Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Articles, Resources & FAQs (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Where to catch wild guppy? (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349946)

ahpek_lion 14-12-2008 05:32 PM

Where to catch wild guppy?

I am interested to catch wild guppies from those tiny long kang :) Any lobangs?

dorothy 14-12-2008 09:13 PM

I have been peeping into longkang to find those guppies.. cannot find any these days. :o

element 14-12-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorothy (Post 6418794)
I have been peeping into longkang to find those guppies.. cannot find any these days. :o

bro pasir ris farm there got guppy . in the long kang .

ahpek_lion 14-12-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by element (Post 6419079)
bro pasir ris farm there got guppy . in the long kang .

:D Thanks bro. Mayb one day i go there catch. but i think will malu if i go on weekends

dorothy 15-12-2008 08:53 AM

there are lots of longkang that seems to have guppies. But on closer look they are actually mosquito fishes, those w/o colours type :)

lindavw 15-12-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorothy (Post 6419982)
there are lots of longkang that seems to have guppies. But on closer look they are actually mosquito fishes, those w/o colours type :)

im oso interested maybe we can arrange a time to go anywhere to get some wild guppies.
all i noe is those big walkable canals should have~
But the one near my house and those places that i used the frequent have already been destroyed by PUB.....

ahpek_lion 15-12-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavw (Post 6420098)
im oso interested maybe we can arrange a time to go anywhere to get some wild guppies.
all i noe is those big walkable canals should have~
But the one near my house and those places that i used the frequent have already been destroyed by PUB.....

I know of one in punggol ... also destroyed by HDB :(

Count me in if there is an outing.

detritus 16-12-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahpek_lion (Post 6421392)
I know of one in punggol ... also destroyed by HDB :(

Count me in if there is an outing.

haha... i know a good tilapia spot :p that one is the most accessible longkang i think... got steps and easy to walk along the banks... water level not high also...

lindavw 17-12-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detritus (Post 6425447)
haha... i know a good tilapia spot :p that one is the most accessible longkang i think... got steps and easy to walk along the banks... water level not high also...

tilapia mai la they grow very fast one... they are like monsters hahahaha.

detritus 17-12-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavw (Post 6427813)
tilapia mai la they grow very fast one... they are like monsters hahahaha.

can be quite fun up to a point... its amazing how they grow a few mm every few days, from fries to fishes... but have to release them back to the longkang after awhile lah... tank no space :D and they dun make good tank companions to guppies. :p

Rovert 19-12-2008 04:03 AM

though gambusia are ever rampant in our streams. do not be quick to forget the idea that they might be wild female guppy. its been raining alot recently, time to go hunting guys!

lindavw 22-12-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rovert (Post 6432907)
though gambusia are ever rampant in our streams. do not be quick to forget the idea that they might be wild female guppy. its been raining alot recently, time to go hunting guys!

actually i noe of a place that have guppies and mollies and they are giant size ones.
But this place is deep... we really need a long net to get to them.

Any place that bros/sis here can share?

detritus 22-12-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavw (Post 6442946)
actually i noe of a place that have guppies and mollies and they are giant size ones.
But this place is deep... we really need a long net to get to them.

Any place that bros/sis here can share?

whoa! where man bro? maybe can organise expedition go together!

daiso got sell long nets for $2.

lindavw 23-12-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detritus (Post 6443405)
whoa! where man bro? maybe can organise expedition go together!

daiso got sell long nets for $2.

Rochor canal but alot of pple will be watching us la.
Another place is fernvale. there is a longkang there but i think very diff to go down, need long net which i dun have.

Go Daiso buy is another thing la but liaoz take MRT back from IMM or Plaza Sing? pple will be staring lor lol.

detritus 23-12-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavw (Post 6445363)
Rochor canal but alot of pple will be watching us la.
Another place is fernvale. there is a longkang there but i think very diff to go down, need long net which i dun have.

Go Daiso buy is another thing la but liaoz take MRT back from IMM or Plaza Sing? pple will be staring lor lol.

rochor canal quite smelly also leh :eek:

and u are right... cannot go down and catch one... need at least 2 - 3m pole then can catch.

think must find streams rather than big storm drains lah... storm drains quite dangerous.

lindavw 23-12-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detritus (Post 6446156)
rochor canal quite smelly also leh :eek:

and u are right... cannot go down and catch one... need at least 2 - 3m pole then can catch.

think must find streams rather than big storm drains lah... storm drains quite dangerous.

streams?
sinkapore still where got streams that allow pple go down n have guppies/mollies???
all destroyed already. I used to have many places to catch guppies, tiger barbs, pencil fish and even discus. but now none~
So any bro here can give a stream or canal with guppies in it we will go asap cos we wun know when the stream or canal the fishes will disappear due to PUB works.

If u think I have got a point... pls up my rep~

gue 24-12-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavw (Post 6446385)
streams?
sinkapore still where got streams that allow pple go down n have guppies/mollies???
all destroyed already. I used to have many places to catch guppies, tiger barbs, pencil fish and even discus. but now none~
So any bro here can give a stream or canal with guppies in it we will go asap cos we wun know when the stream or canal the fishes will disappear due to PUB works.

If u think I have got a point... pls up my rep~

Further Seaview there is a longkang. I saw people catching the other day. This longkang is just beside Straits Aquarium!

detritus 24-12-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gue (Post 6449489)
Further Seaview there is a longkang. I saw people catching the other day. This longkang is just beside Straits Aquarium!

steady lah! i go recce this weekend and post some pix. if have then we organise an expedition!

if have, who wants to come?

ahpek_lion 24-12-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detritus (Post 6450847)
steady lah! i go recce this weekend and post some pix. if have then we organise an expedition!

if have, who wants to come?

Swee :D I oso wan

detritus 24-12-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahpek_lion (Post 6450876)
Swee :D I oso wan

how are your platies?

ahpek_lion 24-12-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detritus (Post 6451134)
how are your platies?

1 baby and 1 adult died this morning. I think cos ytd raining and rain water splashed into the tank :(

But the rest healthy ... hope the preggy mama give birth soon

detritus 24-12-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahpek_lion (Post 6451303)
1 baby and 1 adult died this morning. I think cos ytd raining and rain water splashed into the tank :(

But the rest healthy ... hope the preggy mama give birth soon

could be a combination of factors... don't think rainwater alone is that poisonous... if it was, your whole tank up lorry already.

considered the filter yet?

ahpek_lion 25-12-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detritus (Post 6451325)
could be a combination of factors... don't think rainwater alone is that poisonous... if it was, your whole tank up lorry already.

considered the filter yet?

Yea... i considering but duno where to place my tank. Cos now it is in the balcony which has lots of light but no power plug. If place in the house, my parents will make noise. :(

detritus 25-12-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahpek_lion (Post 6454255)
Yea... i considering but duno where to place my tank. Cos now it is in the balcony which has lots of light but no power plug. If place in the house, my parents will make noise. :(

try to work within your constraints.

if family really not supportive of pets, you must consider if you can pursue this hobby at this time.

u do not want to be unintentionally cruel to your pets by not being able to provide them with the proper care.

no point trying to make do with a "minimalist" set-up and u end up picking dead fish out of your tank all the time.

u can replenish your tank with cheap guppies, mollies or platies or even catch them free from the longkang but the end result will be the same: dead fish because your set-up is not enough for their healthy survival.

even if they survive, they won't be healthy.

i can sense that you care for your fishes and u want to pursue this hobby but its better to have your family's understanding and support.

its not right to do what they don't agree with as everyone is living in the same house.

lindavw 26-12-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detritus (Post 6454651)
try to work within your constraints.

if family really not supportive of pets, you must consider if you can pursue this hobby at this time.

u do not want to be unintentionally cruel to your pets by not being able to provide them with the proper care.

no point trying to make do with a "minimalist" set-up and u end up picking dead fish out of your tank all the time.

u can replenish your tank with cheap guppies, mollies or platies or even catch them free from the longkang but the end result will be the same: dead fish because your set-up is not enough for their healthy survival.

even if they survive, they won't be healthy.

i can sense that you care for your fishes and u want to pursue this hobby but its better to have your family's understanding and support.

its not right to do what they don't agree with as everyone is living in the same house.

where is further seaview longkang??? wkend sat morning n afternoon how???
its been raining cats n dogs recently and daily...
Can someone enlighten me where is this place? so i can go recce first wif my bike to see if the place need long or short nets safe to wade down into the stream anot... or anyone hardcore enuff to go tonite??? hahaha

detritus 26-12-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavw (Post 6456883)
where is further seaview longkang??? wkend sat morning n afternoon how???
its been raining cats n dogs recently and daily...
Can someone enlighten me where is this place? so i can go recce first wif my bike to see if the place need long or short nets safe to wade down into the stream anot... or anyone hardcore enuff to go tonite??? hahaha

LOL! Dun go at night la! so dark how to catch?

seaview and straits aquarium are both at seletar west farmway. near jalan kayu.

the place quite ulu. best to go in the day.

i also not sure which longkang as the whole stretch there all fish farms. some fish may escape when they flush their tanks.

lindavw 26-12-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detritus (Post 6457107)
LOL! Dun go at night la! so dark how to catch?

seaview and straits aquarium are both at seletar west farmway. near jalan kayu.

the place quite ulu. best to go in the day.

i also not sure which longkang as the whole stretch there all fish farms. some fish may escape when they flush their tanks.

bro if hardcore enuff that's always something call torchlight ma.
seletar farmway???

i used to catch pencil fish at the jln kayu camp right side there's a very big longkang there last time. so long neva go there already. the place totally destroyed by the SAF.
like that maybe tonite i go recce... anyone got any pic to that place? i mean the longkang or stream? i stay quite near there...

lindavw 26-12-2008 01:29 PM

I checked out the place on google earth n streetdirectory liaoz.
Seletar farmway 1 n 3 is where the said straits is located.
there might be a drain or stream leading to seletar farmway 4 n 5.
so to get to this stream/drain, there muz be a drain or stream at SFW 1 & 3...
BUT most of the area which might have stream is in the forested area... i have been there once if not wrong, there is a drain... still need long net to reach the water... or who gungho enuff to go into the water. should be waist or knee deep.

detritus 26-12-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavw (Post 6457718)
I checked out the place on google earth n streetdirectory liaoz.
Seletar farmway 1 n 3 is where the said straits is located.
there might be a drain or stream leading to seletar farmway 4 n 5.
so to get to this stream/drain, there muz be a drain or stream at SFW 1 & 3...
BUT most of the area which might have stream is in the forested area... i have been there once if not wrong, there is a drain... still need long net to reach the water... or who gungho enuff to go into the water. should be waist or knee deep.

me in no hurry. will detour and recce on my own when i next go to seaview for supplies.

lindavw 26-12-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detritus (Post 6457812)
me in no hurry. will detour and recce on my own when i next go to seaview for supplies.

aiyo muz have first party to comb the area first ma hahaha but remember first party if got good stuff sure taken up first ma hahahaha
second party only get the grade 2 stuff. but im not greedy... i only wan 4 nice pc to breed heehee...
FCFS basis wat....:D

detritus 26-12-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavw (Post 6458405)
aiyo muz have first party to comb the area first ma hahaha but remember first party if got good stuff sure taken up first ma hahahaha
second party only get the grade 2 stuff. but im not greedy... i only wan 4 nice pc to breed heehee...
FCFS basis wat....:D

u think u can catch finish all the nice ones u carry on lor :D

no time to go tonight la... u have fun :)

lindavw 27-12-2008 04:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
recce but caught this instead cos the stream/drain only got dead fishes n some black fries

but another stream nearby got some dunno wha type of fish. all in all no guppies... except the ones in the pic.

detritus 27-12-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavw (Post 6460459)
recce but caught this instead cos the stream/drain only got dead fishes n some black fries

but another stream nearby got some dunno wha type of fish. all in all no guppies... except the ones in the pic.

haha... u serious hardcore man...

could it be a mosquito fish? its looks a bit like a female guppy...

lindavw 27-12-2008 02:06 PM

i oso 1 2 know if it is mosquitoe fish if yes then i ban there stream liaoz.
but serious there were quite alot of black some guppies fries in the seletar stream/drain... could be some good strain when it turns adult leh hahaha

detritus 27-12-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavw (Post 6461256)
i oso 1 2 know if it is mosquitoe fish if yes then i ban there stream liaoz.
but serious there were quite alot of black some guppies fries in the seletar stream/drain... could be some good strain when it turns adult leh hahaha

all fish fries look the same... thats how i ended up with my tilapias... :o

No78 28-12-2008 02:50 AM

hi bro,

anyone think of qian hu area there got a big longkang .
bishan park , IMM behind , strathmore ave behind got also (near to queentown) ?

if going i maybe going if the timing is rite .

cheer bro .

detritus 28-12-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No78 (Post 6463762)
hi bro,

anyone think of qian hu area there got a big longkang .
bishan park , IMM behind , strathmore ave behind got also (near to queentown) ?

if going i maybe going if the timing is rite .

cheer bro .

bishan park i suggest dun waste your time... got thriving tilapia community in the longkang already... i doubt if there'll be guppies.

last i went, i even found luohan dumped by pple there also... with so many carnivorous inhabitants, i'm not sure if guppy or mosquito fish can survive...

u want tilapia from that longkang, i can give u the ones i caught :D

No78 28-12-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detritus (Post 6464043)
bishan park i suggest dun waste your time... got thriving tilapia community in the longkang already... i doubt if there'll be guppies.

last i went, i even found luohan dumped by pple there also... with so many carnivorous inhabitants, i'm not sure if guppy or mosquito fish can survive...

u want tilapia from that longkang, i can give u the ones i caught :D

O, cause my bro-in-law catch a few discus juv over there . maybe now all because LH food .

detritus 28-12-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No78 (Post 6464107)
O, cause my bro-in-law catch a few discus juv over there . maybe now all because LH food .

wouldn't be surprised... i'm sure there's all kinds of funny fish in there... pple will get tired of their pets and dump them there. terrible...

u may even find guppies or mosquito fish too in one of the smaller drains and canals feeding into the big longkang...

but i'm just doubtful cos there are just too many predators.

moscowblue 28-12-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavw (Post 6460459)

this one more likely is mosquitofish