Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Fan to reduce temperature (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170922)

infocus2245 23-02-2005 06:21 PM

Fan to reduce temperature

I've a 3ft planted tank with a profantic fan. My tank temperature is consistent as follows:

Warm day: 28 degC
Cool day: 26 degC

Question: Can I lower my tank's temperature if I add another profantic fan to this tank? Possible to keep the temperature constant at 25-26 deg C with 2 fans irregardless on a warm or cool day? :rolleyes:

ZhiQiang 23-02-2005 06:34 PM

it will not have any significant change.

to have your water temp maintain at 25 or 26 degree, best is to invest in a chiller.

unity 23-02-2005 06:36 PM

hi infocus2245,
i'm using one fan and was able to maintain temp at 25-26c.

pardon me for asking this question in your thread cos i feel u might be interested as well. ;)

how long can a profantec last if i leave it on 24hrs? i thinking of buying another one and using it alternately with the other to share the workload.

andrewtyr 23-02-2005 06:48 PM

Most electric fans use the basic design of squirrel cage motor. This is a very sturdy design that is meant to last with little wear and tear. I don't really see the point of getting another one to share work load. I have mine on 24/7 and it is going strong.

Also to answer the threadstarters' query, adding an additional fan doesn't help lower temperatures. All you have to do is to change the angle the fan is blowing across the water surface such that maximum evaporation is achieved.

infocus2245 23-02-2005 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewtyr
Most electric fans use the basic design of squirrel cage motor. This is a very sturdy design that is meant to last with little wear and tear. I don't really see the point of getting another one to share work load. I have mine on 24/7 and it is going strong.

Also to answer the threadstarters' query, adding an additional fan doesn't help lower temperatures. All you have to do is to change the angle the fan is blowing across the water surface such that maximum evaporation is achieved.

OK. Will try adjusting the angle to see if it helps. But anyone uses 2 fans now, can give some advice?

elimmel 24-02-2005 02:00 AM

i use the oceanfree 4 fan set for my 1.5ft and it only goes down to 26-27C.
i think the temp will not go down more than 2-3C from the ambient temp (room temp). to reach 25C, i chiller would most likely be the solution.
nowadays hot weather, worse...

plantmania 24-02-2005 05:25 AM

Cooling is not really base on proportional size of the fan, but the amount of evaporation is happening. More evaporation means cooler water, of cos more evaporation means shallower water and furthur for the wind to blow....

infocus2245 24-02-2005 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elimmel
i use the oceanfree 4 fan set for my 1.5ft and it only goes down to 26-27C.
i think the temp will not go down more than 2-3C from the ambient temp (room temp). to reach 25C, i chiller would most likely be the solution.
nowadays hot weather, worse...

That means no matter how many fans used, it will not get below 26 degC unless Singapore whether get extremely cool which is unlikely?

infocus2245 24-02-2005 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plantmania
Cooling is not really base on proportional size of the fan, but the amount of evaporation is happening. More evaporation means cooler water, of cos more evaporation means shallower water and furthur for the wind to blow....

More evaporation = cooler water
More fans = more evaporation
Therefore, More fans = cooler water? :p

plantmania 24-02-2005 11:40 PM

Yup especially during the initial top water level mark, of cos you will see your tank water level sink extremely fast. And when tank water level is furthur from the fans, the rate of evaporation also drops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infocus2245
More evaporation = cooler water
More fans = more evaporation
Therefore, More fans = cooler water? :p