Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Building Of My Platform Pond - A Dream Comes True (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528319)

ymmij 26-02-2018 03:39 PM

oh dear, the red looked beautiful.

i know nothing of eggs causing death and can only offer my condolences.

DragonFireSG 26-02-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10008852)
Today quite sad as one of my favourite Red passed away...

https://i.imgur.com/0Fy36z2.jpg

As I opened up the stomach to check, I discovered there were eggs inside :(

https://i.imgur.com/5GGxo06.jpg

Can I know if we could do anything when our aro has eggs in them? Is it that these eggs actually kill the aro itself? Sad... :(

Being eggbound can kill koi. Not sure about live bearing aros tho.

ThomasLim 27-02-2018 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10009124)
Being eggbound can kill koi. Not sure about live bearing aros tho.

So what is the solution for koi? How do u detect?

DragonFireSG 27-02-2018 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10009134)
So what is the solution for koi? How do u detect?

If the koi unusually and uniformly fat around the belly it might be suspected.
If fat only in certain spots, it might be a tumor.

For koi we drastically reduce feed to encourage egg reabsorbtion.
Not sure if that will work in aro.

Koi are cold water creatures who in nature do not eat all year round. Excessive nutrition might be a cause. Some folk actually almost stop feeding a month or two every year to try to emulate a natural food shortage.

ThomasLim 04-03-2018 10:29 PM

Hi all, I have a freaking experience last night- All my fish almost died due to a thick layer of oil film covering the surface of the water. Though I have a strong air pump, it doesn’t seems to help to break up the oil film layer. There were lots of protein bubbles too and all the fishes were restless and gulping heavily...

Yesterday I fed my fishes in the morning and discovered a filter pump was down. So I went Nanyang to get a new filter pump and decided to replace the pump and overhaul my filter media together with 40% water change (I regretted doing these).
After all these were done, I discovered the other filter pump also broke down suddenly. Thinking that out of 2 filter pumps, only 1 down and the other new pump was running, I decided to wait till next day to buy another filter pump for replacement. I knew that the filtering will not be strong as only one pump was running....

At night around 11+pm, I suddenly have a weird feeling and decided to go out and take a look at my pond. To my horror, I discovered the thick oil film and protein bubbles on the surface of the pond. I checked and confirmed that the filter pump was still running and the air pump was also running well... however the overflow was not working well as the only filter pump was not strong enough to pull the water down from the surface.... I saw eaten kunning fish being spit out and that might have caused the thick oil film and protein bubbles.

I quickly release the water valve to remove the high water level from the tank to the level that it was near to the overflow inlet level. I also removed the wire mesh of the overflow inlet and let flow into the overflow inlet without any obstruction... only then the overflow started to draw the oil film in.... I also removed the kunning fish from the pond...

After a while, all the oil film and protein bubbles were ‘suck’ in by the overflow inlet, and things were finally back to normal...

Lesson learnt:
1. Try to avoid NOVA filter. I have bought 3 or 4 replacement filter pumps to date... If I have a chance to change, I will try other brand.

2. Never water change after heavy feeding. Important!

3. Must have 2 smaller filter pumps instead of 1 strong pump. If 1 broke down, at least we still have another one running.

4. Must make sure to get a good air pump. I think I am lucky that I got myself a good and durable air pump. I think it is the strong air pump that had kept the fish alive till my rescue. Else with the thick oil film layer, the fish should have been dead. I will recommend to get a HiBlow air pump. It is still doing well after all these years.

5. Must make sure there is a overflow filter to remove the oil film and protein bubbles... I think this is important.

I hope the above could help any bros that are building and setting up a tank/pond... I am really lucky to see my fish still alive 😬

jiahuang 05-03-2018 03:52 AM

Glad nothing happen to your fish bro ... learnt something new

Aro77 05-03-2018 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10009358)
Hi all, I have a freaking experience last night- All my fish almost died due to a thick layer of oil film covering the surface of the water. Though I have a strong air pump, it doesn’t seems to help to break up the oil film layer. There were lots of protein bubbles too and all the fishes were restless and gulping heavily...

Yesterday I fed my fishes in the morning and discovered a filter pump was down. So I went Nanyang to get a new filter pump and decided to replace the pump and overhaul my filter media together with 40% water change (I regretted doing these).
After all these were done, I discovered the other filter pump also broke down suddenly. Thinking that out of 2 filter pumps, only 1 down and the other new pump was running, I decided to wait till next day to buy another filter pump for replacement. I knew that the filtering will not be strong as only one pump was running....

At night around 11+pm, I suddenly have a weird feeling and decided to go out and take a look at my pond. To my horror, I discovered the thick oil film and protein bubbles on the surface of the pond. I checked and confirmed that the filter pump was still running and the air pump was also running well... however the overflow was not working well as the only filter pump was not strong enough to pull the water down from the surface.... I saw eaten kunning fish being spit out and that might have caused the thick oil film and protein bubbles.

I quickly release the water valve to remove the high water level from the tank to the level that it was near to the overflow inlet level. I also removed the wire mesh of the overflow inlet and let flow into the overflow inlet without any obstruction... only then the overflow started to draw the oil film in.... I also removed the kunning fish from the pond...

After a while, all the oil film and protein bubbles were ‘suck’ in by the overflow inlet, and things were finally back to normal...

Lesson learnt:
1. Try to avoid NOVA filter. I have bought 3 or 4 replacement filter pumps to date... If I have a chance to change, I will try other brand.

2. Never water change after heavy feeding. Important!

3. Must have 2 smaller filter pumps instead of 1 strong pump. If 1 broke down, at least we still have another one running.

4. Must make sure to get a good air pump. I think I am lucky that I got myself a good and durable air pump. I think it is the strong air pump that had kept the fish alive till my rescue. Else with the thick oil film layer, the fish should have been dead. I will recommend to get a HiBlow air pump. It is still doing well after all these years.

5. Must make sure there is a overflow filter to remove the oil film and protein bubbles... I think this is important.

I hope the above could help any bros that are building and setting up a tank/pond... I am really lucky to see my fish still alive 😬

i have the same experience with nova pumps, i have 5 spoilt ones which are still in my storeroom. About 3 years ago, i gave up using these and moved to Amphi by ocean free and Tsurumi, so far all ok and quite good, i also have 3 sets of extra pumps inside my storeroom now, especially for those who have multiple tanks and also costly fishes, having extra set of airpumps and water pumps and other essentials is a must and these have come in useful for me, more times than i can count.

DragonFireSG 05-03-2018 11:49 AM

For pumps authentic Tsurumi is advisable. They use solid quality parts. I ran mine for 5 years before a piece of carbon from a ripped bag jammed the rotor and damaged the motor.

noidea 06-03-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10009364)
For pumps authentic Tsurumi is advisable. They use solid quality parts. I ran mine for 5 years before a piece of carbon from a ripped bag jammed the rotor and damaged the motor.

I agree, so far all my pond pump is using Tsurumi pump.

Failure do happen but normally it is my own fault of not turning off the pump when the water level is too low for the pump and it will end up to have shorter life span.

ThomasLim 11-03-2018 04:41 PM

Thks bro for the advise. I think if the NOVA pump breaks down again, I will get myself Tsurumi. However I am not sure if the piping can fix or not, and if the compartment is big enough to accommodate different pump size... lastly I am worry that Tsurumi is too powerful and dry out the last compartment easily causing the pump to be exposed above water...