Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   African cichlids (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Setup new african cichlid tank (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535181)

WaterChwee 14-12-2015 01:38 PM

Setup new african cichlid tank

Hi all experience chilchid hobbyist, I just tore down my plant tank yesterday and took out all the soil substrate as I have been puting chichids in twice and they did not survive due to low PH.

Can anynoe advise is it ok to just bare the tank or what type of substrate is best to keep african chichids. Mine is a 3x2x2 tank so how much is enough and I think I just want to think layer and not thick layer anymore like the soil previously.

My current tank still got few congo tetras and bosemani rainbows, are they ok with african chichid ?

patclay 14-12-2015 03:53 PM

African chilchid could be aggressive and the tetras might become food if they can fit into the mouth of the chilchid

Young Man 15-12-2015 02:54 PM

for substrate wise, some use coral sand, as it help provide some buffer for both pH and hardness.
while some use neutral sand or gravel.
run it with the increased pH for a couple weeks and let the filter cycle again before slowly adding in your livestock.

as for the tetras etc, depends whether they are able to take the new parameters, and also as mentioned above, whether they might become food for your cichlids.

burntrubber 15-12-2015 03:43 PM

Should be able to have all the fish in the same tank. Congo Tetra and Bosemani are quite large and generally stay at the top level of the tank.

WaterChwee 15-12-2015 05:45 PM

Thanks can I know should I get coral sand or crushed coral for my 322 tank. If coral sand which type is better and how many kg needed just for a thin layer for easier maintainance.

I will keep the congo tetra and my rainbows as they are quite large so will monitor and see if to give away later

trueblue82 15-12-2015 06:25 PM

i think u need crushed coral since africans some like to sift thru sand to look for food.

mine comes in a transparent plastic bag ,5kg per bag, no brand.

maybe mod can help to change the title to the correct spelling...:p

What africans are you keeping exactly? ...if mbuna will be quite fierce...not recommended with tetras.

If u planning to keep tangans,here got alot of experts :)

good luck!

WaterChwee 15-12-2015 08:53 PM

I intend to keep malawi as they are much more colorful and cheaper as compare to Tangans. Initially I want to get few saphire moba but they are too expensive.

Can anyone advise where can i get good and nice malawis with good price.

Also I am thinking to lay thin layer of coral sand instead of crused coral as they look nicer to me

nitingdedao 16-12-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterChwee (Post 9922939)
I intend to keep malawi as they are much more colorful and cheaper as compare to Tangans. Initially I want to get few saphire moba but they are too expensive.

Also I am thinking to lay thin layer of coral sand instead of crused coral as they look nicer to me

I would recommend Tanga shellies. Other than the initial set up,
Very little maintenance required.

Love to see them guard their shells and the surprise I get when I spot fries.

As for price wise, I feel they are quire affordable too ;)

Young Man 16-12-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterChwee (Post 9922939)

coral sand can be purchased at most LFS. take note of the sizing difference. depends on your preference since you are not keeping any sandshifters.
if you keep sandshifters, then better to go for C0 or C1 size.

Malawi cichlids are avaiable at many shops, have a chat or visit the shops to see what you like. a mixture of species? or a focused species tank? both have different feel and look.

btw, take note not to be fooled by fanciful names like "Saphire Moba". a moba is a moba.

jack_dempsey 16-12-2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Man (Post 9923047)
btw, take note not to be fooled by fanciful names like "Saphire Moba". a moba is a moba.

First time hearing the name. Like what bro YM said, dont be fooled by the names.

Google up and find out more about Malawis & their behaviours, bro.
Have fun & welcome to the cichlids world :)

johannes 16-12-2015 04:13 PM

I think TS is referring to "Zaire".

*title edited, thanks.

WaterChwee 16-12-2015 11:19 PM

hi bros, thanks alot for all your feedback.

I intend to keep peacock & hap chilchid similar to this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXLQ7obKvLA

and where can I get nice ones with good price. Btw, how much does it roughly cost for 1-2 inch

The frontosa I refer to is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxD86iCWqbI

Young Man 17-12-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterChwee (Post 9923128)
The frontosa I refer to is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxD86iCWqbI

yeap exactly. a moba is a moba. these are just fanciful trade names that people add in an attempt to sell faster or at a higher price.
but those are beautiful zaires.

CCT 18-12-2015 02:41 AM

Please dun get so small moba, its not cheap even that size. Prepare around $100 for each for f1, anyway try not to mixed peacock with moba, they may be nimp and stress(moba)

johannes 18-12-2015 09:01 AM

Malawi try qian hu, Seaview, OTF?, NKS, Clementi the stretch of LFS

Young Man 18-12-2015 01:13 PM

hi WaterChwee, your PM inbox is full, so i reply here instead.

setup:
i think for a 322 about 10-15kg of coral sand is enough.
remember to get plastic egg crates or anything to cushion the rocks.
-place the cushion, cover with some sand, arrange your rocks, cover with more sand.

rocks wise alot of choices for you, slates, granite, lime stone, dead corals, boulders, lava rocks, etc etc all up to your personal preference. just make sure they are stable and do not wobble. some may even use glue or silicone to hold in place.

purchase of livestock:
many shops around that already have ready stocks,
yun feng
Qiang Hu
OTF
C328
NKS
Seaview

or if you have in mind exactly what you want to get.
can try having a look when NKS or JZX do an african MO or shipment and see if there is anything you like. but those are likely WC or F1 and would be much pricier.

WaterChwee 19-12-2015 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCT (Post 9923353)
Please dun get so small moba, its not cheap even that size. Prepare around $100 for each for f1, anyway try not to mixed peacock with moba, they may be nimp and stress(moba)

Yeah was quoted 100 per small zaire moba and if get 5 then 500 ... wow can buay tahan zzzzzzz

WaterChwee 19-12-2015 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Man (Post 9923423)
hi WaterChwee, your PM inbox is full, so i reply here instead.

setup:
i think for a 322 about 10-15kg of coral sand is enough.
remember to get plastic egg crates or anything to cushion the rocks.
-place the cushion, cover with some sand, arrange your rocks, cover with more sand.

rocks wise alot of choices for you, slates, granite, lime stone, dead corals, boulders, lava rocks, etc etc all up to your personal preference. just make sure they are stable and do not wobble. some may even use glue or silicone to hold in place.

purchase of livestock:
many shops around that already have ready stocks,
yun feng
Qiang Hu
OTF
C328
NKS
Seaview

or if you have in mind exactly what you want to get.
can try having a look when NKS or JZX do an african MO or shipment and see if there is anything you like. but those are likely WC or F1 and would be much pricier.

Thanks Bro what is african MO ?

Just went to C328 and one small pc of egg crate cost 2 bucks ? will need at least 20-30 to fill up my 322 tank

WaterChwee 19-12-2015 04:16 PM

Back from Seaview and there are many large blue dophins in their big display tank at the entrance

freddie 20-12-2015 12:49 AM

Hey bro. Don't forget to upload some photos of your new setup as you go :)

For a 3x2x2 tank, if you are going with a Malawi setup you are better off sticking to peacocks, small haps and 'peaceful' mbuna.

Below is an example of some fish you could consider. They are not so aggressive and hold their colour well. These are quite easy to find in the local market and only cost a few dollars, if you don't mind growing them out from juveniles.

Jacobfreibergi
OB Peacock
Electric Blue Ahli (Sciaenochromis Fryeri)
Yellow Lab (Labidochromis caeruleus)

Unfortunately I don't think your rainbows will enjoy being with the Malawis. But it could work ok for a while, especially if you are getting young cichlids.

Looking forward to the photos :D

WaterChwee 20-12-2015 01:32 AM

Yeah I bought yellow lab, Jacobfreibergi and a cobalt blue from seaview & QH today. Dropped by CAS and there was 2 sulfer head in small tank but dont know how much as no one was around.

Can advise are the below expensive peacocks and where can I find juvenile ones

- German red peacock
- Fire Red peacock
- Blue Neon peacock
- Flametail red cherry peacock
- Sulfer head peacock

trueblue82 20-12-2015 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterChwee (Post 9923728)
Yeah I bought yellow lab, Jacobfreibergi and a cobalt blue from seaview & QH today. Dropped by CAS and there was 2 sulfer head in small tank but dont know how much as no one was around.

Can advise are the below expensive peacocks and where can I find juvenile ones

- German red peacock
- Fire Red peacock
- Blue Neon peacock
- Flametail red cherry peacock
- Sulfer head peacock

yun feng have some of those you mentioned...they even have 2inch juvies.

u can go nxt wk since they are bringing in new stocks on 22nd i think.

CCT 20-12-2015 04:05 PM

For peacock dun be too restrict on their name, hust get those you feel nice with. I have some malawi to clear let me know if you want them. They are all 3 to 4 inches

WaterChwee 21-12-2015 12:38 AM

Saw this background poster and looks great

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Aquarium-...8AAOSwstxVCEk4

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Aquarium-...yfmT8aJZ59y1-g

WaterChwee 21-12-2015 12:47 AM

Can I know what is the type of blue frontosa that is more expensive than Burundi but cheaper than Zaire moba.

Think of getting 2 and mix with peacocks.

TaNgS_RuLe 21-12-2015 03:07 AM

That would be a mpimbwe blue frontosa. Not the best of tank mates with malawis as they tend to be more mellow and might lose out during feeding time, but you can probably get by.

WaterChwee 22-12-2015 10:58 PM

Today when I reached home I saw that my tank was abit cloudy unlike the past few days.

I cleared all my soil substrate 10 days ago and the tank was bare for 1 week and I only added 12 kgs of coral sand 2 days ago. The thickness is only 1-2 cm and is this that cause a bacteria bloom ?

Do I just leave it and let it clear by itself or water change more frequently.

trueblue82 23-12-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterChwee (Post 9924406)
Today when I reached home I saw that my tank was abit cloudy unlike the past few days.

I cleared all my soil substrate 10 days ago and the tank was bare for 1 week and I only added 12 kgs of coral sand 2 days ago. The thickness is only 1-2 cm and is this that cause a bacteria bloom ?

Do I just leave it and let it clear by itself or water change more frequently.

if you already have fish inside, i think best to change water if the tank is still not cycled 100%.

WaterChwee 24-12-2015 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueblue82 (Post 9924513)
if you already have fish inside, i think best to change water if the tank is still not cycled 100%.

Thanks but the water turn back ok today so think might be a mini bacteria bloom yesterday.

I am still waiting to get rid of my current congo tetras and rainbow fishes to house malawi in this tank.

sherchoo 09-01-2016 03:05 AM

Getting back into the aquarium hobby and now setting up a Malawi tank. extremely excited about this.

sherchoo 10-01-2016 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterChwee (Post 9923958)
Saw this background poster and looks great

Just my experience on background, I tried a black Oyama and felt that the tank became very dark. Didn't like really like it and since the Oyama was badly installed (by me), i ripped it off.

So I tried those picture-like stones/rock which was gray in colour. Gray was lighter, it will not be as dark the black Oyama. Well, I was wrong. Took that off and will stick to bare glass. Though there is unsightly hoses and wires, but I still prefer that than those backgroud paper.

WaterChwee 10-01-2016 02:20 PM

I think with darker background will enhance the fishes color especially F1 moba.

I put one tube of Actinic light and it really brings out the color much more instead of yellowish tank

sherchoo 10-01-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterChwee (Post 9927701)
I think with darker background will enhance the fishes color especially F1 moba.

I put one tube of Actinic light and it really brings out the color much more instead of yellowish tank

You may be right, the LEDs is causing lots of glory too when reflected off the pasted background. Maybe that's the problem I have. Time to source for better lighting

CCT 11-01-2016 12:01 PM

The cloudy most prob is due to your new sand, haven clean enough but there is no big issue.

Malawi peacock usualky better present in brighter colour eg blue background while moba tends to be better under darker bg eg black.

https://www.facebook.com/africancichlidssg/

sherchoo 19-01-2016 06:18 PM

The water is clear already. May try to install the background paper again but I'm already pretty use to the pipes and hoses now. I'll give it a go, if I dun like it, I'll just rip it off.

trueblue82 26-03-2016 01:51 PM

hi bro where is your tank pics and video?