Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Splitting return from sump into 2. (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538797)

Squid 05-09-2017 06:56 PM

Splitting return from sump into 2.

Anybody here has setup where the return from a single pump from the sump is split into 2?
currently the return from my sump goes into an overhead filter box before returning to my main tank.
but i bought a new pump which is about 3-4 times stronger, was thinking if i can still use my OHF, i want to split the return into 2, anybody here has this kind of setup?

chucklee 06-09-2017 09:42 AM

Hi Squid,
Good day.
Although I have not try tat before. I believe this can be done by adding a Tee joint at ur current pipe n line to ur main. But I think tat a switch or control valve have to install at pipe line to ur main. As the tank should be lower than ur ohf, this lead to lower resistance for the return flow, therefore, a switch shld be install at the pipe line.
Hope it's help.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

burntrubber 06-09-2017 12:04 PM

Just make sure the return flow is adjustable so the OHF gets enough water.

satan_gal 06-09-2017 12:28 PM

This one is my upcoming new project which i dragged my heels for awhile liao...
But mine is sump.

burntrubber : wad u mean by to ensure OHF have enough water? I've run OHF system before.. usually pump is at base of tank to push water up into OHF...
With the increase in water speed and pressure going into the OHF, I'll be more concerned on flooding - as in water does not flow out of the OHF fast enough due to Cotton, media etc.

Output outlet needs to be bigger to allow water to come out faster to prevent flooding, no?

burntrubber 06-09-2017 02:08 PM

It might work either way. Pump may not be strong enough to push up to the OHF if the second return is too big.

satan_gal 06-09-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burntrubber (Post 9999527)
It might work either way. Pump may not be strong enough to push up to the OHF if the second return is too big.

Usually open system will not have such problem la.
Unless filter choke or something.
Pump push up... the most if the return is not strong enuff.. will just... have no power lor.. or only 1 return will be used.

Squid 08-09-2017 02:05 PM

thanks!! really appreciate the tips :) having 2nd though of changing the pump as i'm planning to move some rays to a bigger tank and thinking small pump might be enough for 2 rays?

satan_gal 08-09-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squid (Post 9999702)
thanks!! really appreciate the tips :) having 2nd though of changing the pump as i'm planning to move some rays to a bigger tank and thinking small pump might be enough for 2 rays?

Pump is relative to tank size and not fish size/bioload.
tank is relative to fish size/bioload and not pump size.

For me, personally, I like higher flowrate coz rubbish gets out of the tank faster (food too, fyi)