Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Support for OHF (Advice needed) (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537024)

edwin14 06-07-2016 09:51 AM

Support for OHF (Advice needed)

Hi guys;

I have a 6x2x2 tank with 3 layers OHF.

I had plugged up the OHF holes so that it holds more water.

However after 3 yrs, the silicon for the center bracing gave way and the whole OHF dropped into the tank.

I'm thinking of getting a new tank to replace.

Any suggestions on how I should do up the next tank to support the OHF so that I do not have same issue again.

Advice form bros here will be greatly appreciated.

llewellyn 06-07-2016 12:11 PM

3 layers of ohf (15 trays?) is actually not alot.
My last tank center bracing came down after 8 years.
Brand new tank or second hand?
The next tank you need to tell the tank maker your requirements and bad experience.

edwin14 06-07-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llewellyn (Post 9958284)
3 layers of ohf (15 trays?) is actually not alot.
My last tank center bracing came down after 8 years.
Brand new tank or second hand?
The next tank you need to tell the tank maker your requirements and bad experience.

New tank.

But maybe could be because I plug up the holes so there is the weight of the water also.

U have any additional stuff to support your OHF?

LauLanChu 06-07-2016 01:19 PM

6 ft is long though have the center support. To play safe what I do is let the ohf sit on two long metal rod. I am using curtain railings.

llewellyn 06-07-2016 07:02 PM

I'm using the L shape bar bought from hardware shop.
In your case, probably need a thicker one.
http://2.imimg.com/data2/LV/YR/MY-35...es-250x250.jpg
Using the bars would actually add weight to your bracing so I would suggest unclog the holes.

Dave57 06-07-2016 08:16 PM

OHF filled with water is much heavier than a trickling OHF.

addition metal bracing would be good to support the extra weight.

BTW, the OHF was designed for trickling to enhance treatment efficiency.

edwin14 07-07-2016 09:49 AM

For me I always find that OHF in trickling mode, a large part of the filter media not in constant contact with water.

Like not as effective as OHF filled with water.

What do Bros here think?

Dave57 07-07-2016 11:05 AM

then you can consider using a sump or canister filter.

LauLanChu 07-07-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwin14 (Post 9958414)
For me I always find that OHF in trickling mode, a large part of the filter media not in constant contact with water.

Like not as effective as OHF filled with water.

What do Bros here think?

That is the purpose of trickle filter, wet dry mode, highly oxygenated to culture the BB. Not to worry too much about not constant contact with water, the material will be wetted. Just need to do regular maintenance to ensure flow rate is good.

One thing forget to mention, those support you intend to get ensure they will not rust, material like Aluminium, copper and stainless steel. As full exposure to water, and not good if the rust get onto the water.

huashao 07-07-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauLanChu (Post 9958458)
That is the purpose of trickle filter, wet dry mode, highly oxygenated to culture the BB. Not to worry too much about not constant contact with water, the material will be wetted. Just need to do regular maintenance to ensure flow rate is good.

One thing forget to mention, those support you intend to get ensure they will not rust, material like Aluminium, copper and stainless steel. As full exposure to water, and not good if the rust get onto the water.

As long as media is soaked and flow below, it is almost same as sump as water will follow the path of least resistance.

I am using alu rack but the rack is not resting on bracing nor the tank and my media are soak as well.