Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cichlid Experiences (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Discus Buyers Beware!!!! (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450244)

hengyi86 20-01-2011 02:22 PM

Discus Buyers Beware!!!!

Hi guys, I think this is very basic but than again I hope it serves as a reminder. Before you purchase the discus, it is best that you go down to the seller house and see the seller feed the discus. Make sure all of them are chonging for the food, shows that they are healthy. And do take note the Discus are not skinny. Than bag the fishs.

Some travelling cost and time is worth getting you a bunch of healthy discus eh :) so dont be lazy!!!

Espree 20-01-2011 02:30 PM

What happen? did u bag a group of discus which are stuned or unhealthy?

iceman 20-01-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hengyi86 (Post 8222470)
Hi guys, I think this is very basic but than again I hope it serves as a reminder. Before you purchase the discus, it is best that you go down to the seller house and see the seller feed the discus. Make sure all of them are chonging for the food, shows that they are healthy. And do take note the Discus are not skinny. Than bag the fishs.

Some travelling cost and time is worth getting you a bunch of healthy discus eh :) so dont be lazy!!!

Thks for the advice. Also buying from a known seller or someone who has sell you before does help.

Best is to view before comitting. There are tell tale sign if the fish is sick.

:)

hengyi86 20-01-2011 05:59 PM

Just a reminder to all Discus lovers and dont be lazy like me ah... haha. Anyways any discus doctor stays near Pandan gardens? near jurong east. Can come my house see my sick discus and give some prescription? i can only afford u a drink....

rontan 20-01-2011 06:07 PM

maybe u can post some pics & state the problems? Tink the seniors will try to help:)

Stanlaw 20-01-2011 07:06 PM

Sometimes it may due to change of environment, normally for young fish, they will move toward your hand when your hand placed near to the tank. Unless don't has the chance to see the fish swimming in the tank.

Jitticus 20-01-2011 09:44 PM

I've bought discus for a few times and each time they arrive at my place, they are usually hard to coax to eat. Each time i have to use blood worm to trigger their appetite, it may take up to a week for shy fish, sometimes just 2 days for the more outgoing individuals.

Airex 21-01-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jitticus (Post 8223288)
I've bought discus for a few times and each time they arrive at my place, they are usually hard to coax to eat. Each time i have to use blood worm to trigger their appetite, it may take up to a week for shy fish, sometimes just 2 days for the more outgoing individuals.

Dont give in to them, like that they will bully you already

Audiotom 21-01-2011 02:28 AM

Even when we bag our healthy looking discus home, its highly recommended that we quarantine them in a different tank before eventually releasing them to the main comm.

If we skip this step we may pay a big price.

itchy 21-01-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiotom (Post 8223996)
Even when we bag our healthy looking discus home, its highly recommended that we quarantine them in a different tank before eventually releasing them to the main comm.

Fully agreed on this point. :)

itchy 21-01-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jitticus (Post 8223288)

It is normal for new fish to take couple of days to get used to the new environment before they start eating.

leopard 21-01-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

I can't agree more on this, but must do a proper quarantine, but also depends on the source. I made a mistake many yrs ago, by buying from an unreliable source, and not doing proper quarantine. I thought acclimatising them for 1 mth is good enough w/o any medication. The 2 pcs of LS looked fine, but just 1 day after putting them into comm tank, the whole tank got infected and I lost a couple of good and beautiful leopards. Jus over 1 nite, bad enough to kill and nearly wipe out the whole tank.

Espree 21-01-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopard (Post 8224344)
I can't agree more on this, but must do a proper quarantine, but also depends on the source. I made a mistake many yrs ago, by buying from an unreliable source, and not doing proper quarantine. I thought acclimatising them for 1 mth is good enough w/o any medication. The 2 pcs of LS looked fine, but just 1 day after putting them into comm tank, the whole tank got infected and I lost a couple of good and beautiful leopards. Jus over 1 nite, bad enough to kill and nearly wipe out the whole tank.

Indeed. Therefore always buy from reputable source and they will recommand you to buy which fishes. They will also advise you if the fish is sick.

leopard 21-01-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espree (Post 8224361)
Indeed. Therefore always buy from reputable source and they will recommand you to buy which fishes. They will also advise you if the fish is sick.

I always buy from breeder, but just that 1 time when I passes by a farm at Pasir Ris and saw this LS that I like. Its the 1 and only tank of discuses among the goldfishes. The fishes looked fine, not sick, or even at all dark, but they do carry parasites. Anyway, I also ever bought a sick fish from the breeder too. He didn't say directly that the fish is sick, but hinted, but I didn't get the hint until I brought it home and did some recollection of what he said. I trusted him and didn't do a proper check b4 buying, my mistake.

KOA 21-01-2011 06:24 PM

There're always the environment factors to affect the buyer, only the owners will know better of their fishes. The factors can be of many such as that is the one and only fish you looking for, the price is cheap, the time that you have spent with the seller and travel, can't tell whether the fish is sick or not, no experience with the fishes, etc.

All these factors can affect your buying decision, so it is also a little difficult to judge correctly on the spot. The best is still observe a few times if possible, and also need some experience to judge whether to tell whether can purchase or not.

eruption 21-01-2011 06:35 PM

。。。

Quote:

非常同意 agree totally.

eruption 21-01-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eruption (Post 8225439)
非常同意 agree totally.

And also to have a quarantine standard procedure of your own.
Example:
How many days
Water level
Heater
Cease feeding
Medications: tetracycline, OTC... Etc..
These are some of my SOP mentioned above.

Cliff

itchy 21-01-2011 06:49 PM

Reputable or not sources we still have to quarantine any new discus members.

eruption 21-01-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchy (Post 8225467)

Agreed x a million times..

aroboii 21-01-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

just to ask do we put in medication while we quarantine them ?

deccante 22-01-2011 12:22 AM

Hrngyi, think i bought 2 fishes from the same person too:mad:

1 died within a week the other is skiny but eatting well.. didn't notice any white poo...and its with all my other discus

Audiotom 22-01-2011 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchy (Post 8225467)

That is very true indeed, sound advice.:)

Feeding regime, WC & tank condition of each hobbyist is different and different tank contain different kinds of micro-organisms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroboii (Post 8225943)
just to ask do we put in medication while we quarantine them ?

IMO QT period is to prevent disease outbreak.
It also allow new fish to gradually get use to conditions in new home, eg: WC regime, diet, etc.

About adding medi during QT process - different strokes for different folks.
Some may just use salt, others use anti biotics (as a precaution) and/or deworm them and even some who only use medi when fish is sick during QT.

Disffusion 22-01-2011 02:16 AM

B4 buying, see fish 1st. 1/2 dead or alive. Observe for any sign of probable sickness like clamp fin, darkening of the fish, HITH, skinny looking, gasping for air, inflame gills, etc etc.

Bring home, ALWAYS quarantine in a seperate tank for abt 2 wks.

Wat I normally do is, bring hme e fish, wash e exterior of the bag of e fish, float e bag in e tank for at least 30mins. Then open e bag, slowly scoop e tank water n pour into e bag until e bag is abt 3/4 full. Then pour 1/2 of e water out of e bag. Scoop e tank water again and slowly add into e bag again until 3/4 full. Gently tilt e bag and pour e water n release e fish into e tank.

No wc n feeding for 1st 3 days n observe fish. 4th day onwards feed abit and do abt 20% wc. Subsequent days onwards feed more n more and increase in the % of the water for wc as well...

hengyi86 22-01-2011 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deccante (Post 8226106)
Hrngyi, think i bought 2 fishes from the same person too:mad:

1 died within a week the other is skiny but eatting well.. didn't notice any white poo...and its with all my other discus

I am not sure if it is the same seller or anything but all i know we paid for our lessons.
Just hope others can take note that some people do sell Discus and i would think it is best for the seller to let the buyer know if the discus are sick and of cos the buyers responsiblity to check them and quartine them like most of the experts suggest.

The seller has replied to me that he does not know the discus are sick, but i checked his records he has been selling discus since 2009. So i am skepitcal about him not knowing the discus are sick. I do not wish to pursude this any further, this thread is just to warn new discus lover.

Maybe mod can put this up as sticky? Thanks.

chuach 23-01-2011 09:12 PM

Any recommendation on the quarantine duration? Is 1 week sufficient?

Audiotom 24-01-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuach (Post 8229570)

The longer the better :)

Airex 24-01-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuach (Post 8229570)

2 weeks is the minimum requirement.

KOA 24-01-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airex (Post 8230156)
2 weeks is the minimum requirement.

Which medicine you use for quarantine? Thank.

oscar77 27-01-2011 11:53 PM

Is very hard to say who is right or wrong. While pointing the finger out, please do not forget, discus is sensitive fishes. Lighting, shadow, tank position, human traffic, water condition, food difference .... all will scared the shit out of the fishes ... so .... may be picture could tell better story.

hengyi86 28-01-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscar77 (Post 8238978)
Is very hard to say who is right or wrong. While pointing the finger out, please do not forget, discus is sensitive fishes. Lighting, shadow, tank position, human traffic, water condition, food difference .... all will scared the shit out of the fishes ... so .... may be picture could tell better story.

here you go
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=24
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=25

I am not sure how long they are sick.but judging from their state, i would say for quite sometime. seller claim not aware the fishs are in such a bad condition and not aware is contagious (how can not be aware?) and internal parasite is very common for discus. But i checked he has been selling discus since 2009 and i believe he has the knowledge to know about such stuff.

jasonchua1982 28-01-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hengyi86 (Post 8239972)
here you go
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=24
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=25

I am not sure how long they are sick.but judging from their state, i would say for quite sometime. seller claim not aware the fishs are in such a bad condition and not aware is contagious (how can not be aware?) and internal parasite is very common for discus. But i checked he has been selling discus since 2009 and i believe he has the knowledge to know about such stuff.

Hi Hengyi,

Before you go on and on....feeling sorry for yourself....blaming others for all the misery they pile on you....trying to warn others to be careful when buying new fishes & stating you do not wish to pursue this matter yet keep implying how wrong/ unethical the seller is.....

Maybe you can help to answer some of these questions:

1. Did the seller force you to buy those fishes you bid?
2. Did you meet the seller at the agreed timing to view the fishes, then decide if you wan to take them?
3. How long have you left the fishes in the bag (with no O2 supply) because you forgot about the agreed appointment and can only collect them like a few hours later and that the fishes are in the bag with your friend all the while? Did the seller not warn you not to put them in the bag for too long?
4. How much do you know about Albino Discus? Do you know they are much weaker gene than non-albino Discus, as a result more delicate than the non-albino Discus?
5. Are you confident of caring for them, especially when they are juvenile only? Did you think of all these challenges when you bid?
6. Did the seller pass you fishes that are not the same as what you bid for? Or not the same as what was shown on the auction thread? Did you bid for the extra free fish or they are given to you out of good will? Did you not feel very happy when you received the free fishes?
7. How did you acclimatize your fishes? Did you do proper quarantine? Or did you simply mix them with your non-albino Discus?
8. Do you have a spare tank to put your new fishes or you simply think that one tank is enough for all fishes, be it new or old?
9. Do you know that non-albino fishes may be more resistant to bacteria or other parasite, compared to non-albino fishes, esp so if the albino fish are the new fish, that is still trying to adapt to the change in environment? Do you know that putting them together is a very big risk?
10. Does the new Discus has fin clamp when they are in the bag? Or it only happen when you mix them around in your old tank?
11. When is the last water change for your old tank? Is the water dirty? Do you know that non-albino discus are more resistant than albino discus to high nitrate and ammonia?
12. Does it mean that if the seller keeps Discus from 2009, he is fully aware of all the diseases and cures of Discus fish? 1 yr plus is enough to be a super pro in discus keeping? Then can I say that since you have been keeping fish (different types of fishes somemore) since 2009 or earlier, you should be better aware of all the symptoms of signs of sick fish and all the good practices like quarantine of new fish?
13. Since you love to read past threads so much, are you aware that the seller has only ventured into Albino Discus not too long ago? Are you aware that his experience is albino discus could be as trivial as yours? When you say how can he be not aware, then let me ask you....how can you be so sure that he is aware? back to qn 12 again.....
14. When you create a big hooha with your multiple threads, did the seller not offer to refund you full amount?
15. I see that you are good at doing CSI on the seller, regarding his old threads, did you see any dispute or any dishonesty/ complaints for the past sales?
16. Did you not try to sell very sick Discus fish not too long ago? What is the reason that you gave when the moderator comment that your fishes are very sick and you should not sell? You say you dunno :confused: Then can I say how can you be not aware? You have been keeping fishes for so long and you don't know what a sick fish look like?

So, if your answers for most of the question is "YES", I think you have a very strong case against the seller....if not, pls do reflect on your role as the "victimised" buyer.

hengyi86 28-01-2011 05:41 PM

ha. all i know is seller sells me sick fish without telling me, even the so called healthy ones. U said u did know its internal bacteria but dont bother telling me or stating in the auction?

can see from their physical state been sick for sometime. Pics says a thousand words.case strong enough?

did mentioned its my fault for not seeing the fish in person and asked to be fed before i collect.

Luckly my turqs are still healthy thats all i can say. Dont even matter what happens after coming to my tank because i have done all necessary procedures aclimatizing them. even trying to treat them. simply too weak.

different fish same sickness? really think is going off topic.
as for selling sick discus i dont really see my discus as sick as i just ventured into discus.till now 2 ppl has tell me is sick but have not gotten a clear reason why. didnt really go into details except i see u selling discus since 2009. as for your discus... clearly even the "healthy"ones...

deccante feel free to speak since seller has spoken

if you wanna bring this up to dispute thread please do so

hengyi86 28-01-2011 06:01 PM

Just to let you know... sometimes its not about the $$... Its best for you to let people know your fishes are sick. if they are willing to take them so be it. If you know they have been sick for sometime let other people know.

It is ALSO the responsibility of the buyer to check the fishes.

Admit i was pretty pissed off after checking you have been selling discus for sometime. i half suspect you know they are not healthy and my words wasnt very nice.

This i admit i was in the wrong.

Airex 28-01-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOA (Post 8231413)
Which medicine you use for quarantine? Thank.

I don't use any medication.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hengyi86 (Post 8240277)
ha. all i know is seller sells me sick fish without telling me, even the so called healthy ones. U said u did know its internal bacteria but dont bother telling me or stating in the auction?

can see from their physical state been sick for sometime. Pics says a thousand words.case strong enough?

did mentioned its my fault for not seeing the fish in person and asked to be fed before i collect.

Luckly my turqs are still healthy thats all i can say. Dont even matter what happens after coming to my tank because i have done all necessary procedures aclimatizing them. even trying to treat them. simply too weak.

different fish same sickness? really think is going off topic.
as for selling sick discus i dont really see my discus as sick as i just ventured into discus.till now 2 ppl has tell me is sick but have not gotten a clear reason why. didnt really go into details except i see u selling discus since 2009. as for your discus... clearly even the "healthy"ones...

deccante feel free to speak since seller has spoken

if you wanna bring this up to dispute thread please do so

It very difficult to decide who is right or wrong. Some breeder's fishes do carry certain types of parasites or bacteria which they are immune to it or have already built up a resistant to it. There can appear healthy, eating well and swimming around. But then they have this bug that does not affect them a single bit.

Once com with other fishes, the older fishes are infected and does not have the resistant to it.

At the end of the day, a experienced seller should eliminate this bug, so that when they bring the fishes home, existing fishes will not get infected.

jasonchua1982 28-01-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hengyi86 (Post 8240308)
Just to let you know... sometimes its not about the $$... Its best for you to let people know your fishes are sick. if they are willing to take them so be it. If you know they have been sick for sometime let other people know.

It is ALSO the responsibility of the buyer to check the fishes.

Admit i was pretty pissed off after checking you have been selling discus for sometime. i half suspect you know they are not healthy and my words wasnt very nice.

This i admit i was in the wrong.

No...this is not meant to be a dispute thread....if you had stick to what you preached in the first place (to warn Discus buyers of potential sale)....I wouldnt have comment....but the way you phrase it....it's deviating from its purpose....instead of "hey ppl, be careful when you buy new discus from anyone else"....it has become....."hey be careful of this seller xxx.... he is selling sick discus, he claims he does not know it....hw can it be? he is selling for so long...." so u see know who wants it to be a dispute thread?

If you are refering to the 2 FOC fishes, this I admit that I know they are not doing well and not eating.....plus I know anyone seeing their shape will know....I am not so stupid to sell them and ruin my own reputation....which is why I took photo and auction 3 pcs instead of 5 pcs....had I given u them separately....would u have complained? Also, for the remaining fishes, they were healthy when I passed them to you, of cos would be better if you can come over my place to do whatever test you wish on them....but you never came.....

Lastly on the knowledge on internal parasite....I have explained to you many times about my ignorance, you choose not to believe because you think I am so "experience" and should know....as what I have told you earlier, I did not encounter internal parasite prob until I start off with albino discus 2 mths back....I used to feed my non-albino discus with tubifex worm (the most deadly parasite containing food) and the fish is still ok....when I seeked advice on internal parasite, I was under the impression that they are easily cure.....absolutely no one told me to separate them because the infected one can infect the non-infected one....if you cannot believe that I don't know internal parasite is contagious, then thats probably nothing I can do to convince you.....

To conclude, I wrote not because I enjoy quarrelling with you or trying to defend myself to the max....and say I have no fault at all....if I had known that internal parasite is deadly and contagious....like dropsy or white spot....I would have stated them in my sales thread.....but just listening 1 side of the story seems unfair to me.....I have encountered bad experience when buying fishes before....that time I personally went to the buyers home to see....I know something is wrong and I did not say....I was scared of offending the seller....subsequently when I asked for advice, I did not blame the seller....because I know its my fault for taking the fishes despite knowing they are unwell....but everytime a buyer come my place....I let them have all the time in the world to see and judge if they wan take it....I even let them have their quiet moment on their own for them to decide....some bro came and do the food test and in the end they are happy to bag it....

I will let the community and moderator pass the judgement and decide my fate....if bros out there think that I am wrong/ unethical in this episode, I am willing to accept any punishment, which includes taking away my buy and sell rights....the refund part is the least I can do with regards to the inconvenience I caused on your part.....its not saying "hey i pay u back so pls shut up".....while I thought that ur comments are in someway biased against me, I do respect you for the way u handle this issue and for not making personal attacks in the first place.....but subsequently I couldnt accept your comments.....but I am sincerely apologetic for making u go through the effort to treat them.

Thanks.

deccante 28-01-2011 08:01 PM

I have no comments as I went down to collect the fishes on my own.:)

My other piece is skinny but eating well and i think its not sick:p

God of tank 29-01-2011 11:37 PM

I do agreed on audiotom pointer and i know Bro Itchy is also a responsible seller, He drove me back and pack individually , afraid the discus might injured themselves in the bag.

oscar77 30-01-2011 12:53 AM

Commenting on pics, those fishes should be culled, not even FOC. And on hobbyist point of view, seller even without obligation, shall exercise certain consideration that, the buyer, may not have enough knowledge to justify what he/she is buying/keeping. I think spirit of sharing is important in fish hobbyist forum.

Personally i feel dishearten with this kind of quality discus circulated (Trade/giving) in fish hobbyist forum. What we all hope and wish, not only gaining knowledge from others, but also to promote discus keeping in fish forum. Like what i always said, the act of circulating low quality/ sick discus, in hobbyist forum, demoted/giving the bad impression to those started - discus is difficult to keep.

wonderlovers 30-01-2011 03:22 AM

imho, since they were FOC you shouldn't have complained or anything. They were free. but that's just me.

goldfishy 30-01-2011 03:30 AM

Even FOC the seller should make known to the buyer about the state of the fishes and ask if buyer willing to take them and not make the buyer thinks that those are given out of goodwill. This is basic respect. Seriously if it's me I wouldn't take sick fishes even if FOC.