Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   African cichlids (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Callochromis pleurospilus spawned ! (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264698)

ectan 29-11-2006 12:08 PM

Callochromis pleurospilus spawned !
 
Noticed 2 of the females holding last night ! :)

Anyone has experience with these fishes ?

This is my 1st time dealing with sand fishes & mouth brooder.

What's the typical brooding period ? 2 wks ? 3 wks ?

seagul 29-11-2006 12:13 PM

wow congrats!!! that is really great news.

im not sure with this species but typical mouthbrooders hold up to 2 weeks. Just keep a close watch on them these 2 weeks. My own personal experience is that if the fish is rather skittish and easily stresed, it is best not to attempt to catch them during holding period as they might swallow or spit the eggs. When its about 2weeks its safer to try and separate them, even if they spit, it will be fully formed fries.

do keep a close watch on them as males sometimes still will pester the females.

Discus_RTG 29-11-2006 12:19 PM

Found this while searching the scientific name of your cichlid....

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...eurospilus.php

Hope it helps.... :D

ostrava 29-11-2006 12:52 PM

Wah steady! Congrads! i nv heard ppl of spawning them, u seems to be the first :p

wimbellis 29-11-2006 02:30 PM

Congrats on your spawn.Please take some picture to share.thks.

ectan 29-11-2006 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ostrava (Post 4785278)
Wah steady! Congrads! i nv heard ppl of spawning them, u seems to be the first :p

Really caught me off guard this time round.

They are supposely young fishes, only abt 2.5" for the dominant male & 2" for the females.
Sources from web: Their standard size is 10 cm, that's 4" !

ectan 29-11-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seagul (Post 4785070)
wow congrats!!! that is really great news.

im not sure with this species but typical mouthbrooders hold up to 2 weeks. Just keep a close watch on them these 2 weeks. My own personal experience is that if the fish is rather skittish and easily stresed, it is best not to attempt to catch them during holding period as they might swallow or spit the eggs. When its about 2weeks its safer to try and separate them, even if they spit, it will be fully formed fries.

do keep a close watch on them as males sometimes still will pester the females.

I'll prepare a holding tank just in case.

So far the holding females are doing great, no disturbance from the other fishes.

The other tank mates are 2 calvus , 2 ocellatus & 6 Cyprichromis

seagul 29-11-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ectan (Post 4785811)
I'll prepare a holding tank just in case.

So far the holding females are doing great, no disturbance from the other fishes.

The other tank mates are 2 calvus , 2 ocellatus & 6 Cyprichromis

Thats great. with calvus inside just have to ensure that u catch the fries out b4 the calvus yar :)

congrats to you again!

crossdiscus 29-11-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ectan (Post 4785055)
Noticed 2 of the females holding last night ! :)

Anyone has experience with these fishes ?

This is my 1st time dealing with sand fishes & mouth brooder.

What's the typical brooding period ? 2 wks ? 3 wks ?

great news....:D

ectan 29-11-2006 04:18 PM

I am thinking of partitioning off 1 side of the tank & keeping the holding females there untill they release.

This way, I just guide the females into the partition without netting & stressing them.

Do you think this method will work ?


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 10:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)