Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cichlid Experiences (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Altum Angel - Great Disappointment! (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341348)

wasaabi 17-10-2008 12:58 AM

Altum Angel - Great Disappointment!

My 2 attempts to keep AA was a complete failure, depsite obtaining so much information from this forum; no luck!:confused::confused:

I have bought many remedies that would help to the tune of $150, but nothing works. Presently I am left with the last 2 AA out of the 10 and still unable to recover from the fin-rot, mouth-rot & columnaris after 6 days treating with Furan2.

I Quit:o

zoids 17-10-2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasaabi (Post 6234651)
My 2 attempts to keep AA was a complete failure, depsite obtaining so much information from this forum; no luck!:confused::confused:

I have bought many remedies that would help to the tune of $150, but nothing works. Presently I am left with the last 2 AA out of the 10 and still unable to recover from the fin-rot, mouth-rot & columnaris after 6 days treating with Furan2.

What's your setup like bro. You mix with other angels?

wasaabi 17-10-2008 01:26 AM

I do have some Peruvian Angel when I first put them together, but when I notice the start of a whitish coat on the fins & body, I smell trouble. I quickly remove those Peruvian but maybe it is too late now.

Anyway I am waiting for the remaining 2 AA to give up their lives and I am moving on to start a new species. :)

zoids 17-10-2008 01:37 AM

Well, I think that's the mistake you made bro. Well, all the best in the new hobby.

illumnae 17-10-2008 01:52 AM

Don't lose heart. I lost 22 pieces before finally managing to keep my final 7 alive :) I've found that usually when the columnaris starts to show, it's touch and go even with Furan-2. Preventive treating once you get the fish is better. Mixing with other wild species is also risky as they are more delicate than their robust scalare counterparts

adriantan78 17-10-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Sad to hear ur lose bro ... Keeping Altum is indeed quite a stressful hobby, which I had juz found out oso.

Tenenbaums 17-10-2008 10:25 AM

i ever treat with Furan 2 for more than 2 week..it take quite some time to recover from fin-rot, mouth-rot slime & columnaris...and i dont even mix with others fish..but those altum still fall sick..sigh..

Quote:

illumnae 17-10-2008 11:33 AM

the fish may already be exposed to it from fisherman/exporter/importer/LFS side, so not mixing with other fish doesn't mean they won't get it. further, i've read that the columnaris bacteria actually always exists in our tanks, it's just that the fish will be infected in times of stress, and i guess altums being very delicate and stressed upon arrival are particularly succeptible to it.

There's no point treating columnaris beyond the recommended dosage i believe. Furan2 recommends a 4 day treatment followed by another 4 day one if necessary. I hesitated a little too long before starting my treatment and lost 2, but the remaining 7 are still doing well with just a 4 day treatment. Could it be that overtreating stressed out the fish?

itchy 17-10-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasaabi (Post 6234787)
I do have some Peruvian Angel when I first put them together, but when I notice the start of a whitish coat on the fins & body, I smell trouble. I quickly remove those Peruvian but maybe it is too late now.

Anyway I am waiting for the remaining 2 AA to give up their lives and I am moving on to start a new species. :)

Whitish coating can be cure by simply a dose of PP solutions. My altums from seaview's fins are burnt till short short like normal angels but they recover back without any medication but i give them good condition water and food. They are kept alone without other angels though. Hope you don't lose heart and try the challenge again, bro :)

itchy 17-10-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adriantan78 (Post 6235189)
Sad to hear ur lose bro ... Keeping Altum is indeed quite a stressful hobby, which I had juz found out oso.

Why stress? :confused: They are beautiful fishes :)