Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Freshwater Invertebrates Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   PNT Thread #5 (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443813)

Egocow 13-01-2011 09:52 AM

Hi all,

I'm setting a new tank for my PNT, it's a very simple setup with just gravel.
I read that some people put plants inside for their turtle to chew whenever they want, is it a good thing? If I want to add plants, is that like "recommended" plant to put in my tank?

Thanx!

Schmike 13-01-2011 10:24 AM

The pnt will chew on the plants n if not maintained properly, can spoil the water easily n cause more problems

PNT Guy 13-01-2011 10:29 AM

Plants in mine opinion is not a really good idea as plants from lfs all contains algae n snails which I find them unsightly esp algae they can be a big headache n cause water quality problems. As for gravel just make sure to clean them regularly as they can cause ammonia spike. May I know how big is your PNT n how big is your tank n filtration system? Any pics?:D

Egocow 13-01-2011 12:19 PM

I see, so I guess it's not a good idea to put plants in the tank then.

Actually I used to put fine sand in the tank but it got really smelly so I had a bare tank for a long time. My PNT is abt 8plus 9" (including the head/limbs) and my tank is too small for it as it can hardly swim around much so he swim mostly in circle :( I think the tank limits the size he can grow right?
Poor turtle :(
No choice cause it's my parent's place and there's no space for a bigger tank. Just moved house so moving my turtle to a 4ft tank. For filter I got a eheim internal filter, recommended to my by the shop. I have never kept a 4ft tank before so I took mostly what the shop recommended.

I got a 4ft tank, with cupboard, heater, filter, air pump, air stone, abt 20 or 30kg of gravel, 5T light (I ask for UV but the person say no need), aquarium salt all these about $590 with delivery (is it consider okie?). it's not here yet, will come next week thur and will spend the weekend setting it up. I need to make sure there's no wire accessible to my turtle, he loves to bite those. I think he spoilt like at least 5 to 6 of my pump OHF already.

Schmike 13-01-2011 12:21 PM

internal filter is not enough for a PNT. u need a cannister or OHF.

Egocow 13-01-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmike (Post 8206984)
internal filter is not enough for a PNT. u need a cannister or OHF.

Oh no! The person did mention he will allow me to change the filter if I change my mind. Can enlighten me what's the difference between these filter?

I been using OHF because I think it's quite common for small tanks and thought they are the "weakest" of all the filter.
I had wanted to get a cannister but the person say he personally think I do not need but then again he dun keep turtles and when I say I'm getting a tank for turtle he has the impression it's the red ear slider because he ask me to fill the tank to like a few inches only and ask me get big rocks for basking *bleah*

Schmike 13-01-2011 02:01 PM

Haha. That's why he told u internal filter is enough.

Schmike 13-01-2011 02:27 PM

didnt notice ur qn just now on my mobile. :o

basically internal filter have very limited space for medias n usually u will only use the filter sponge which is insufficient to maintain a gd water condition for PNTs.

cannisters or stackable OHF will be the better choice for PNTs. but most PNTs tend to like to chew on wire. thats why i recommend using cannister.

Egocow 13-01-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmike (Post 8207237)
didnt notice ur qn just now on my mobile. :o

basically internal filter have very limited space for medias n usually u will only use the filter sponge which is insufficient to maintain a gd water condition for PNTs.

cannisters or stackable OHF will be the better choice for PNTs. but most PNTs tend to like to chew on wire. thats why i recommend using cannister.

I just talked to the person about the filter, he told me for a 4ft tank cannister will be around the range of $300plus to $400 right? Any particular model to recommend, I will go down to the shop to see again this weekend.

DinOBeeR 13-01-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mictok (Post 8152873)
It start to fly around after I stop feeding for 3 days:D

in the wild, they need to fly to search for food & survive. this is also a way to keep them healthy and fit.

so do not over feed it, you may consider alternate day feeding too :)...

cheers