Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cichlid Experiences (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Altum From Unscrupulous LFS (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403271)

Ovarp 20-12-2009 12:02 AM

Altum From Unscrupulous LFS

In this Altum season, I have brought 5 pcs of Altum from one of the LFS initially. They are chosen by me from the tank and all doing well for this first week. The next week, I saw some healthy Altums display in bag in another LFS. As I am looking for smaller one, I request to view and choose the Altum which are kept inside a restricted zone. The LFS replied that no viewing and selection is allowed. Believe that they have healthy Altum as what they have show in the display bag. I brought 10 pcs of Altum and they are pack 5 pcs per bag. When I released these Altum in the tank, I was horrified to see 3 new Altum are with bad finrot. The finrot is so bad that you will never choose no matter what. Eventually, all Altum are infested by finrot and they die one by one. In the end, 10 Altum form the 2nd batch and 1 from the 1st batch die. 4 Altum from the 1st batch eventually recovered and survive till now.

Just to share my experience for that no one get cheat in the future.

amiidae 20-12-2009 12:11 AM

Why didn't you check the stock before making the payment ?

Kohaku 20-12-2009 12:15 AM

Partly it is your fault on your side. When you get the fish, you should check for illness and other things. You can reject the fishes if you dun like it as long as payment is not made.

Grand Pope 20-12-2009 12:19 AM

Abit unfair to call the mentioned LFS "unscrupulous" as you always have the right to see the fishes before paying, which u didn't.

Believe only your eyes. Choose with caution the next time.

itchy 20-12-2009 12:30 AM

Next time when buying, and before paying, see your fishes properly to avoid such cases, just take it as a learning lesson.

chuac85 20-12-2009 12:51 AM

agreed...it is your own fault if you don't check

sgbetta 20-12-2009 02:06 AM

bro i tink u shld check b4 making ur payment....if u tell them before u pay money they dun change for u then is they wrong lah....nvm nxt time remember to check ur purchase before making payment..:)

armageddon 20-12-2009 02:38 AM

ya bro. do not push blame 100% to LFS. like all bros whom have said. :cool:

FYI, i know of this bro whom is extremely experienced in keeping altums few years back. got a batch from him. what he mentioned about fin root is, altums having fin rot is "part and parcel" and depending on how serious and how well conditioned u have in ur tank and also how u do treatment. he taught me some method of it and he say so far his purchase always only have 10% max casualty rates due to fin rots. his altums survived with me for almost 1 year last time before they kenna disease and die off.

so do take note. in doubts just post and ask. but do a search before u post as well. there are tonnes of resources online and from pass years posting on illlness etc...

joonpeng_lee 20-12-2009 10:30 AM

if i were u..
1. i would have open my eyes BIG BIG when selecting the fishes..
2. i would never mix the new and the old batch together all at the first time.. i
3. i would have QT the new batch for 5-8 days before mixing into the first batch.. u never know your first or second batch have got more parasites
4. i would have removed the 3 bad finrotted altums and treat separately
5. if i would have to keep altums, i would have prepared an additional 1 or 2 more QT time

Well.. treat this lesson as a good learning curve either in selecting the fishes you want to keep and the QT regime that all must practice and goes through in fish keeping:D

limkt 20-12-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovarp (Post 7424955)
In this Altum season, I have brought 5 pcs of Altum from one of the LFS initially. They are chosen by me from the tank and all doing well for this first week. The next week, I saw some healthy Altums display in bag in another LFS. As I am looking for smaller one, I request to view and choose the Altum which are kept inside a restricted zone. The LFS replied that no viewing and selection is allowed. Believe that they have healthy Altum as what they have show in the display bag. I brought 10 pcs of Altum and they are pack 5 pcs per bag. When I released these Altum in the tank, I was horrified to see 3 new Altum are with bad finrot. The finrot is so bad that you will never choose no matter what. Eventually, all Altum are infested by finrot and they die one by one. In the end, 10 Altum form the 2nd batch and 1 from the 1st batch die. 4 Altum from the 1st batch eventually recovered and survive till now.

hi may i know where u bought the altums cos think of getting more,tks

snort 20-12-2009 04:11 PM

Always check the fish stocks before payment, make it a routine. Treat it as a lesson.

Ovarp 21-12-2009 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joonpeng_lee (Post 7425500)
if i were u..
1. i would have open my eyes BIG BIG when selecting the fishes..
2. i would never mix the new and the old batch together all at the first time.. i
3. i would have QT the new batch for 5-8 days before mixing into the first batch.. u never know your first or second batch have got more parasites
4. i would have removed the 3 bad finrotted altums and treat separately
5. if i would have to keep altums, i would have prepared an additional 1 or 2 more QT time

Well.. treat this lesson as a good learning curve either in selecting the fishes you want to keep and the QT regime that all must practice and goes through in fish keeping:D

1. They wrap the altum with double bag and you can;t see through even if you open your eye big.

2. 3. 4. 5 Not everyone has many tanks to do quarantine.

The question is why are they selling sick fish in the first place?

Ovarp 21-12-2009 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armageddon (Post 7425337)
ya bro. do not push blame 100% to LFS. like all bros whom have said. :cool:

FYI, i know of this bro whom is extremely experienced in keeping altums few years back. got a batch from him. what he mentioned about fin root is, altums having fin rot is "part and parcel" and depending on how serious and how well conditioned u have in ur tank and also how u do treatment. he taught me some method of it and he say so far his purchase always only have 10% max casualty rates due to fin rots. his altums survived with me for almost 1 year last time before they kenna disease and die off.

so do take note. in doubts just post and ask. but do a search before u post as well. there are tonnes of resources online and from pass years posting on illlness etc...

The fish batch of altum i brought from another LFS has NO finrot. May be you can accept sick fish but i don't. The problem is the display bag they show has 5 Altum wrapped with one plastic bag. You can see through clearly that they are healthy with no finrot. When they pack for you, it was wrapped with double plastic bag which can't see clearly.

The question is why are they selling sick Altum in the first place. Shouldn;t they catch only the healthy one for you since we are not able to choose or see? Why didn;t they ask whether i can accept sick altum. The conclusion is they are just dishonest or simply don't care.

Ovarp 21-12-2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grand Pope (Post 7425022)
Abit unfair to call the mentioned LFS "unscrupulous" as you always have the right to see the fishes before paying, which u didn't.

Believe only your eyes. Choose with caution the next time.

Is it fair to me when you can't see, choose and even check. Display healthy fish but sell sick fish is like "Hang Goat Head But Sell Dog Meat"

Natureman 21-12-2009 03:50 AM

You have the right to inspect the fishes before payment. you could have asked them to pack in one bag first or get them to remove the second bag amd then check the fishes for any sickness. I think this lfs just want to do one time business with you and passed you those sick altums.

joonpeng_lee 21-12-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovarp (Post 7427191)
1. They wrap the altum with double bag and you can;t see through even if you open your eye big.

2. 3. 4. 5 Not everyone has many tanks to do quarantine.

The question is why are they selling sick fish in the first place?

i tink there are some lfs that do put sick fish and or stunt fish for display or sale... really got to open eyes big big and know what you are buying:)

nicktc 21-12-2009 09:28 AM

I think everyone agrees with you that our LFS could do better.

But why did you buy when you can’t see the fish properly?

If you can’t even see the condition of the fishes, then how sure are you that those fishes inside are altums?

I cannot comprehend how a person who cannot accept sick fishes will pay for fishes that he can’t even see clearly?

Grand Pope 21-12-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovarp (Post 7427230)
Is it fair to me when you can't see, choose and even check. Display healthy fish but sell sick fish is like "Hang Goat Head But Sell Dog Meat"

Quote:

Well then u should have insisted on checking the fishes before paying. You will always have the right not to buy if they don't even let you check what you are actually buying.

Then again, anything you wish to buy before making payment you would have check it out 1st right? Unless you telling me you don't.

situs-sk2 21-12-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovarp (Post 7424955)

lols...i think my friend and myself have the similar experience and i know the LFS which u refering. Just learnt from lesson lor, once bitten twice shy.

Rather pay more to have the selection of AA next time:D
there are so many LFS carry AA when season come, we shall move on

armageddon 22-12-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovarp (Post 7427214)
The fish batch of altum i brought from another LFS has NO finrot. May be you can accept sick fish but i don't. The problem is the display bag they show has 5 Altum wrapped with one plastic bag. You can see through clearly that they are healthy with no finrot. When they pack for you, it was wrapped with double plastic bag which can't see clearly.

The question is why are they selling sick Altum in the first place. Shouldn;t they catch only the healthy one for you since we are not able to choose or see? Why didn;t they ask whether i can accept sick altum. The conclusion is they are just dishonest or simply don't care.

bro, case is very clear already.
1. not advisable to straight away put 1st batch with 2nd batch.
2. everyone agrees LFS can do better so this is pretty much down on u already as LFS we can't control but urself u can control
3. take it as a lesson. be it how hard u are angry with, end of day the LFS would not even know it. so why let them "cheat" ur money and ur mood in fish keeping? dun be silly.:rolleyes:
4. nothing is perfect.

Hershley 22-12-2009 01:18 PM

Best to check each fish condition b4 purchasing. Leson learnt.

King_Diamond 22-12-2009 08:22 PM

agreed with the bro here too...as a customer we have a call to buy or not to buy...but once the transaction made then we left with no choice unless they give a warrant..

and i have to agree with u too...i believe had a same experince with this lfs..i saw a few small pc AA healthy and active at their display tank and request to buy over but they said not for sale..oni for display..they said again has a plenty of same batch behind the shop (restricted area) but no selecting..so i told him bring out for 5 pcs of same condition in a display tank...once he bring out 15mins later n after through checked..out of 5 oni 1 can make it the rest all with finrot...then i shook my head n left him with a smile but he oso steady thou...:)

Ovarp 22-12-2009 11:35 PM

If i know there are sick altum in the tank, i will not even want to buy even they pick the healthy one. Next Altum season I'll will ask them to pack until i am HAPPY.

Ovarp 23-12-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicktc (Post 7427351)
I think everyone agrees with you that our LFS could do better.

But why did you buy when you can’t see the fish properly?

If you can’t even see the condition of the fishes, then how sure are you that those fishes inside are altums?

I cannot comprehend how a person who cannot accept sick fishes will pay for fishes that he can’t even see clearly?

First - Will a reputable and honest LFS sell Scalare if you are buying Altum?
Second - Will a reputable & honest LFS sell you sick fish? or Do you think is ethical to sell sick fish?

I also can not comprehend how a reputable LFS will choose the sick fish for you. May be the person from the LFS can't even see fish clearly. May be to them selling sick is normal practice and buyer will be at fault if they don't open their eye big.

amiidae 23-12-2009 12:35 AM

I don't foresee this thread is going anywhere.