Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Building Of My Platform Pond - A Dream Comes True (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528319)

denser 24-11-2014 05:53 PM

why don't you built a shelter instead? or those type where used in coffee shop, can open & close

ilovertg 24-11-2014 08:02 PM

have to check with the condo management cos all exterior parts cannot anyhow reno

otherwise an awning would be perfect, put down in the day to block sunlight
evening time bring up.

burntrubber 27-11-2014 01:45 PM

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/ca...outdoor/17887/

Cheap quick fix?

Arokai88 27-11-2014 03:03 PM

Or u can get gazebo.. from giant cost below 300 if im not wrong.

Jabby 27-11-2014 05:11 PM

Very very nice.

Dawlyn 28-11-2014 07:05 PM

Nice!
Well Built!

Gowling 29-11-2014 01:53 PM

It is so nice that it can be a showcase piece for many ID firms.

fishlover1971 29-11-2014 11:50 PM

Heard Ikea also have. Ard that price too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arokai88 (Post 9783212)
Or u can get gazebo.. from giant cost below 300 if im not wrong.

kenqks 30-11-2014 04:42 PM

wow, a big project, hope everything goes well for you :)

ChongoBongo 04-12-2014 06:46 PM

Really nice pond set up. Looks well built.

But can you not use something a little more natural e.g. boulders or driftwoods to weigh down the white acrylic boards? Rather than painted white blocks which look a little out of place/cumbersome/obstructive and in the way?

Alternatively, hold about getting some light coloured tiles (preferably those with stone/slate effect/patterns) to cover up the bottom?

Sorry to sound anal but just trying to help with suggestions ... I am sure you have been loaded with lots of useless advice recently

ThomasLim 07-12-2014 08:57 AM

Hi

Thanks for all the compliments and advises. The management don't allow external shelter which are permanent, to be built without some Authorities approval. However we are negotiating with the management and hopefully something could be agreed upon, but i guess it will take quite some time. A few months 😓

For Gazebo, yes, I thought of that too. However for some reason, the management didn't allow that too. In the end, I bought a parasol for my outdoor dining set. This is approved by the management without any problem as it is the only shelter that is not permanent structures, and approved. Even though Gazebo is not allowed, I did see some of the residents using it here. If there is any solid 'rain' coming down to the pond area, and the application to build permanent shelter is not yet approved, probably I will get another parasol for the pond. But I really hope this will not happen as the parasol base is really very big and space consuming. Or maybe I should just follow suit and get a Gazebol too? 😅

For the pond base, I should have thought of using the tiles instead of acrylic board. It will be so much easier and neater. Will bear that in mind bro, and give it a try if I were to change the base colour again 😊

Just back from vacation yesterday night and discover a few smaller size fish are dead. I believe they are attacked by the newly acquired gar. Though it also small size but fierce 😅 Luckily it didn't foul the water. I will be testing the parameters later and probably change 30% of the water? Any advise?

Cheers

itchy 07-12-2014 09:31 AM

Very nice setup , the white base looks better to me too . Your red is beautiful, so fat and spoon head. Is your tank water cycled before you put in those fishes?

danielkoh23 09-12-2014 03:06 PM

impressive set up!

FallenG 10-12-2014 12:02 PM

Bro, impressive setup i must say.. Add a few more big IT, it'd be even more impressive! :D

Alvin27 12-12-2014 02:59 AM

Impressive pond setup. If add a few nice jumbo koi , would be a breath taking sight

7576 12-12-2014 03:28 PM

must be an expensive set up , i am impress with your pond set up...

2~Terry 13-12-2014 09:12 PM

Nice!! congrats in having your new pond set up successfully.

The pond is really a wonderful sight to go home to, everyday. Like some bro pointed out, there are some concerns that you would wish to find solution to.

I would expect soon, you will start to invest in more exquisite and rare fishes, which are also expensive. So it does make sense to really convince the condo mgmt to allow you to install a fixture shelter, etc. If done nicely, it will not look weird and in fact beautify the pond and perhaps the estate. ☺ As seen in your earlier post, the drainage chockage is a real concern and rain/contaminated water dripping into your pond is really a big NO.
A glass shelter, perhaps would solve these problem, diverting these external element away fr your pond. Would look nice and definetely worth the money.

Understand you may have difficulties in addressing alot of concerns raised here.. nonetheless i hope this pond has a sucess in long run!!

Happy Fish keeping!

tankw 14-12-2014 10:02 AM

sob sob sob,

if i got a pond like this, i will just throw all my aros inside. don't care what alage or water temperature

ThomasLim 16-12-2014 05:35 PM

Thks for the comments.

After topping up the water initially, I add in Wizz fast cycle and the water conditioner, and immediately I put in 2 fishes to test (I was told to do that 😊) The 2 commandos survived for few days. So I slowly transfer my fishes and together with the medias from my old tank. So far, no problem with the parameters except the nitrate. This nitrate is always a headache for me but I am fine with it, knowing that I did WC regularly is good enough. Nitrate high also bo bian 😁

Currently my pond looks 'spacious' as most of my fishes are still small. There are not many fishes as well 😊 I dont think with the budget limitation, I could add in rare and exquisite fishes 😅 The most recent budget being approved by CO is to allow me to get a pair of BD pups from a very nice bro, still waiting eagerly for his pups... This BD budget is approved after many rounds of appeals 😁 and it will be another dream comes true for me. I hope I could get a nice pair from him to groom. Wish me luck 😊

Currently I am quite happy that the algae is not giving me much problem. Just very minor here and there, after more than a month. I hope it will maintain in this way. As for the drainage, no problem leh, I can easily access to the drainage cover as it is at my dry chamber 👍

Here is a video to share. Wonder what are my 2 male SP doing? Starting to get itchy or what 😥 😜

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/...psluvzg4t2.mp4

Cheers!

wmh 17-12-2014 12:53 PM

Nice pond....but not able to view the video...btw, u plan to put the BD pups inside this pond?

chromer 18-12-2014 08:04 PM

best home pond in a condo i have seen so far!.

kepala sakit 18-12-2014 10:04 PM

Nitrate is the end of the Nitrogen cycle a frequent WC will reduce it content or culturing hair algae @ the initial stage b'4 the introduction of fishes. Otw, green water or brown algae will be a common sight.

Green water will be first to colonize the water in the pond, UVc will need to suppress the phytoplankton (micro algae) grow while giving path to desirable/preference algae (micro hair algae on wall surface) or water plants to thrive...this muz be establish b'4 the introduction stage batches of fishes into the pond.

davidw 19-12-2014 07:24 AM

Nice set up, imo if u can secure the front area n the steps on left with fences, u don't need a net. The right side need not be secure as u hv the windows as natural barrier. The pond will look nicer natural and more enjoyable without any netting on top n with direct sunlight.

UV will help on clarity.

Heuer 19-12-2014 12:54 PM

TS, not sure if you take into account what is your estate decided to do mosquito fogging? will it harm your fish?

Star-flog 23-12-2014 10:45 AM

Beautiful setup. Congrat for the successful project.

Aro2626 26-12-2014 11:36 PM

Bro why don't use cement instead of fibre tank?
Is it fiber cheaper than concrete tank?

Nice setup.

Can share on your filtration system?

millenium 27-12-2014 07:52 PM

Very nice. Simple n neat n nice.

ThomasLim 07-01-2015 08:40 PM

Hi bros,

Thanks for the commrnts.

I thot I had shared my pond design previously? The drawing shows the filter system used. I took out most of the coral chips and put in some bio-home plus myself. I cant build the pond using bricks.

Yes, there are fogging few times per week... At the moment, I did not see the side effect... So dont bother about it.

Yesterday I got myself a big Albino Knife and a XB from a bro. Quite happy with the catch. Now there are 2 knifes in it. I simply love them.

Beside the knifes, I also put in 2 bigger xb... These 2 xb seems like To challenge each others 😓 My red still as tame, always swim away when there is trouble/fights.

Here is a video of the 2 xb and the 2 knifes that I had just introduced into my pond. Btw, is raining when I am videoing.... I hope they will get used to the new environment. Cheers!

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/...psb0neeqmx.mp4

bennkhoo 08-01-2015 10:57 PM

Very nice setup.

chuatere 09-01-2015 06:00 AM

Very impressive setup. Excellent!

bozz575577 11-01-2015 01:28 PM

very beautiful pond set up, u may have some shelter which have pole support on the side of the pond itself and not onto the wall structure.

RAW 11-01-2015 02:24 PM

wish I could have 1 some day :rolleyes:

terenz 13-01-2015 02:12 AM

this will be my dream pond

muser 13-01-2015 06:21 AM

Thanks for sharing a great-looking pond.
I like the color theme of dark wood and white base very much.
Congrats! It is a very inspiring share.

However, I do have some concerns:
- Hope the paint for the weights is safe for the fish...
- For fogging issues, perhaps put in some super activated carbon on those fogging days?
- I worry about the net, as fins can get stuck/tangled. The affected fish may be rendered immobile and may drown (I've had the unfortunate experience of my dear pictus cat drowning in a similar way).

Hope to view any updates, and thanks for sharing again.

ThomasLim 25-01-2015 11:31 PM

Thanks all the bro for the likes and UP.

I think the paint should be alright.
Will get the activated carbon if there is a need. Thanks for the advise.
So far the net is ok... I will see how it goes.

After few weeks of turning OFF my UV, the algae grows as expected. To my surprise, my wife loves the sight of these algae as she said it looks more natural than the white base. I just hope that the algae will finally grow throughout, covering the whole base and not patches as in the below pics. Else I might consider changing the base using green colour tiles. And hopefully there will be no blue algae growing. Any advise?

Sharing below some pics that I had just taken. Haha... I know some bros will be mocking at me for allowing the algae grows... I think I am happy with it, so just let it be... Who knows, maybe I will be clearing the algae very soon... Lol. Cheers!

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7c23a6ea.jpg

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4c65d4a7.jpg

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6f7b7361.jpg

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/...ps540f7eca.jpg

patclay 25-01-2015 11:45 PM

Very nice and impressive!

bian27 26-01-2015 01:04 AM

👍👍👍love it bro!

Vitor 26-01-2015 01:25 AM

If u want clear, Feifong will sure help,

cheng wei jian 26-01-2015 07:33 AM

Really impressive set-up!

Censis 26-01-2015 10:08 AM

Beautiful pond bro! Put In a pcs of Feifeng and let it feast in your pond!