Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Articles, Resources & FAQs (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Importance of Nitrates (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253670)

Aroboy II 10-09-2006 08:18 AM

Importance of Nitrates

NITRATES are usually ignored by fish keepers compared with ammonia and nitrite. Even though nitrates are not so lethal in the way ammonia or nitrites are, over time high levels of nitrate do have a negative effect on our fish.

High Nitrates That Affects on Fish are:
  • Fish are prone to disease and will suffer inability to reproduce in extreme cases.
  • Fries and young fish will be affected in their growth.
  • Oxygen levels in the tank will be very much decreased which stress the fish.
  • Contribute undesirable algae growth

Nitrates Come From?

Nitrates are a by-product of nitrite conjunction during the latter stages of the nitrogen cycle, and will be present in some degree in all aquariums. Detritus, decaying plant material, dirty filters, over-feeding, and over-stocking the tank, all contribute to increased production of nitrates.

Water used to fill the aquarium often has nitrates in it. In Singapore, drinking water may have nitrates as high as 15 ppm. Before adding water to your tank test, it for nitrates so you know if the levels are unusually high in your water source.

Desired Level

In nature nitrates remain very low, generally well below 5 ppm. In freshwater aquariums nitrates should be kept below 50 pm at all times, preferably below 25 ppm. If you are breeding fish, or are battling algae growth, keep nitrates below 10 ppm.

How to Reduce Nitrates
  • Keep the tank clean – Waste ultimately produces nitrates. Cleaner tanks produce fewer nitrates in the first place.
  • Don’t overfeed the fish – Overfeeding is a significant contributor to excess nitrates and other undesirable wastes, such as phosphates.
  • Water changes – Performing regular water changes with water that has little or no nitrates will lower the overall nitrate level in the tank. RO/DI water is an excellent choice for keeping nitrate levels low.
  • Keep live plants – Have plenty of live plants utilize nitrates, and will help keep nitrates in check.

Use nitrogen removing filter media – Instead of an expensive denitrator or special filter, use special media in the filter you have. Although they will not lower nitrates dramatically, if used together with other methods the net result will be beneficial.

Personally, I believe nothing beats water changes.

lpkoh5 10-09-2006 09:52 AM

Bro...how frequent is your frequent on e WC part? :D

Aroboy II 10-09-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpkoh5
Bro...how frequent is your frequent on e WC part? :D

No hard and fast rule but for me one week once about 20%.

lpkoh5 10-09-2006 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroboy II
No hard and fast rule but for me one week once about 20%.

Roger...thks bro :D

aawcy 10-09-2006 09:59 AM

i understand that algae growth because of nitrate and sunlight..what if nitrate level is Zero but exposed to sunlight...will algae still present in the tank?Correct me if i am wrong...:)

Aroboy II 10-09-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aawcy
i understand that algae growth because of nitrate and sunlight..what if nitrate level is Zero but exposed to sunlight...will algae still present in the tank?Correct me if i am wrong...:)

What I written to the above is with Nitrates reading.
But as what you have put in without Nitrate reading, algae will developed but will be in much slower pace.;)

Iori 10-09-2006 11:20 AM

High levels of NO3 will cause NO3 poisoning to your fishes too and in the long run, may prove fatal

octane 10-09-2006 11:33 AM

thanks for sharing. ;)

gereld_hor 10-09-2006 12:01 PM

one more way, use denitrator:p

JACT 10-09-2006 01:44 PM

thanks for your sharing..:)