Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guppy Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Catching wild guppies in Singapore (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534668)

Manderic 25-10-2015 04:37 PM

Catching wild guppies in Singapore

Hi all,

I am looking for sites to catch some wild guppies. Last heard, there is a drain near West coast park that might still hold some of the wild remnants of the revered fancy guppies we keep.

While wild guppies/ "longkang" fish catching may sound ridiculous or absurd, I am catching them for some test crosses with the fancy strains that I keep. For those who wish to come along, please feel free to do so. :)

Xiao Qiu 04-11-2015 01:03 PM

bro , nowadays very difficult to catch colorful male. you may want to try Kampong Eunos drain , can get many big sizes female. Once a while might see some normal colorful male. Most of the wild male does not have color.:p

Kohaku 04-11-2015 01:19 PM

Most wild guppies are gone. My spot at kaki bukit has become an industrial estate

I heard an uncle selling sg wild guppies in his mkt fish stall at amk st 52. Dunno where he catch them. Maybe u can ask him where he catch them.

Xiao Qiu 04-11-2015 03:48 PM

Ulu Pandan the big drain used to has many endlers 2 decade back, not sure now still have or not? can find normal grade koi as well. nowadays NPark cover up drains and make full use of space to make small parks all over SG, hence many wild guppies done. :(

Manderic 04-11-2015 04:23 PM

Yeap precisely. Now that all the drains have been covered up, don't think we will get to see longkang fish anymore. As for that Uncle, thanks for the heads up.

I stay at Eunos area but I am not sure which drain you are referring to. Used to catch the brightly coloured males in the canal at the back of my house as a child but it is gone.

I did saw some small fish in a drain at MacPherson road while I was visiting Green Chapter last week but felt embarrassed to take a closer look as there are some people around.

vadriewyn 04-11-2015 06:38 PM

Actually a lot of roadside storm drains probably still have many wild guppies. I used to catch them when I was young by climbing down using the small holes on the side of the drain as grip. Should still have a lot of open storm drains along the sides of the main roads with the green railings?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Xiao Qiu 05-11-2015 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manderic (Post 9915211)
Yeap precisely. Now that all the drains have been covered up, don't think we will get to see longkang fish anymore. As for that Uncle, thanks for the heads up.

I stay at Eunos area but I am not sure which drain you are referring to. Used to catch the brightly coloured males in the canal at the back of my house as a child but it is gone.

I did saw some small fish in a drain at MacPherson road while I was visiting Green Chapter last week but felt embarrassed to take a closer look as there are some people around.

Bro , try google search 'kampong Eunos ' small drain between Dengfu Ville and Federation of Art Societies. Drain not very deep , two person with two big nets can catch lots. :D

patclay 05-11-2015 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kohaku (Post 9915180)
Most wild guppies are gone. My spot at kaki bukit has become an industrial estate

I heard an uncle selling sg wild guppies in his mkt fish stall at amk st 52. Dunno where he catch them. Maybe u can ask him where he catch them.

Trade secret uncle can share?

Kohaku 05-11-2015 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patclay (Post 9915287)
Trade secret uncle can share?

He shared with me, but you will find the answer very......:confused::confused::confused: ;)

Xiao Qiu 05-11-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kohaku (Post 9915301)
He shared with me, but you will find the answer very......:confused::confused::confused: ;)

wow, what's the answer ??:confused: can share ?