Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Building Of My Platform Pond - A Dream Comes True (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528319)

ThomasLim 04-05-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirwin81 (Post 9947737)
HI bro
very impressive setup. Can I ask what is the material used for the shades or roof?

Laminate glass. A requirement from our MO :o

Thks for nice comments :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 9947777)
Bro. Take a photo of the contents of your filter. I'm sure many folk are interested to see your secret to making the water so crystal clear.

Aiyo bro, u dont make me embarrass by showing my simple filtration la :rolleyes: I am just hoping to see your pond and your whole filtration as you have not updated for some time. Let us take a look at yours :)

Saying the filter, the last time I open up my wooden decks to check on the midges are a few days back. Disappointed as I could still find a handful of midges around. Thought they will be fully wipe out :confused: I add in some more "donuts" and cover the decks back. Maybe is time to check again :D
Btw, I found there are snails at my compartments as well :( 一波未平 一波又起 :o should I just leave the snails alone? Any advise?

Bro Denser, regarding the maker, probably you whatsapp me (91716751) and I tell u privately...

Cheers!

DragonFireSG 05-05-2016 08:37 AM

Regarding the midges. Are there any more midge larva? The midges may not be from your pond, but are there looking to lay eggs. The BTI is to prevent those eggs from developing. They do nothing for the adults. Can't comment on snails heh. Interesting how they pop up from nowhere. The larva must have come in when you introduced water plants or new fish.

DragonFireSG 05-05-2016 08:39 AM

And oh I will post an update when I finish installing some new equipment.

sirwin81 05-05-2016 09:20 AM

I suspected glass but a friend of mine told it might have been acrylic or polycarbonate material stuff ( assuming I get the spelling right). Would you be so kind to take more pic of the shades coz I m trying to get some ideas on how to build a shade for some "project" and I could really use all the nice design to show to the empress dowager at home
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 9948012)
Laminate glass. A requirement from our MO :o

Thks for nice comments :)

Cheers!

ThomasLim 06-05-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirwin81 (Post 9948095)
I suspected glass but a friend of mine told it might have been acrylic or polycarbonate material stuff ( assuming I get the spelling right). Would you be so kind to take more pic of the shades coz I m trying to get some ideas on how to build a shade for some "project" and I could really use all the nice design to show to the empress dowager at home

Bro, I thot I had attached 2 pics of the shelters? Not enough? :D basically all about the same. Here is a link for u to vompare between glass and polycarbonate. http://www.envi.sg/awnings/polycarbonate-roof/

Take not when u use glass, please make sure u use laminate glass :)

ThomasLim 06-05-2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 9948396)
Bro, I thot I had attached 2 pics of the shelters? Not enough? :D basically all about the same. Here is a link for u to vompare between glass and polycarbonate. http://www.envi.sg/awnings/polycarbonate-roof/

Take not when u use glass, please make sure u use laminate glass :)

For info, I do not know the contractor in the link...:o mine is done by another very nice gentleman. Thumb up for my shelter contractor.

ThomasLim 09-05-2016 12:12 PM

For bros that are checking with me on the midges issues. Yes! It is solved! The 'donut' works! :D I opened up the the wooden decking of the filtration, only 1 (or 2?) midge flying out :eek: cannot believe it :D bros who are having midges problem as me, will know how happy I am :) I just not sure if I should continue putting the 'donut' or I should just stop? :rolleyes:

Cheers!

DragonFireSG 09-05-2016 06:02 PM

Just leave nuts in. They are non toxic to fish.

At least they claim to be :)

ThomasLim 11-05-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 9948946)
Just leave nuts in. They are non toxic to fish.

At least they claim to be :)

Thanks bro :) I just afraid that the fish might look ok for short term but actually unhealthy for long term usage... I will use till this pack of 'donut' finished then just leave as it is till further action is required again :)

Btw, any bro here is very good in wifi cctv setting? Those China brand, I need some help :(

fireblade 12-05-2016 10:21 AM

wah... looks like you have a new problem!

birds or human?

ThomasLim 12-05-2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireblade (Post 9949494)
wah... looks like you have a new problem!

birds or human?

Haha... No la, just monitor my fish and maybe sometimes can see pretty mm. LOL... Bro, u expert? Any wifi cctv expert in AF to give advise? :)

300 16-05-2016 09:45 PM

😳😳😳 amazing! Ups to ur dream setup

Aro77 17-05-2016 02:28 AM

no expert here , but maybe could you share your CCTV problem?

ThomasLim 17-05-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 9950470)
no expert here , but maybe could you share your CCTV problem?

I can watch via wifi through my phone. But once I use mobile data, I cannot connect... I search internet and is something to do with port forwarding issues. I just cannot get it solved. So right now I can only use my phone to monitor my fish when I am at home :confused::( then must well sit outside and look direct :D see if any bro can help, very appreciate...

elimmel 17-05-2016 11:00 PM

Which internet provider you using? I had the same issue with my media player. Turned out I needed static ip for it to work properly with mobile data.

fireblade 18-05-2016 12:47 AM

Which camera you used? I used dlink got no such issue. . And I'm on singtel

Aro77 18-05-2016 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 9950640)
I can watch via wifi through my phone. But once I use mobile data, I cannot connect... I search internet and is something to do with port forwarding issues. I just cannot get it solved. So right now I can only use my phone to monitor my fish when I am at home :confused::( then must well sit outside and look direct :D see if any bro can help, very appreciate...

Currently you are viewing it through your local IP , u need to allow port forwarding through your firewall for just that specific IP Camera , can easily be done. go to your router settings then to security then to single port forwarding and then select your IP Camera.

vadriewyn 18-05-2016 07:37 AM

If you have a static IP address, then you should be able to access your camera over the Internet, with port forwarding.

If you do not, then you'd likely need to sign up for some free DNS binding service to ensure your Internet IP address is always mapped to a domain name before doing the same port forwarding on your router.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ThomasLim 19-05-2016 05:43 PM

I am using Singtel...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 9950733)
Currently you are viewing it through your local IP , u need to allow port forwarding through your firewall for just that specific IP Camera , can easily be done. go to your router settings then to security then to single port forwarding and then select your IP Camera.

Bro Aro77 and bro Vadriewyn, I go into my Asus router, got too many settings inside, very confusing. I change here change there also cannot get it work, in the end still cannot get it solved :( Maybe if you happen to passby buangkok MRT, come and have a coffee and help me :)

TIA

spidy 21-05-2016 11:08 AM

Hi TL,

I am interested to understand your design on the backwash portion. I am building a 2m x 1.5m x 1m (deep) cement pond. Because of the space constrain my bio filter will be along the 1.5m side

Fukai told me the bio filter system they built got backwash so no need to empty the chamber to clean. Every time just use the back wash to flush out the waste.

So how does this backwash thing works ? My previous multi chamber filter always has to remove brush, Jap mat etc to clean. Very tedious.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ThomasLim 21-05-2016 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidy (Post 9951485)
Hi TL,

I am interested to understand your design on the backwash portion. I am building a 2m x 1.5m x 1m (deep) cement pond. Because of the space constrain my bio filter will be along the 1.5m side

Fukai told me the bio filter system they built got backwash so no need to empty the chamber to clean. Every time just use the back wash to flush out the waste.

So how does this backwash thing works ? My previous multi chamber filter always has to remove brush, Jap mat etc to clean. Very tedious.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bro Spidy, you already got yourself the builder? Fukai? I did not have luck with Fukai as I had sent enquiries to them a few times for my pond during then, but just didnt get a response. So I am not sure how is their price. Nevertheless is good to know that you are building a pond. Good luck! :)

For the backwash, sad to say during one of the maintenance, I accidentally toppled my air pump into the dry chamber (where all my 3 backwash valves are located) and it broke and damaged all my backwash vales. In the end, I have to seal up all my 3 backwash pipings.

To me, I seldom use these backwash (when they are still not damaged :( )as it is basically just a piping connected to each chamber and once you open the individual valve, the water from that chamber flows out to the drainage. For me, when I do maintenance, I will remove items from each chamber to clean, put them back after cleaning. Backwash can remove the deposited dirt in the chamber but not the dirt on the sponge, media, brushes, etc... Manually removing these items to wash is still a must for me (but I am lazy so probably once every 9months or a year) :D

Is good to have the backwash. However if you think all the cleaning can be omitted by simply using backwash, I will hesitate to agree on.

By the way, is your pond underground or same as mine, above the ground? If is underground, I do not know how is the backwash to drain the water off.

Just something for you to take note, when I water change, my chambers' water decrease together as the pond water decreases. I have no valves between the chambers and pond. So when I have a 50% WC, some of my media, sponge, rocks, etc in the chambers will be above the water. I do not like this to happen as it kills the Bb of those exposed. If I were to build a new pond, I will want to install valves to turn off the pump outlets and water inlets to the chambers when doing WC. With that, you can isolate the chambers' water with the pond water. Moreover when you are cleaning the chambers, the dirty chamber water will not flow out to the pond too... I hope this helps.

Feel free to whatsapp me if you need any advise (within my limited knowledge). I prefer to whatsapp as I can easily send pics or video when need... I think you can find my phone somewhere in the posts. PM me if u cant find it. Cheers!

spidy 22-05-2016 03:52 AM

Went to Fukai showroom to
water feature and later that day Robin of Fukai and his team went onsite to do a site survey. They will be getting back to me on the quote next week.

As mention in my other post, my attempt to use external canister filter was not successful as the company (WaterConsultant) that brings in Ultima charges very high on the set up.

My pond will be in the ground, they will need to dig a drain pipe to the main drain but the gradient has to be measured to see whether it is possible else a pump will be needed for the backwash.

I was also quote an undergravel filter system by PhytowaterArts. They also claim they have a backwash system to flush the waste and it is maintenance free as there is nothing to wash. However, almost every online forum speaks against such an "outdated" system because there is no way to clean out the choked gravel over time. So I am very hesitant to proceed with them.

Backwash
I am thinking putting air-stone in all chamber so during backwash I can on the air pump to agitate the chamber to shake up the waste and then flush the chamber out. In this way most if not all the "shit" caught in the brush and J-mat will be cleared. As for the bio media, I will be using oyster shell for buffering and MarinePure-media for bacteria cultivating.

Is this a feasible design ?

DragonFireSG 22-05-2016 12:02 PM

What happened to the plan to buy off Ebay? I am sure Fukai can help you plumb the unit. It is practically a DIY installation. Pump goes to Ultima. Ultima goes to pond. Backwash pipe goes to waste.

DragonFireSG 22-05-2016 12:16 PM

To add: Air agitation works only for plastic media. The holes are not too small and the media is robust. It will not work for brushes or filter mats. Been there tried that with my old brushes and mats pond.

I still think Ultrasieve III/MIDI -> Pump -> Waterco MC16 -> Bakki/Zakki shower is the best solution for a modern pond on a medium budget. Frequent (short - 5m or less) maintenance every few days, but practically guaranteed crystal clear water as the dirt and poop is given no chance to dissolve into the water.

The startup cost is relatively high, but you'll spend more time enjoying your fish and less time being a slave to the system.

spidy 23-05-2016 11:35 AM

What if I decide to build a system that can do either traditional multi-chamber or pressurised filter.

So I am thinking the following in the chamber design :
Width of chamber is 0.38m, Depth 1.08m
C1 - settlement (0.15m)
C2 - brush (0.24m ard 3 rows)
C3 - j-mat (0.3m)
C4 - Oyster shell + MarinePure (0.3m)
C5 - 2 x Tsurumi pump (0.3m)

How do I get Ultrasieve MIDI into SGP ? both ebay and Amazon not carrying it.
If I use the ultrasieve does it mean that I can skip C1 to C3 ?

So if I am changing the system to pressurised filter it will be :
Pre-filter (may be ultrasieve) -> pump -> Ultima or
C1 -> C2 -> C4 ->C5 (pump) -> Ultima

The cement tank design (aka all the internal piping) is not changed whichever systems I adopt.

I will however need to provision an additional drain outside the tank (for the Ultima drain pipe to discharge)

Any thought ? My dimension of the chamber feasible ?

DragonFireSG 23-05-2016 01:29 PM

No plans to continue with a shower for bio?

==

For the Ultrasieve, you will need to talk to a US or UK dealer to arrange for delivery. They will help you out. UK may be a better bet as it is NL made. They will also take off VAT (GST) for overseas sales.

DragonFireSG 23-05-2016 01:31 PM

You will still need a fines filter for absolutely crystal clear water with an ultrasieve as the sieve can filter only down to 300 microns (200 with an upgrade) Filter fleece in the top level of a shower should do well, or an MC16 vortex installed on the pump outlet.

The whole idea is to get rid of the super hard to maintain brushes and jmat.

spidy 23-05-2016 03:46 PM

The Zakki shower is too big to be incorporated into my waterfall. So I am just going to use the chamber for bacteria cultivation.

I just emailed absolute koi on the shipping cost of MIDI. Actually if I buy from US site I can use ezbuy or vpost to ship to SGP as well.

Won't be going for waterco as I feel sieve and ultima will be sufficient.
My tank is semi-indoor at my car porch fully sheltered and no trees or plant nearby.

I checked Aqua-Forte site, there is no mentioned of 200 micro upgrade for the MIDI. Any idea where can I buy the upgrade ?

ThomasLim 04-06-2016 11:27 PM

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/...skugx8dfg.jpeg

Bought this instead of the 'donuts'. Feel that this is less messy and seem better. Most importantly, cheaper and the fish still ok after using it...

Arosub 05-06-2016 01:07 PM

Thanks to Thomas generosity that I saw the pond. The whole setting with the turfed patio makes this corner a truly relaxing place for the owner and for the fishes, they are truly huge!

ThomasLim 06-06-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arosub (Post 9954234)
Thanks to Thomas generosity that I saw the pond. The whole setting with the turfed patio makes this corner a truly relaxing place for the owner and for the fishes, they are truly huge!

Haha bro, no problem at all... In the end, whether you get a unit here or at other estate, I hope you will have your dream comes true as well. Feel free to call me if you need my help... I will whatsapp u on 25th as promised, no worry... :)

ThomasLim 29-06-2016 12:17 PM

When I thot my pond has stabilized with no more casualty... I got one killed and stuck at my underflow without any clue what happened to it... My wife commented 'your fishes all 没人性, why still kill each others when they are already together for so long...' :confused: I told her '它们是鱼,不是人,所以它们当然没人性咯' :D

Monster is Monster :)

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/...s19stbpno.jpeg

LauLanChu 29-06-2016 01:51 PM

Also got fish living together for more than 5 years got kill, mostly eaten from the tail onwards. Once a while severe bite marks on body, not mentioning big chunk of the fins torn off. Even the common big pleco not spared. Monsters are monsters, they do fight and show aggression. My learning is got to feed enough and more to minimize this, one time feed if got this problem increase to 2 times feed and so on....when they are filled less attack, I believe.

bian27 01-07-2016 06:59 PM

Aiyo, dont say fish.. Some human also kill each other even family member... Hahaha

LauLanChu 01-07-2016 11:16 PM

Don't mix TFB, bala shark, kelah and any other barb with monster fish. They are their prey and just a matter of time, even with comparable size or bigger.

Bakuteh 02-07-2016 09:02 PM

I used to have an open pond in my previous Condo as I have a big open patio in the front. I have some people throwing cigarette butts from the top floor but ok as I am keeping koi which are quite hardy. When come to fumigation you will ask the MC to inform the gardener or whoever doing the fumigation to be careful and not spray chemicals into the pond. No issue of complaint from neighbors or smell. But my koi jumped up a few times. So need to be careful if you are keeping aros or some other jumpy fishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakuteh 02-07-2016 09:04 PM

And carful of any neighbors' Persian cats who might come fishing for a free meals which happened to my pond

Bakuteh 02-07-2016 09:05 PM

And also king fisher bird as well as my previous condo is near the sea front and they come to your pond for hunting

Aro77 03-07-2016 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bakuteh (Post 9957794)
And also king fisher bird as well as my previous condo is near the sea front and they come to your pond for hunting

i think any small animal that goes in wont survive an attack from his alligator gar & large aros :)

DragonFireSG 04-07-2016 11:13 AM

Dun underestimate the bird. What they can't kill they can damage. You see that big sharp beak on the KF? It uses it as a spear.