Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Goldfish & Koi Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Ranchu Tank Consultation (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534568)

cbong 17-10-2015 08:23 PM

Ranchu Tank Consultation

Masters, a question on ranchu tank:

I am replacing this pond with a 6 x 3 x 3 Black FGT with glass on front and sides. Intend to have a OHF for filtration. The tank would be partially exposed to sun and rain. Is the semi-open condition ok for keeping ranchu?

Your expert advice please :)

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/l...1017040725.jpg

The current pond shown in the picture is 7 x 2 x 1.5

Redbean 18-10-2015 12:12 AM

If you are keeping TVR. The current pond is a better choice.

cbong 18-10-2015 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbean (Post 9911236)
If you are keeping TVR. The current pond is a better choice.

Would the sun and rain be an issue? Are ranchus very sensitive to water parameter?

Thanks

No78 18-10-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbong (Post 9911251)
Would the sun and rain be an issue? Are ranchus very sensitive to water parameter?

Thanks

Think you need to add some shelter like big leaves plants or netting , reduce the afternoon hot sun . Rain water you may need to check PH and add a UV light in your filter system .

Mostly once used to it should no problem .
Maybe you can try out some lower grade test water and system .

Just wait for snr and master in ranchu keeping reply .
Me newbie .

cbong 18-10-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No78 (Post 9911283)
Think you need to add some shelter like big leaves plants or netting , reduce the afternoon hot sun . Rain water you may need to check PH and add a UV light in your filter system .

Mostly once used to it should no problem .
Maybe you can try out some lower grade test water and system .

Just wait for snr and master in ranchu keeping reply .
Me newbie .

Thanks! I worst then newbie, havent start....
Appreciated.

botakme 20-10-2015 02:04 PM

I think you have to put in few ranchu to test out and see how it goes.

AdamC 20-10-2015 03:16 PM

If you intend to keep ranchu only, your existing setup is ok.
However, if you intend to keep expensive $$$ ranchu in the pond, you may want to invest in a good filtration system with UV sterilization considering your setup is subject to natural elements. As suggested, some shades for the fish during the harsh afternoon sun would be nice.
What's swimming inside at the moment?

cbong 20-10-2015 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC (Post 9911806)
If you intend to keep ranchu only, your existing setup is ok.
However, if you intend to keep expensive $$$ ranchu in the pond, you may want to invest in a good filtration system with UV sterilization considering your setup is subject to natural elements. As suggested, some shades for the fish during the harsh afternoon sun would be nice.
What's swimming inside at the moment?

Its currently empty, with some mollies to keep mozzie at bay. Use to keep kois for 3 years.

I have a retractable awning overhead that can cover 90% of the tank. The challenge is during this period, all the ash from haze collected on the awning gets washed down into the pond. The last measured pH was 4.2!!!
:eek:

AdamC 20-10-2015 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbong (Post 9911812)
Its currently empty, with some mollies to keep mozzie at bay. Use to keep kois for 3 years.

I have a retractable awning overhead that can cover 90% of the tank. The challenge is during this period, all the ash from haze collected on the awning gets washed down into the pond. The last measured pH was 4.2!!!
:eek:

The low pH could be from decomposing organic compounds.
When was the last time you give the pond a thorough cleaning? ;)

cheeboon23 20-10-2015 11:06 PM

I reckon so too. The last time I clean it thoroughly was about 8 months back. Intend to fully tear down to re-do, hence the decision of to stay or go for a bigger FGT.

Tapatalk using iPhone