Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Building Of My Platform Pond - A Dream Comes True (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528319)

ThomasLim 18-08-2015 05:54 PM

Bro DragonFireSG, thks for the info. Yes, I got the inline carbon filter contact. I will see how it goes... Seriously that is my last alternative...

Bro R3dBull, hope u have enjoyed reading :)

Bro AdamC, thanks and yes I had actually removed some fish... Is not easy for me to reduce any further as all the 9 aro, the knife and the gar, I like them very much... Actually thinking of getting another 9 aro to make it 18... But I think I will abandon this plan for now :(
Actually how do we determine if the tank is high bioload? Because of the nitrate level? I am a little confuse... Any formula?

DragonFireSG 19-08-2015 01:25 AM

What do you have for filtration? Perhaps consider building in a shower to increase the turnover of your system? Marinepure is an excellent shower media.

DragonFireSG 19-08-2015 01:37 AM

[YOUTUBE]p_pbuC_Mfs8#t=28[/YOUTUBE]

An example 12"x12"x20" MP based shower. The tricky part is getting the feed water clean enough.

One of the ways to deal with high bioload is to overfilter.

AdamC 19-08-2015 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 9890467)
Bro AdamC, thanks and yes I had actually removed some fish... Is not easy for me to reduce any further as all the 9 aro, the knife and the gar, I like them very much... Actually thinking of getting another 9 aro to make it 18... But I think I will abandon this plan for now :(
Actually how do we determine if the tank is high bioload? Because of the nitrate level? I am a little confuse... Any formula?

We share the same hobby and passion, therefore the same "problem" - not being able to add another fish or two when we come across a nice catch.
I'm not aware of any scientific formula to calculate bioload but one look at your pond would draw the same observation from many - hey, there's a lot of fish in there! :)
Imagine given your current setup only with 6 aros in there... The fish would feel like they are living in a mansion with plenty of space, instead of feeling as tho they are being jammed in a "one bedroom" flat. Does this make any sense?

DragonFireSG 19-08-2015 01:39 AM

Fixed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ThomasLim 19-08-2015 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 9890603)
Fixed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Bro, u mean u fix this one in your pond? Any better design? :(

I think my existing filter is good enough to handle the Ammonia and Nitrite as both are both 0. I have Marine Pure in the filter too. :)

Haha... Yes bro AdamC, is difficult to control when u saw a nice fish that u like... As for the bioload, so there is no formula or whatever, just base on observation? But then hor, U find my pond full of fish but I myself find that can still add some more leh :( i think there is no right or wrong if is base on obsevation... cheers!

DragonFireSG 20-08-2015 06:20 AM

No need to fix this one exactly :) It's just an example. There are many creative ways to build a shower.

A shower is generally a few above water trays with clean water pumped up and allowed to flow over the media before returning to the pond. The air/water mixing makes for a very efficient filter. When used with MP some say the inside of the blocks start to host anaerobic nitrate eaters as the oxygenated water is rapidly consumed by aerobic bacteria on the outside.

In a submerged context, the inside of the MP blocks do not see a lot of flow. In a shower, water is constantly being exchanged all the way through the blocks due to the action of gravity.

Btw, do you dose sodium bicarbonate or test water for KH?

When your bio filter works very well, it eats a lot of KH (dissolved carbonates) and can lead to low buffering capacity in the water and PH instability. Even more so when the system is exposed to rainwater, and the pond is operating at a high bioload.

yifen 20-08-2015 12:04 PM

TS & Bros, thanks for sharing the chronicles of this pond set up. Really informative and educational after reading 33 pages of posting. Admiring TS perseverance with the time and money spend on setting up this beautiful pond. From the post, can really feel your excitement and frustration during the course of setting up. Can see it so much more complicated compare to tank set up. Thanks for sharing this wonderful journey so far :)

AdamC 20-08-2015 02:21 PM

Hi Thomas,
For the type of fish you are keeping, ideally, you may want to allocate at least 500L per fish. I'm not sure what is the volume capacity of your pond but I think you can work out the simple math. Sure, there's always room to squeeze another fish or two but on the other hand, you'll be constantly battling with water quality problem and fish stress. Yes, fish do get stressed out when they have to fight for space. :)

nutx 20-08-2015 03:36 PM

Bro...Nitrate can only be reduce through water change.

also looking at how to minimise the source, which is bioload.

Bioload, as a hobbyist, i think diff to control!:p

Look at your feeding pattern. make sure no left over, or food with residue, like mp shell, fish skin...etc.

24/7 drip...some due with successful, some no.

I'm using daily top up of 15-20 mins , 2- 3 times a day, at slow flow.
regarding chlorine, it should not have any impact on the fish.
previously I just add directly, no issue at all
Now, I'm using a 2 stage cartridge, pre-filter and carbon....just itchy to try new stuff.

design of filter is importance. There should be a foam "collection point" and you can overflow them easily....the foam should be the most "toxic, or dirty portion" of your water.:D if you know what I mean.