Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Building Of My Platform Pond - A Dream Comes True (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528319)

ThomasLim 11-07-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanki2 (Post 10023731)
Where u transferring it to? Use canvas to body hold it?

Transferring to new house. I am more worried of the gar struggling in the canvas that causing injury to itself or might even injure the catchers. And if it jumps, dashes in the fgt, it is scary... :(

ThomasLim 11-07-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10023742)
A koi sock net would probably be best. They are also sized for fish that big.

Same, more worried of the gar struggling in the net that causing injury to itself or if it jumps, dashes in the fgt, the resultant force and impact it will cause is unimaginable to me... I worry the viewing glass might even break if it smashed into it during struggling or dashing... :(

DragonFireSG 11-07-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10023748)
Same, more worried of the gar struggling in the net that causing injury to itself or if it jumps, dashes in the fgt, the resultant force and impact it will cause is unimaginable to me... I worry the viewing glass might even break if it smashed into it during struggling or dashing... :(

Gar is a tough tough fish. Is it the only fish in the FGT? There is another suggestion, but I suggest you contact a fish vet, or at least experienced bros on monsterfishkeepers before trying.

Clove oil is a general fish anesthetic that can be used to immobilize large fish for movement or treatment. It has been used even for arapaima.

At low doses, the fish will become sluggish and compliant. Overdosed, the fish will be a goner. It is used to euthanize koi that are ill beyond treatment in my experience.

Ref thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...dative.113241/

ThomasLim 11-07-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10023752)
Gar is a tough tough fish. Is it the only fish in the FGT? There is another suggestion, but I suggest you contact a fish vet, or at least experienced bros on monsterfishkeepers before trying.

Clove oil is a general fish anesthetic that can be used to immobilize large fish for movement or treatment. It has been used even for arapaima.

At low doses, the fish will become sluggish and compliant. Overdosed, the fish will be a goner. It is used to euthanize koi that are ill beyond treatment in my experience.

Ref thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...dative.113241/

Wow bro, really thks for the info... thats what I need :) have u ever used clove oil to immobilize your fish before? Any link of clove oil that u will recommend me to use? Afraid I might get one that is not suitable and caused the fish to die due to my negligence 😅

DragonFireSG 12-07-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10023754)
Wow bro, really thks for the info... thats what I need :) have u ever used clove oil to immobilize your fish before? Any link of clove oil that u will recommend me to use? Afraid I might get one that is not suitable and caused the fish to die due to my negligence 😅

The koi treatment guys used it before when they had to apply PP to ulcers on a fish.

The recommended dose probably varies per species - which is why I think monsterfishkeepers is the best place to ask. I see them put 1 drop into a 3x1 ft basin for my 20" koi. It's potent stuff.

I would say 100% pure essential clove oil with no additives is what you want. It is easy to get online.

Aro77 12-07-2019 04:04 PM

I have moved my big snow gars which are roughly 4ft and some arapaimas before, they are tough fishes - i custom made a special net to get them out of the FGT and into the transport tub.

Basically i had gotten a 5ft fgt and stand-by on the lorry, in which i just scooped my gar out and walked over to the lorry.

My mistake was i should not have use a FGT or hard tub, as with the water moving around, the snout will keep hitting which cause them discomfort and will struggle which resulted in some scratches on the snout but honestly it's minor and healed very well.

If i were to do it again - i would recommend using a big and thick canvas, fill it up with water and release the gar in there, this will not be so harsh on the snout when the vehicle is in motion and it hits. Then again with their power and sharp teeth it is a risk.

Probably better to incur some injury from a hard tub than risk water leaking from the canvas.

U have my contact, if u need any help, let me know.

ThomasLim 13-07-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 10023763)
I have moved my big snow gars which are roughly 4ft and some arapaimas before, they are tough fishes - i custom made a special net to get them out of the FGT and into the transport tub.

Basically i had gotten a 5ft fgt and stand-by on the lorry, in which i just scooped my gar out and walked over to the lorry.

My mistake was i should not have use a FGT or hard tub, as with the water moving around, the snout will keep hitting which cause them discomfort and will struggle which resulted in some scratches on the snout but honestly it's minor and healed very well.

If i were to do it again - i would recommend using a big and thick canvas, fill it up with water and release the gar in there, this will not be so harsh on the snout when the vehicle is in motion and it hits. Then again with their power and sharp teeth it is a risk.

Probably better to incur some injury from a hard tub than risk water leaking from the canvas.

U have my contact, if u need any help, let me know.

Bro, really nice texting with u and it is once again so heartwarming for all the helps that u have so selflessly offered me :) really really thanks in advance 🙏🏻 🙏🏻🙏🏻 As spoken, I have to crossed my fingers at this moment to make sure all things go smoothly.... I believe I will call u soon ;)