Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Articles, Resources & FAQs (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   breeding diary (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496446)

RELAX 01-08-2012 04:51 PM

breeding diary

i am returning to flowerhorn hobby because of this pair that i acquired few mths ago.
i tell myself,this pair is not bad looking,worth to keep and try to continue the line.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/u...royalpair8.jpg

i bought the male first,then few wks later the female
left side female,right side male(in case got ppl mistaken):o

RELAX 01-08-2012 04:57 PM

the couple especially the male went crazy upon first introduction,i did not do the usual way of divider first then introduction later method.
i immediately put in the female with him in the same tank.
guess what,no fight but alot alot of fanning and dancing

next few days,the couple body colour got so red like bleeding blood,still as loving and defensive to intruder(human shadow and hand signal),the good thing is confirm safe,zero fighting and zero jaw locking that i worried most:)

Navy 01-08-2012 04:59 PM

Wah! Power pair. Let me know when they start spawning.

KAO LUO 01-08-2012 05:01 PM

wah ,, now whole singapore market ha RD ,,,,,,,, nice pair ......so fast .. female lay egg be4?

RELAX 01-08-2012 05:04 PM

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/u...royalpair6.jpg

the body and finnage damage of the female is substain from previous mating by the first owner.
infact this girl since day 1 with my prince,hv no injury and actually healing each day!
now the big question and worries over my head is - will the dreaded male infertile!.....he is a virgin and on untested ground.:(

RELAX 01-08-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navy (Post 9096206)
Wah! Power pair. Let me know when they start spawning.

aiyo i cannot remember how many batch liao lah

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAO LUO (Post 9096208)
wah ,, now whole singapore market ha RD ,,,,,,,, nice pair ......so fast .. female lay egg be4?

yes laid many times,but female is stupid type.i will explain as the diary continue,....:(

RELAX 01-08-2012 05:14 PM

strange feeling,...how come i feel like i am inside sammy boy writing FR:eek::D

craz 01-08-2012 05:46 PM

wow...stunning looking FH there...so red

RELAX 01-08-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craz (Post 9096247)
wow...stunning looking FH there...so red

ya,...after away from flowerhorn for sometime,this species caught my attention again for their redness and kok;)

RELAX 01-08-2012 07:29 PM

it only take less than a wk when the female decided to lay eggs.strangly unlike my previous flowerhorn breeding experience,she choosen a flat site(meaning she lay eggs on flat glass,instead of the flowerpot and slats that i introduced randomly across the 532 tank)

soooo,....many eggs was laid,and male seem finished his sprawning routine with perfect 10,....should be done deal i guess.

now is the most important wait,....will the eggs hatch:confused:

Beerman 01-08-2012 07:35 PM

Nobody know, lets pray! :)

RELAX 01-08-2012 07:38 PM

i let the pair continue to stay together since no fighting sighted and they take turn fanning those eggs.

by second day evening,as expected some eggs turn pale white in colour,result not bad,seem 80% are good.

next morning to my horror,the remaining 80%seem not charming,most of them turning white too.my heart sank:(

before evening all are white and i am moody,the male is infertile:mad:
the female still hopelessly fanning those spoil eggs

Ong88 02-08-2012 01:27 AM

Try again bro. Very nice couple.

If second spawn still all unfertilized, contact BubbleBubble or me to help the third try.

KAO LUO 02-08-2012 11:43 AM

maybe male fish cannot work .,.,

iscariot 02-08-2012 09:04 PM

If after few tries dun work, try changing male. :)

RELAX 29-08-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerman (Post 9096387)
Nobody know, lets pray! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ong88 (Post 9096831)
Try again bro. Very nice couple.

If second spawn still all unfertilized, contact BubbleBubble or me to help the third try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAO LUO (Post 9097145)
maybe male fish cannot work .,.,

Quote:

Originally Posted by iscariot (Post 9097770)
If after few tries dun work, try changing male. :)

surprisingly this thread still avail,many days ago went missing as i wanted to continue the diary,.......will continue now:)

RELAX 29-08-2012 02:53 PM

unknowingly the female actually manage to pick up and transfer the surviving fries to the flowerpot base not far from the spawning spots where almost 90% of eggs are spoil.

the percentage of spoil eggs are painfully high as compare to my kamfa species which is 80-90% success.

i ask myself why,both species setup are the same,why kamfa so good but dragon so poor??:confused:

RELAX 29-08-2012 02:57 PM

when the fries are big enough to be counted,they are less than 110 pieces if i remember correctly.

well i thought maybe the male is a first timer,so i waited for the second spawn patiently,.....but the second spawn got worst,.....counted less than 60 pieces :(

RELAX 29-08-2012 03:07 PM

meantime my kamfa was breeding like mad,almost every 3wks one batch of 400fries success rate.

infact my kamfa are so successful that i intentionally kill off(wipe out)about 2-3 batches of fries before they learn to swim.

later stage of breeding the dragon pair,i force the female to lay eggs on flowerpot with curve rather than on flat glass surface(meaning,whenever she started fanning the flat site,i keep disturbing her until she gaveup on the site)

true enough,with a curve pattern breeding site,the success rate improve to hit 200plus plus fries:)

hijackng 29-08-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RELAX (Post 9127269)
meantime my kamfa was breeding like mad,almost every 3wks one batch of 400fries success rate.

infact my kamfa are so successful that i intentionally kill off(wipe out)about 2-3 batches of fries before they learn to swim.

later stage of breeding the dragon pair,i force the female to lay eggs on flowerpot with curve rather than on flat glass surface(meaning,whenever she started fanning the flat site,i keep disturbing her until she gaveup on the site)

true enough,with a curve pattern breeding site,the success rate improve to hit 200plus plus fries:)

Interesting input about curve breeding site. Thanks for sharing.

RELAX 29-08-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hijackng (Post 9127305)
Interesting input about curve breeding site. Thanks for sharing.

is from observing the two different species spawning on flat site
1)kamfa female is more clever,she know how to lay eggs without overlapping each other

2)dragon female more stupid,she lay overlapping eggs onto each other,making them almost impossible for male to hv good aim

so with curve breeding site,the dragon female is more or less force to spread out her eggs without overlapping,maybe is just her:mad:

hijackng 29-08-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RELAX (Post 9127317)
is from observing the two different species spawning on flat site
1)kamfa female is more clever,she know how to lay eggs without overlapping each other

2)dragon female more stupid,she lay overlapping eggs onto each other,making them almost impossible for male to hv good aim

so with curve breeding site,the dragon female is more or less force to spread out her eggs without overlapping,maybe is just her:mad:

Or can it be your red dragon are bigger size and flat site is smaller as compare to flower pot. Hence not enough space to spread out the egg.

RELAX 29-08-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hijackng (Post 9127347)
Or can it be your red dragon are bigger size and flat site is smaller as compare to flower pot. Hence not enough space to spread out the egg.

infact kamfa female bigger in size.:)
nothing to do with size,can see clearly dragon female lay overlapping eggs:(

hijackng 30-08-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RELAX (Post 9127395)
infact kamfa female bigger in size.:)
nothing to do with size,can see clearly dragon female lay overlapping eggs:(

oic...... Another reason I think is likely the male see not experience enough. Just have to wait for a better spawn.

TigerLove 15-10-2014 09:40 PM

Good luck bro!!!

7576 08-10-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RELAX (Post 9096216)
strange feeling,...how come i feel like i am inside sammy boy writing FR:eek::D

Hahahahahaha .........pls cont bro