Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Freshwater Invertebrates Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   did something stupid, shrimps dying [PESTICIDE FROM NEW PLANT] (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346398)

ThoughTs 22-11-2008 01:52 AM

did something stupid, shrimps dying [PESTICIDE FROM NEW PLANT]

Really a bad day, in the middle of my exams, as I have finished one of my "hell" module, decided to go LFS relax buy some stuff before continue studying

bought some plants, introduced into the tank, go to the washroom and come back, my shrimps like very excited swimming around, especially the shrimplets, so many of them which i usually dont see as they r hiding..

then I realised the are swimming weirdly, more like twitching and then motionless and let the current carry them.. and I realised disaster!!! snail poison??

did a 50% WC, they still twitching and dying one by one, really a very very heart breaking sight.. gotta wait till tomorrow to see the full damage my stupidity had caused me..

and to think its the middle of my exams.. i really feel vv distressed now.. my studying desk is directly next to my tank..

but well.. hope some bros will be able to benefit and learn from my painful mistake..

dennal 22-11-2008 02:03 AM

sad to hear that ... next time better wash b4 put any new plant in ur tank.. dun think to much. shrimp die can buy more.. study hard fail exam need to retake and gpa drop this is worst than shrimp die...

Patrique 22-11-2008 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennal (Post 6344947)
sad to hear that ... next time better wash b4 put any new plant in ur tank.. dun think to much. shrimp die can buy more.. study hard fail exam need to retake and gpa drop this is worst than shrimp die...

agree.. u can always start your setup again, not as costly as being distracted during your exam period... prioritize bro! all the best for your exams and your shrimp tank! :)

ghim 22-11-2008 03:50 AM

Dont get too worried with your shrimps for now. Study well and you will be rewarded in future:)

chocolate 22-11-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghim (Post 6345192)
Dont get too worried with your shrimps for now. Study well and you will be rewarded in future:)

agreed....good results will determine u to get more shrimps in future:D:D

Leong68 22-11-2008 09:12 AM

sad to hear that, bro

globalcookie 22-11-2008 11:00 AM

Always soak (like quarantin) plants for a while before introducing into tank. This not only help clean e plants, but also reduce chances of introducing snails or parasites into e tank.

I tink it's not abt monetary lost but seeing LIVES lost that is causing e guilt.

Shimps' lifes are in our hands and if we are not serious, might as well not keep it. What shrimp die can buy more?

ThoughTs 22-11-2008 11:58 AM

i actually sat in front of my tank till 4 am and see them die one by one..
300++ shrimps now estimated less den 20

and the remaining ones don't seem to be behaving normally too.. some still twitching and lying on their backs..

ya its not the money.. they have been with me for half a year.. from a humble 50 shrimps grow till a huge population..

what is the problem?? snail poison?? my hillstream loaches don't seem the least affected but my bumble bee horned seemed alot less active than usual.. but with snails, its not as easy to judge..

might buy a puffer to end their suffering..

69efan69 22-11-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by globalcookie (Post 6345437)
Always soak (like quarantin) plants for a while before introducing into tank. This not only help clean e plants, but also reduce chances of introducing snails or parasites into e tank.

I tink it's not abt monetary lost but seeing LIVES lost that is causing e guilt.

Shimps' lifes are in our hands and if we are not serious, might as well not keep it. What shrimp die can buy more?

Yeaaa i will feel the same about losing shrimps lives. I also have this bad habit of putting plants straight away. How long do you guys "quarantine" the plants before putting into shrimps tank?

trevally 22-11-2008 12:35 PM

Sad to hear the news. I dun think parasites will immediately kill your shrimp. More like there's medication or copper that come with the plants. Next time, when introducing new plants into the tank, remember to wash it thoroughly or soak it for a few days.