Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Building Of My Platform Pond - A Dream Comes True (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528319)

kepala sakit 27-05-2015 04:11 AM

I can see there're torn tails and fins among other fishes beside of the aros, these're are sign of bb's/bacteria's saturation, fighting goes beyond worn out tail and fin ...Btw, did u add any bbs to enhance the nitrogen cycle? Bacts/free floating bbs are more active during sundown they're probably chewing on the fishes. these will stress and make fishes aggrasive some may be jumpy to get out of the situation. Sometime due to higher flow rate, to suppress green water may be possible but insufficient time to zap the free float bacteria, u either need to reduce flow rate to match UVc lamp spect. or increase UVc lamp power (watts) to over come the short fall. I'm not insisting, only saying this cud be one of the possibility nia nia.

burntrubber 27-05-2015 11:09 AM

Somehow the netting still looks risky for the fish.

I spotted 1/2" SS wire mesh at the hardware store the other day along with alu. square tubing, it will be quite easy to make a cover with the mesh and tubing. Do consider that.

Heuer 27-05-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozone (Post 9861040)
TS, are those round balls on your window side Solar LED lights? If they are, when they light up at night, the light will attract insects and that probaly explains why your are has been jumpy at night...

A rigid netting is advisable cos if any fishes where to jump right into one of the opening in the net, they will not get stuck and caught hanging in mid air...

Last but not least, it is a very impressive fgt pond!!

exactly. this may happen. so better take precaution.
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/fish-net-2965869.jpg

nutx 27-05-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burntrubber (Post 9861114)
Somehow the netting still looks risky for the fish.

I spotted 1/2" SS wire mesh at the hardware store the other day along with alu. square tubing, it will be quite easy to make a cover with the mesh and tubing. Do consider that.

Bro...

I'm using the 2inch SS wire mesh as a pond divider.
However, sad to say this, SS is no longer pure:mad:....then can see rust stain!:(

sen_jie 27-05-2015 05:53 PM

what abt use PVC pipe to form a rectangular frame. Then use the netting to stretch and tight firmly to the end of the PVC pipe frame. will looks neater than sagging netting.

warcraft168 27-05-2015 06:16 PM

Bro care to share where u buy the netting?

ThomasLim 27-05-2015 10:31 PM

Yes bro, I am enjoying the fun of building it... As for the jumping out, the main worry is the front and the stairs and filter areas. But as I am using the net cover, there is no concern. I guess this current netting is really rigid enough as is totally different from the previous net. We shall see how it goes... Thanks bros for the reminding....

Thanks Dennis, aquaponics is a good idea 😊 I will look into this.

Yes, those round balls are solar lightings emitting very dim lights. I dont see insects around these lightings. I am more worry about the UV lighting at the back of the filter chamber. It is much brighter than these light balls. However it is not very much covered by the pandan plants... But still can see.... Should I use something like a big sponge to place above the UV light? Mentioning about this UV, I just wonder if the pandan plants that submerged in this chamber together with the UV, is the pandan having a higher chance to rot, instead of growing? Just wondering if the uv will have impact to the pandan.

Another question is that I have placed air stone in each filter chamber, will this hinder the growth of pandan as well? Should I remove the air stones and pit them into the main fgt? Any advises?

Yes bro Nutx, some SS will still rust... I have no intention to try it at the moment. Honestly if this current net (which I think is very rigid already) still fails me, I will try the netting that bro Heuer had shown previously (Not the tub to protect my head 😅 lol ) I do not like the pvc frame and will avoid the frame if possible... Lets see how things go...

Ok, I bought the netting in those old shop house along beach road. There are 2 shops having similar name but one with a 新 infront of it... I go to the one without 新 infront as there are some netting being displayed outside the shop. I forgot to take the namecard so cannot tell exactly the address. PM me if you need further description of the shop...

For the mesh products, you can go to blk30 Kelantan Rd #01-91 www.meshlxf.com.sg This one the shop pass me the namecard 😊

Lastly I am happy that I bought few plants from the nursery yesterday. The Chinese attendant told me that these plants can grow directly with water... I just bought and tried lo... Hopefully they will grow... Cheers

LauLanChu 28-05-2015 01:45 PM

UVC exposure to fish will kill the fish, to plant I am not sure but might be risky. Airstone should be fine.

When you have plants is a good sight but also have it negatives. One is the dropped leafs and rotton rots as mentioned, another is the insects like spiders, bugs, flies that may infest (if you don't use insecticide prevention, you know what I mean as this will cause harm to fish). So I would say have plants moderately.

As for the jumping since you only have 2 sides to take care of, why don't you think of trying to raise up the level of that 2 sides to the height that will keep the fish from going out? That will get rid of all the covering issue and you have a good sight and full view of all the nice fishes.

ThomasLim 10-06-2015 06:53 PM

Thanks bro...

For bros that are thinking of putting the plants exposing to the UV light, please do NOT do so. The plants will die. All my pandan plants in the same chamber of UV light (the last chamber), are all gone cases and I have to remove all the rotting plants 😓 This is another learning experience for me 😊

Wondering how high will an aro normally jump? If there is a 1ft acrylic wall, will it be sufficient? Any advise?

Heuer 10-06-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 9865942)
Thanks bro...

For bros that are thinking of putting the plants exposing to the UV light, please do NOT do so. The plants will die. All my pandan plants in the same chamber of UV light (the last chamber), are all gone cases and I have to remove all the rotting plants �� This is another learning experience for me ��

Wondering how high will an aro normally jump? If there is a 1ft acrylic wall, will it be sufficient? Any advise?

from this video, it can jump above 2M above the surface. :eek:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.