Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Articles, Resources & FAQs (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   My DIY Background and Moonlighting (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335112)

KawaiiBoy 02-09-2008 07:46 PM

My DIY Background and Moonlighting

Decided to share my experience in DIYing aquarium background after seeing that there is quite some interest in it in bro gtohow's thread. This is the final result. Hope more bros will find it useful and indulge in their own background making!

Materials needed are:

- Styrofoam boards (depends on how thick you need)
- Sharp pen knife
- Cement and mix
- Silicon (Most silicon can be used)

The boards are cut up and placed in position.

koolman 02-09-2008 07:51 PM

Looks very natural... Hmm.. AF seems to have alot of hidden dragon and crouching tiger..

Cheers
Koolman

KawaiiBoy 02-09-2008 08:02 PM

The boards are stacked together to make thicker dimensions. Generous amount of silicon are to be used. After which, pressure is to be applied so that the bonds are strong enough.

You can start carving your background after leaving the silicon dry for 24 hours.

My tank is with bracing so I have to break the background into smaller pieces. The pieces are painted with cement.

Note this space behind the background. It is for the powerhead to be placed in so that it can be hidden from sight.

YiDaLi 02-09-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koolman (Post 6114997)
Looks very natural... Hmm.. AF seems to have alot of hidden dragon and crouching tiger..

Cheers
Koolman

:p n he's one of them! Great job bro KawaiiBoy:)

KawaiiBoy 02-09-2008 08:08 PM

You can see that for my background, all the air tubings and water pipes are integrated with the background and hidden from sight.

The last photo shows the tank with cold cathode moonlighting that I DIYed. It can be attached to a timer to be switched on at specific timing.

The water is a little greenish because of some medicine applied to the water. Hope you all will find my thread useful. Thanks for looking!

smalllfish 02-09-2008 08:10 PM

nice lah bro, u can collaborate with tank makers and taylor backdrops for new tanks.

getcarter 02-09-2008 08:14 PM

tks for sharing bro,great work,looks very real

KawaiiBoy 02-09-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koolman (Post 6114997)

Cheers
Koolman

Quote:

Originally Posted by YiDaLi (Post 6115037)
:p n he's one of them! Great job bro KawaiiBoy:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalllfish (Post 6115044)
nice lah bro, u can collaborate with tank makers and taylor backdrops for new tanks.

Thanks guys for the compliments. I did refer to some of the works of other people in the Internet, so its not really something original. You guys can do a search on it too! :)

BuWaC 02-09-2008 08:28 PM

Great step by step detailing the DIY works bro, thanks for sharing.

Martin 02-09-2008 09:31 PM

very well done, thumbs up