Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mosquitos in tank cabinet (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535569)

eggy 22-01-2016 12:36 PM

Mosquitos in tank cabinet

Hi everyone,

I am staying in Punggol and have newly set up a full height cabinet 6ft tank.

Lately there have been a lot of mosquitos gathering at the top cabinet, over the display tank. I have to do a daily mess killing when I get home from work.

I do not have any stagnant water in the tank as the return pump is blowing just below the surface and I also have wave makers in the tank. 50% water change is done weekly.

I did not have this issue previously when I was staying in Sengkang.

Is there anything I can do or should i inform the town council of these mosquitos infestation?

Thanks for all the advice in advance.

burntrubber 22-01-2016 01:27 PM

They might ask you to remove the tank. Try other methods. I am burning lemon grass essential oil whenever we are home.

elimmel 22-01-2016 04:00 PM

Could be midges instead of mozzie.

Dave57 22-01-2016 04:02 PM

is there any dead spots in the tank or sump?
maybe the overflow corner into the sump or the sump pump compartment?

Censis 22-01-2016 04:28 PM

Check your sump.. Encounter midges in my sump before even without stagnant water.. Just slow flow of water..

Problem solved with a aeration in that compartment.

DragonFireSG 22-01-2016 05:21 PM

Bacillus Thuriengensis tabs or liquid can be used. Just put in the water. It does not harm fish and specifically kills midge and mosquito larvae. It does not kills adults, but will prevent the next generation from hatching.

ThomasLim 22-01-2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 9930466)
Bacillus Thuriengensis tabs or liquid can be used. Just put in the water. It does not harm fish and specifically kills midge and mosquito larvae. It does not kills adults, but will prevent the next generation from hatching.

Bro, where can this be obtained? Is this rays safe? Any more info on this?

TS, I think is not mosquitos but midge. Midges are mosquitos lookalike...

elimmel 23-01-2016 11:40 AM

MidgeX and aeration did the trick for me when I had this problem previously.

DragonFireSG 24-01-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 9930519)
Bro, where can this be obtained? Is this rays safe? Any more info on this?

TS, I think is not mosquitos but midge. Midges are mosquitos lookalike...

Not sure about rays. No effect on my koi. I use microbe-lift brand. A bottle from Amazon should be good for several months of regular use.

eggy 25-01-2016 10:11 AM

hi, thanks everyone...

I think its midge. the funny thing is its in the main tank area (not in the sump tank).

The stagnant water could be at the overflow compartment area.

I have some money plants growing out of the overflow compartment, could the plants be contributing to the midge? i will take them out if necessary.