Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Reducing nitrate level in tank. (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476085)

Dwight Howard 19-09-2011 05:18 PM

Reducing nitrate level in tank.

Hi bros, what are the way of reducing nitrate level in tank. I did a search and found out that frogbits actually absorb nitrate. Are there any other floating plants that also absorb nitrate? I plan to add some into my aro tank and where can i get frogbits? Any other ways to reduce other than using plants? Thanks bros.
Cheers!

Oneiromancer 19-09-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight Howard (Post 8653357)
Hi bros, what are the way of reducing nitrate level in tank. I did a search and found out that frogbits actually absorb nitrate. Are there any other floating plants that also absorb nitrate? I plan to add some into my aro tank and where can i get frogbits? Any other ways to reduce other than using plants? Thanks bros.
Cheers!

Can try the buy/sell forum. People might have them. Can also reduce by feeding less. Other people use money plants or pandan plants.

boxedfish 19-09-2011 05:31 PM

hornworts also.. or any fast growing plants... and also regular water changes

issacyeo 19-09-2011 05:45 PM

few options for u to choose:
- plants (which u have ruled out in ur initial post)
- regular WC
- k1 moving media

tmark 19-09-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oneiromancer (Post 8653370)
Can try the buy/sell forum. People might have them. Can also reduce by feeding less. Other people use money plants or pandan plants.

hi bro you mean money plants or pandan if i just put inside the tank they will just grow w/o any sand?

Dwight Howard 19-09-2011 06:48 PM

Hi bros do you mean money plant and pandan as those plants we keep in pots? I had kept a look out in the b/s forum for the past 1 week and no one seems to be selling them. Are there any LFS that carries hornworts/frogbits? My WC routine is 30% every week. As for the K1 moving media, i had made one and installed it in my tank a few days ago. It is difficult for me reduce feeding as if my aro and ray do not eat to their fill, they would splash water and creating a lot of noise.

hardric 19-09-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by issacyeo (Post 8653406)
few options for u to choose:
- plants (which u have ruled out in ur initial post)
- regular WC
- k1 moving media

Excuse my ignorance. my understanding of the bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrates doesn't like oxygen & requires low water flow. can k1 moving media reduce nitrates? since the K1 moving media seems to create an opposite environment.

xiaoqiang75 19-09-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight Howard (Post 8653482)
Hi bros do you mean money plant and pandan as those plants we keep in pots? I had kept a look out in the b/s forum for the past 1 week and no one seems to be selling them. Are there any LFS that carries hornworts/frogbits? My WC routine is 30% every week. As for the K1 moving media, i had made one and installed it in my tank a few days ago. It is difficult for me reduce feeding as if my aro and ray do not eat to their fill, they would splash water and creating a lot of noise.

I juz got a few hornworts at c328 clementi last week

Dwight Howard 19-09-2011 09:09 PM

I'm actually hoping to look for shops in the north as I live in the north too. So going to clementi would be inconvenient for me.

xiaoqiang75 19-09-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardric (Post 8653581)
Excuse my ignorance. my understanding of the bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrates doesn't like oxygen & requires low water flow. can k1 moving media reduce nitrates? since the K1 moving media seems to create an opposite environment.

U are right bro k1 media only help to break down ammonia to nitrates. Nitrates don't like oxygen so using slow water flow in a denitrator help reduce oxygen level n denitrifying bacteria grow.