Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Articles, Resources & FAQs (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   HLLE & Activated Carbon (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462303)

KaLiB 07-05-2011 10:48 AM

HLLE & Activated Carbon

This article is from the Coral Reef & Aquarium Magazine. A study was funded by Toledo Zoo on the use of carbon and HLLE. It also includes a study on diet and HLLE(offered as a preliminary result).

Activated Carbon: HLLE Smoking Gun Found

marine_lover 14-06-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaLiB (Post 8430134)
This article is from the Coral Reef & Aquarium Magazine. A study was funded by Toledo Zoo on the use of carbon and HLLE. It also includes a study on diet and HLLE(offered as a preliminary result).

To use or not to use Activated carbon :(?

KaLiB 14-06-2011 10:20 PM

Based on this article, IMO to be cautious, it would be better to avoid using carbon regularly and use it only on a when needed basis(Eg. to remove medication from the water).

marine_lover 15-06-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaLiB (Post 8500782)
Based on this article, IMO to be cautious, it would be better to avoid using carbon regularly and use it only on a when needed basis(Eg. to remove medication from the water).

Ok noted :) .

reefer88 01-07-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

No all types of carbon will cause HLLE on fish . Using good brand like Rowa, Ehiem is the way to go. I have been running Rowa carbon on my fish only system for about 3 year now and i didnt see any problem with it.

Sun2000 01-07-2011 06:02 PM

I think the article mentioned that the fine carbon dust may be the cause..this is still open... so if you use good quality carbon ( like rowa) and you had washed away the fine dust of carbon...you may not see HLLE ....I think on the safe side, use only when neccessary.. personally I've seen it in freshwater ( discus) and saltwater ( emperor angel) when I used carbon ... but when removed... they healed up and I've stop using carbon since...unless need to remove copper etc..

marine_lover 28-07-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun2000 (Post 8527483)
I think the article mentioned that the fine carbon dust may be the cause..this is still open... so if you use good quality carbon ( like rowa) and you had washed away the fine dust of carbon...you may not see HLLE ....I think on the safe side, use only when neccessary.. personally I've seen it in freshwater ( discus) and saltwater ( emperor angel) when I used carbon ... but when removed... they healed up and I've stop using carbon since...unless need to remove copper etc..

it' true :D!

yeo soon chai 02-03-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

I've read an article some years back when i was in marine that the Carbon could be one of the cause for HLLE.
Diet deficiency and stray voltage could also one of the cause.
Personally, I found that bigger species of angels and tang are more prone to this disease.

KaLiB 29-04-2014 11:46 AM

Just to share an observation regarding HLLE & activated carbon.

I ran AquaPharm BlackGold in my 4x2x2 FOWLR last year, after a period, I observed my flame angel(Centropyge loricula) developing HLLE. Suspecting it might be the carbon, I removed it and have not run any carbon in my tank for the last 3months. The HLLE on my flame angel has more or less fully healed.

The other fish in my tank were not affected:
  1. Bannerfish(Heniochus acuminatus)
  2. Magnificent Foxface(Siganus Magnificus)
  3. Mimic Tang(Acanthurus pyroferus)
  4. Pajama Cardinalfish(Sphaeramia nematoptera)
  5. Zebra Dartfish(Ptereleotris Zebra)
  6. Threadin Cardinalfish (Apogon Leptacanthus)
  7. False Percula Clownfish(Amphiphoron Ocellaris)