Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Freshwater Invertebrates Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   improvement of my shrimp keeping (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414145)

SFC 16-03-2010 04:05 PM

improvement of my shrimp keeping

Dear All,

Three months back, I started plants tank including 100 nos of cherries shrimp to test but it happen to die 2 or 3 nos daily and getting lesser in my tank.

I decided to buy lower grade CRS(10 nos) which they told me not require chiller. After bought them happily put them in the tank. It’s great but it happening again 2 or 3 nos die daily. About a week, my lower grade CRS all gone and including of the previous cherries too. I really upset. I suspect my water issue so I change a bit of the tank water. After changing, I went to clement Blk 328 very often, I bought sakura and the lower grade CRS. It happen again, so I consult the shop uncle what had gone wrong? He claimed that my water issue and promote me to buy the biological aquarium supplement. For information, yesterday evening I started to put a bottle cap of the supplement but this morning I was 1 die.

Please advice.

reaverx 16-03-2010 04:32 PM

u should do research before just buying shrimp and dumping into tank ok ...

firstly did u cycle yr tank ?

did u acclimitize yr shrimp ?

temp wise - CRS even the low grades require at least a fan to bring down the temp ideal is 23-25deg for most shrimps

read the FAQs for more info

Bluebubble 16-03-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFC (Post 7629161)
Dear All,

Please advice.

Concentrate on planted tank first lor. Keep a couple of otto and snails. Wait for six months before you start introducing shrimps. Invest in filter and fans to keep the water cool and clean. Wish to see your tank photo.:)

magpie 16-03-2010 05:41 PM

Using a fan to cool down the tank temperature will only reduce the temperature by 1-2 degree from the ambient room temperature. For this kind of weather in Singapore, I don't think you can reduce the tank temperature to below 26 degree. If you are really into CRS and not bear to see them died, best if got budget invest in a chiller to maintain the cold temperature. Otherwise stick to cherry/sakura which can withstand higher temperature.

wenjun 17-03-2010 08:33 PM

Bro you said you have got 100 cherry shrimps and 10 C grades CRS +/-. All in your tank?!?!

Care to share your tank size? Water parameters? Any other inhabitants other than your shrimps?

Fyi, did you add all your shrimps( 100 cherry + crs ) in one shot into your tank? If yes, it would cause an increase in BioLoad thus, it might be the result of your shrimp deaths.

Wjustin 17-03-2010 09:37 PM

Share your water parameters with us . I suspect is that yr filter cannot handle that much bioload.

oscar77 17-03-2010 09:54 PM

Did you recycle your tank?

benjamin 18-03-2010 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 7629386)
Using a fan to cool down the tank temperature will only reduce the temperature by 1-2 degree from the ambient room temperature. For this kind of weather in Singapore, I don't think you can reduce the tank temperature to below 26 degree. If you are really into CRS and not bear to see them died, best if got budget invest in a chiller to maintain the cold temperature. Otherwise stick to cherry/sakura which can withstand higher temperature.

hi bro, with a fan, i managed to bring the water level down to 24 degrees. no joke about it. haha. i guess tats enough to keep high grade shirmps already right?

reaverx 18-03-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamin (Post 7633293)
hi bro, with a fan, i managed to bring the water level down to 24 degrees. no joke about it. haha. i guess tats enough to keep high grade shirmps already right?

ambient temp 30 deg , so how u brought it down to 24 ? very curious

kelvin77 18-03-2010 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamin (Post 7633293)

Bro,try getting a good termometer..i had 4 cheapo ones previously and all had different reading from same tank. One of it read 24 degrees when i only had 1 fan running on a 2 ft tank..:confused: