Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Laying Acrylic as Tank Base (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510620)

Flairtender 22-05-2013 02:32 AM

Laying Acrylic as Tank Base

Hi All ,

Just want to share how i did my acrylic base for my tank , cause heard alot
of ppl afraid of acrylic bending , trapping dirt below .... floating !!! :eek::p

1st ) Place to get the acrylic is Dama @ Ubi
Size 5mm and if using white try to get the matt white .

2nd) Price - For my 6.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 base plus back and 2 side i spent about $88 inclusive a $10 slant cut for the EOS portion . ( I actually bought a 6 ft by 4 ft to cut and there's even some left over )

3rd ) Meassuring part ( try to measure in inches and convert to millimeters , for easier conversation with the dama sales person )

A ) For my case 1 need 2 pc .

First get ur tank bottom bracing , should be 3" .

Next take ur tank outer dimension ... eg 6 x 2.5 x 2.5 = 72" x 30" x 30" ( then divide into half )

B ) For the width part 30" minus off 6"bracing = 24 " ( then convert to mm should be 610 mm and minus another 5mm
Should be 605mm for my case ) To play safe go for 602 or 603 mm
* To be more safe , measure ur top tank 2 pc glass cover width without the top bracing should be quite accurate.
For those with ohf or other cover and no bottom bracing simply take ur tank width and minus of about 8mm .

C ) Lenght part - Use ur top tank glass cover as a guide again . Push ur top left cover to the extreme left ( right vise versa ) Use ur measuring tape to measure across without the top bracing if u get what i mean . Should be quite simple now if u understand my english .:p
*****REMEMBER TO MINUS OFF 5MM EACH SIDE SO NEXT TIME CAN TAKE OUT EASILY! )

D ) here comes the tricky part the EOS slanting part ...
Actually quite easy .... Use a big A4 paper to trace out the slant part on top ur glass cover . And when cutting @ dama
Just put the trace A4 paper over the corner of the pc of acrylic u gonna cut and draw a slant line .

All these measurement are done exterior , no need to backbreak to measure internally .

* To really play safe about the measurement , buy 1 pc of big 3mm to 4mm corrugated sheet to cut out to try the half
side for the EOS slanting part . U will get the measurement quite accurately from there .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think using acrylic base is a better choice then laying white tile. ( my view only )

Cost only slightly $10 to 20 difference , my estimation only . Might be about the same or cheaper .
Some tiles shop only sell and doesnt cut so a hassle for u to bring the tiles around .
Some tiles can't lay totally flat and quite dangerous to lay and remove in future .
Difficult to measure also .

Thats all for now , when i'm free will try to take some pictures to post here .

1.6 TS 22-05-2013 10:18 AM

Thanks for sharing your idea.
Any pictures to show the end result.

Heuer 22-05-2013 11:12 AM

yes. pictures will be great.

I have been toying with the idea of using acrylic to build a 250L tank.
I wounder if the cost will be cheaper than using glass?

anyone can comment on this?

scottelfy 22-05-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heuer (Post 9396504)

I believe that it will be much more expensive

Flairtender 22-05-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heuer (Post 9396504)

Comfirm very expensive then glass ! Btw bro , mine is only cutting 2 pc acrylic at tank base , not a full acrylic tank .

Heuer 22-05-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottelfy (Post 9396537)
I believe that it will be much more expensive

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flairtender (Post 9396554)
Comfirm very expensive then glass ! Btw bro , mine is only cutting 2 pc acrylic at tank base , not a full acrylic tank .

OIC. Can forget about this idea and stick to glass tank liao. :)

actually i got this idea after watching this video. the clarity of acrylic is amazing.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I wonder if i diy, will it be much cheaper? :D

Flairtender 22-05-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heuer (Post 9396572)
OIC. Can forget about this idea and stick to glass tank liao. :)

actually i got this idea after watching this video. the clarity of acrylic is amazing.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I wonder if i diy, will it be much cheaper? :D

Faintzz .... wait this thread become rojak thread again dunno talk untill where liao .... :p

P.S - I started this thread cause alot of ppl pm me asking how to measure , buy etc . Not doing acrylic tank bro .

azon 22-05-2013 12:38 PM

can't wait to see the pics.. :)

Flairtender 22-05-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azon (Post 9396641)
can't wait to see the pics.. :)

My Office photobucket block .... tonite will upload .

Flairtender 22-05-2013 07:56 PM

here are the pics , pardon the shot from hp and dirty base ...

Overall
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...521_234821.jpg

Centre
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...521_234850.jpg

Side EOS slanting part
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...521_234844.jpg

tco 22-05-2013 08:04 PM

Nice and neat setup, thanks for sharing. Btw the base look abit dirty, are those algae?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Flairtender 22-05-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tco (Post 9397263)
Nice and neat setup, thanks for sharing. Btw the base look abit dirty, are those algae?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Thks bro yours is nice too ! Yes those are brown algae as i put my tank near to sunlight . Lazy to scrub .... :p

Flairtender 22-05-2013 08:39 PM

Heres some pics from another hobbyist tank .... he did a all round except front with acrylic . Think its a 4x2x2 tank IIRC . ( Hope the owner dun mind me posting the pics here )

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...y/acrylic2.jpg

The side are sure with normal sucker pad
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...y/acrylic1.jpg

Flairtender 22-05-2013 08:40 PM

Heres some pics from another hobbyist tank .... he did a all round except front with acrylic . Think its a 4x2x2 tank IIRC . ( Hope the owner dun mind me posting the pics here )

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...y/acrylic2.jpg

The side are secure with normal sucker pad
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...y/acrylic1.jpg

itchy 22-05-2013 09:28 PM

Bro, really thanks for your detail explanation with pix. Can ask you is it easy to maintain the base? Normal scrub will be enough? Thanks!

Flairtender 22-05-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchy (Post 9397332)
Bro, really thanks for your detail explanation with pix. Can ask you is it easy to maintain the base? Normal scrub will be enough? Thanks!

Yes easy to scrub with those normal soft sponge ..... should have taken when it was newly set-up .... more sparkling .:D ( All this photos are like a quick snap with my hp for sharing )

My tank beside window and direct sunlight thus the algae .

Anyone who has the same dimension as mine and want to do the base can pm me for the exact dimension .

itchy 22-05-2013 11:46 PM

Bro, can trouble you to help fellow Buangkokrian to measure when you free? Thinking to chnage white base see see :D

Flairtender 23-05-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchy (Post 9397492)
Bro, can trouble you to help fellow Buangkokrian to measure when you free? Thinking to chnage white base see see :D

Can no problem but on weekday nite only after 9 pm ok ....

1 plate satay , 1 bottle tiger and i packet hoon ki !!!

Just kidding !!!! :p:D:D

Flairtender 24-05-2013 01:57 PM

Ok getting too many pm for how to measure , i'm trying to draw out standard tank size like

5x2.5 and 6x2.5 tank with sump first . For those having odd dimension pls bear with me for awhile first .

Need to know how to use those drawing software like paint ? Or if not i will just take pic or scan my drawing and upload here .

Again pls comfirm your bracing measurement before u pm me .
MEASURE the bracing from external , or go to ur tank top view and visualize and measure . The 2.5W if width 3" bracing from all tankmakers should be standard 4 side 3 " . For the Length i need some time to calculate using my 6.5ft lenght tank . Again pls bear with me. Holiday today also busy need to run errand lah ....HAPPY VESAK DAY everyone in AF !!! :D

Flairtender 24-05-2013 11:23 PM

Ok here goes the 5ft X 2.5ft tank dimension first .

MAKE SURE U COMFIRM YOUR BOTTOM BRACING IS 4 SIDE 3"
AND THE EOS SIDE DIMENSION IS SAME AS MINE THEN U CUT .

I hold no responsibility if u cut wrong size !!!

( To play safe u just go popular or big stationery shop to buy those thick corrugated sheet to cut with penknife and try out first . )
Buy 1 big pc and cut the EOS side to try . ( u will see if the slanted part and width will sit in nicely below ur tank )

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...irway/5x25.png

Flairtender 24-05-2013 11:25 PM

This is just for ur reference , no need to show the acrylic cutter .
Just let u know how much u cutting off from the EOS slant part

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...airway/eos.png

Flairtender 24-05-2013 11:27 PM

6 x 2.5 ft coming up , having problem with photobucket ....

Occellatus 24-05-2013 11:30 PM

Way very very detailed with technical pics some more. Thumbs up up up!!!;)

I haven measured mine yet. Today busy remove side oyama and water change.:D

Flairtender 24-05-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Occellatus (Post 9399875)
Way very very detailed with technical pics some more. Thumbs up up up!!!;)

I haven measured mine yet. Today busy remove side oyama and water change.:D

This month eng eng can do , first time using paint .... took me ard 30 mins to figure out how to draw shape and line !!! :D

Bracing very easy to measure leh , go to ur top tank view and see u will get wat i mean .;)

Occellatus 24-05-2013 11:39 PM

Bro i can do technical drawing for u la. Use hand sketch and apps me. I convert for you.

Yeah its easy! After reading ur post earlier, i went to tank top to see. Measured width of bracing (excluding tank glass thickness). Its 3 inches!!! So i can use the domensions liao!!!

Heres the lateral and longitudinal bracing width (excluding glass thickness at 3 inches).

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...ps351f6bf2.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...psa6a2842e.jpg

Flairtender 24-05-2013 11:47 PM

Yes Occ , thats the way to measure !!! U got it !

Now u just need to go to my post 20 . See the bottom pc EOS slanted pc .

Measure from top again see the 385mm one issit the same ?

If same u are good to go !!! :D

( BTW , Pls dun ask me how to measure for tiles ... too chim for me to convert . U can try using my measurement and ask the tile cutter to calculate and cut for u ) Just to add on why i dun use tile , if u dun silicone down the base , when algae grow and u scrub the tiles will move too !!! this will damage ur side silicon and add extra pressure to the tank base )

Occellatus 24-05-2013 11:56 PM

385mm measured from internal glass wall (including 3 inch bracing) or from edge of bracing?

Should be from edge of bracing rite?

Flairtender 25-05-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Occellatus (Post 9399922)
385mm measured from internal glass wall (including 3 inch bracing) or from edge of bracing?

Should be from edge of bracing rite?

Ok , still the same everything "VISUALIZE and MEASURE" from the top tank .

When u see from the top , u will see ur glass cover overlaping ur bracing rite ?

Just imagine the base is on top now , measure the 385 mm and if u can reach the 456 mm area without the bracing . Get wat i mean ?

My english not very good , dunno how to describe .... :p

Flairtender 25-05-2013 12:04 AM

measure from outer edge to edge of ur bracing .... should be quite easy to figure out !!! :D

Occellatus 25-05-2013 12:05 AM

I get it!!! Could not get it just now cause i measured from tank side and failed to visualise from the inside.

Its 385mm!!! See....correct? :p

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...ps4ece3242.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...psc29ba6ab.jpg

Occellatus 25-05-2013 12:17 AM

My endy from below also luan kan. So late liao still open glass cover to disturb them.:p:p

Flairtender 25-05-2013 12:18 AM

Tio lah lah , cannot measure from the side cause if got oyama cannot see !

U dun actually have to open the top cover also .... glass cover is transparent and can measure overlapping if u know wat i mean .

Occellatus 25-05-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flairtender (Post 9399949)
Tio lah lah , cannot measure from the side cause if got oyama cannot see !

U dun actually have to open the top cover also .... glass cover is transparent and can measure overlapping if u know wat i mean .

Ok. I will bring your dimensions to go cut tomorrow. Should be correct based on what I've counter measured earlier. I will tell them to split the entire thing into half so that I can place them in. :D

Flairtender 25-05-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Occellatus (Post 9399950)
Ok. I will bring your dimensions to go cut tomorrow. Should be correct based on what I've counter measured earlier. I will tell them to split the entire thing into half so that I can place them in. :D

Put in must got skill also hoh .

First lower the pc without EOS halfway only and use a long pvc pipe or those mr aqua ohf long piping . ( Inverted broom also can lah :p:D )

Hold half the acrylic and slowly lay down once u get it to sit in between ur bracing , then slowly use the hard piping to push to the end first .

The again do the same for the eos part , leave some gap for the EOS part so next time can remove easily . ;)

(* My dimension already got gap allowance so dun go and minus further )

Occellatus 25-05-2013 12:31 AM

Don't understand. Wahahahhahaha.......

Laying should be ok la. Should not be that hard. If keep fish so long lay acrylic also cannot then die Liao. :D

Tomorrow the toa payoh shop open? Any idea?

Flairtender 25-05-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Occellatus (Post 9399958)
Don't understand. Wahahahhahaha.......

Laying should be ok la. Should not be that hard. If keep fish so long lay acrylic also cannot then die Liao. :D

Tomorrow the toa payoh shop open? Any idea?

When u lay not too fast also , ur fish will get stress from the new white acrylic . Try buy the matt white type .

Toa payoh ?? Dama at UBI leh .... sat go long queue ah !!! I go weekdays , half and hour , slant cut also gao tim liao . If all straight cut lagi fast .

Occellatus 25-05-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flairtender (Post 9399963)
When u lay not too fast also , ur fish will get stress from the new white acrylic . Try buy the matt white type .

Toa payoh ?? Dama at UBI leh .... sat go long queue ah !!! I go weekdays , half and hour , slant cut also gao tim liao . If all straight cut lagi fast .

Ok I get the Matt type. Long queue? So many ppl doing acrylic on sats ar?:(

The tpy is cut tiles one. Solly, got mixed up.:o

Flairtender 25-05-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchy (Post 9397492)

Bro u are lucky , i got something easy to measure and comfirm ur measurement . Pm me ur no .

Flairtender 25-05-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Occellatus (Post 9399964)
Ok I get the Matt type. Long queue? So many ppl doing acrylic on sats ar?:(

The tpy is cut tiles one. Solly, got mixed up.:o

Supplier from all chain .... I also see ppl custom made those 4 to 5 footer big denitrator or protein skimmer there also . All those reefers favourite DIY place .

Occellatus 25-05-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flairtender (Post 9399971)
Supplier from all chain .... I also see ppl custom made those 4 to 5 footer big denitrator or protein skimmer there also . All those reefers favourite DIY place .

Good lord. I better go early then. Be the first in line. Go early finish early.