Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Freshwater Invertebrates Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   How to increase shrimp population? (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539003)

Natureman 10-12-2017 02:37 PM

How to increase shrimp population?

My PRS seemed to stop increase in numbers after reaching a few hundred pcs in 3 ft tank. pH is 6.2, TCS is around 130 ppm and water temp set at 24oC. Any thing can stimulate mating and breeding of new shrimplets?

leezhengxi 10-12-2017 10:37 PM

increase your temp to 25-26, do more wc, feed high protein food :)

Natureman 11-12-2017 03:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try out yr tips.

Natureman 11-12-2017 03:08 PM

10% WC per week is ok or need more frequent?

leezhengxi 12-12-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natureman (Post 10005232)
10% WC per week is ok or need more frequent?

can increase to 20-30%, maintain tds at 100-130ppm

wllm33 12-12-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leezhengxi (Post 10005141)
increase your temp to 25-26, do more wc, feed high protein food :)

the lfs says my crs died cos my temp was shifted too high after my air con off for the night.
I interpret this as temp going too high. He also advised me to use a chiller to maintain temp to 23-24 deg c.

Does prl need higher temp or the advice given by the lfs is wrong . I can't keep my crs alive, so very scared to venture into prl , unless get a chiller.

pl help me to clarify.
thnks:)

leezhengxi 13-12-2017 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wllm33 (Post 10005298)
the lfs says my crs died cos my temp was shifted too high after my air con off for the night.
I interpret this as temp going too high. He also advised me to use a chiller to maintain temp to 23-24 deg c.

Does prl need higher temp or the advice given by the lfs is wrong . I can't keep my crs alive, so very scared to venture into prl , unless get a chiller.

pl help me to clarify.
thnks:)

When keep caridinas like CRS for example, you need constant temperature. when you off your aircon, temperature can go up too high, and morning you turn back on your aircon, temperature fluctuates too much.

fluctuations of temperature, or water perimeters will cause shrimps to die because they are quite sensitive to changes.

Getting a chiller makes temperature constant. which is why shrimps will thrive. temperature also cannot be too low because it will decrease metabolism for the shrimp, your shrimps will grow slower, but at a lower temperature the colours will be very nice.

if your temperature is too high, they shrimps will look like they will have colour loss, and too hot they cannot take it. especially caridinas. thats why 25-26 is the optimum temperature, in my opinion.

Working at Aquarist Chamber has taught me all these, although i do not keep shrimps personally at home anymore :p:p

onlyyouknow 13-12-2017 03:57 PM

Is higher temperatures ok for pintos, wine red and pandas and all the other hybrids as well?

leezhengxi 14-12-2017 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyyouknow (Post 10005327)
Is higher temperatures ok for pintos, wine red and pandas and all the other hybrids as well?

rule of thumb for me is caridinas <26 degrees. Neocaridinas <30 degrees.

Neos are hardier. But i have seen caridnas survive in higher than 26, but they dont breed well in higher temperature.

wllm33 15-12-2017 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leezhengxi (Post 10005305)
When keep caridinas like CRS for example, you need constant temperature. when you off your aircon, temperature can go up too high, and morning you turn back on your aircon, temperature fluctuates too much.

fluctuations of temperature, or water perimeters will cause shrimps to die because they are quite sensitive to changes.

Getting a chiller makes temperature constant. which is why shrimps will thrive. temperature also cannot be too low because it will decrease metabolism for the shrimp, your shrimps will grow slower, but at a lower temperature the colours will be very nice.

if your temperature is too high, they shrimps will look like they will have colour loss, and too hot they cannot take it. especially caridinas. thats why 25-26 is the optimum temperature, in my opinion.

Working at Aquarist Chamber has taught me all these, although i do not keep shrimps personally at home anymore :p:p

kam sia :)