeks ago with air stone. Should have contacted you for offer :eek:

To my surprise, that built in OHF spoilt after slightly more than 1 month of usage, no warranty card given, and I wonder the LFS I bought it from (Xing Xing) will accept replacement or repair or not, but I supposed it's cheap stuff, so I didn't bother much but go straight to purchase a Shiruba air pump for that 6 GFs.

Now they seems happier and swim around, but I still find it way too small for them, and I'm constantly looking for best quote and best timing to house them in a bigger tank with Air Stones and perhaps a new OHF for them.

Planning for a 3 (L) x 2 (D) x 1.5 (W) tank by end of the year, it should fit my budget better as I have tighter budget (Wife complaint fishkeeping is just as expensive as photography based on what she observed we hobbyist spent on fishes and the equipments/food/tank).

jenson 09-10-2013 02:02 PM

Already bought a 4 feet tank with sump from a reefer. It's an internal overflow system to the sump. Just done bleaching main tank and now half way bleaching sump. Will continue with vinegar soak tonight when I get home. Will run the main tank without sump with air stone first. Maybe temporarily use the Hydra 20 to help a bit though its not strong enough.

Things will get better once I gotten a pump for the sump and get ready the basic medias.

longyi 09-10-2013 05:05 PM

Great to hear from you that you've upgrade your tank size and now looking forward to see your goldfish update pics.:)

jenson 09-10-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longyi (Post 9527694)
Great to hear from you that you've upgrade your tank size and now looking forward to see your goldfish update pics.:)

Thanks Longyi!

Yeah, been trying hard to get those fishes a new home. I want to see them swimming happily in their new home too.


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)