Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Freshwater Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Snakeheads killing each other (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506962)

Kisuke 04-03-2013 12:18 AM

Snakeheads killing each other

I had 3 snakeheads...and 2 of them gang up and kill the smaller one..now have 2.... is this normal behavior for snakeheads?? Comm snakeheads is imposible?

HuttShun 04-03-2013 12:27 AM

What type of snakeheads are you keeping?

How often and how much are they fed?

lucas_1957 04-03-2013 12:49 AM

How big is yr tank?

FlipPico 04-03-2013 10:18 AM

snakehead kill/eat whatever that they can find in the wild...thats their nature

Censis 04-03-2013 10:44 AM

Snakehead is a fierce fish..
Is your tank big enough for them and do they have some hiding space?

TuNA 04-03-2013 11:15 AM

Give them lots of hiding place like plants and make sure they are well-fed.

mictok 04-03-2013 11:42 AM

Common behaviour for dwarf snakehead unless got big tank and plenty hidding space.
I had a peaceful common of cobra until adult hood when a pair was form that wipe out the rest despite big tank also.

sri 06-03-2013 12:48 PM

dispite your loss bro... you could have got a stable pair of snakehead. Snakehead will only pair off on their own (a couple of male n female). This pair should stay well with each other.

It normal behaviour for snakeheads. Best try not to comm snakehead as they are more of a species only kind. To get a stable pair is a bonus.

Snakeheads will comm only when they are smaller. As they mature, they will form pair on their own. And as you have witness the pair will drive off the others as they claim their territory. In captivity, the other snakehead have no place to run, therefore will result in fatality if not removed when there is a pair formed.

Wat kind of snakehead you keeping?

mictok 06-03-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sri (Post 9322567)
dispite your loss bro... you could have got a stable pair of snakehead. Snakehead will only pair off on their own (a couple of male n female). This pair should stay well with each other.

It normal behaviour for snakeheads. Best try not to comm snakehead as they are more of a species only kind. To get a stable pair is a bonus.

Snakeheads will comm only when they are smaller. As they mature, they will form pair on their own. And as you have witness the pair will drive off the others as they claim their territory. In captivity, the other snakehead have no place to run, therefore will result in fatality if not removed when there is a pair formed.

Wat kind of snakehead you keeping?

Manage to get a pair of cobra.

washywashy 07-03-2013 08:48 AM

I bought a bag of feeder snakeheads in the past. To my horror, they eat each other up even though they are of similar sizes! I think it is the survival of the fittest. So no choice, had to dump the whole bag in :o