Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Building Of My Platform Pond - A Dream Comes True (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528319)

DragonFireSG 06-12-2017 11:29 AM

Bro Thomas,

Could we trouble you to move pics to an imgur library? No need to link. Just load all into a single library for us to browse thru.

:P

ThomasLim 08-12-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10004922)
Bro Thomas,

Could we trouble you to move pics to an imgur library? No need to link. Just load all into a single library for us to browse thru.

:P

This is tough for me :o I have installed the Imgur app but I have no idea how to load the pics yet.... so I dont think I will know how to transfer... u got step by step instructions to load/transfer?

DragonFireSG 08-12-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10005070)
This is tough for me :o I have installed the Imgur app but I have no idea how to load the pics yet.... so I dont think I will know how to transfer... u got step by step instructions to load/transfer?

Where are your pictures stored?

ThomasLim 09-12-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10005081)
Where are your pictures stored?

Photobucket. I think can still browse all the pics... here is the link...

http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/Th...=recent&page=6

DragonFireSG 12-12-2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10005099)
Photobucket. I think can still browse all the pics... here is the link...

http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/Th...=recent&page=6

First thing you should do is DL all your pics to local PC. I don't really trust PB any more after their move to charge for 3rd party linking. Smells like they may not be doing to well. If they uplorry, you could lose all those photos.

Next thing is just upload to imgur like you would PB. imgur user base is a lot stronger at the moment vs PB.

ThomasLim 15-12-2017 08:29 AM

Thanks bro DragonFireSG, I have managed to save the pictures and downloaded to imgur. The download process is so much faster and easier than the photobucket :D

However, I have problem saving the videos from photobucket... maybe I cannot use the same method as saving the pics... anyway, here is the imgur link. Thanks...

https://imgur.com/gallery/CKM1Q

https://imgur.com/gallery/a1HRJ

https://imgur.com/gallery/Bdusq

murphys33 28-12-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10004920)
http://www.goldcrest.com.sg/spilfyte...pill_kits.html

Ask them about the Oil Dri Premium Absorbent granules.

I found this:

https://www.singpet.com.sg/products/...=2019856777242

Its from oil dri as well and may suit those looking for smaller quantity.

murphys33 28-12-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10004503)
Good news! There is a local distributor for oil dri premium absorbent - which is the same material as the kitty litter that is so hard to find. Even better, it isn't treated with deodorants like the kitty litter.

One bag of 50lb is under $30. I think that will make 2 biocenosis baskets easily. I am now looking for the laterite which is needed for the basket's core. That will be a bit pricier, though there are alternatives available.

How has your experiment proceeded?

DragonFireSG 02-01-2018 10:58 AM

Foiled by bad back. Still looking at doing this as I am planning it to be a major stage in my next pond.

ThomasLim 21-02-2018 06:10 PM

Today quite sad as one of my favourite Red passed away...

https://i.imgur.com/0Fy36z2.jpg

As I opened up the stomach to check, I discovered there were eggs inside :(

https://i.imgur.com/5GGxo06.jpg

Can I know if we could do anything when our aro has eggs in them? Is it that these eggs actually kill the aro itself? Sad... :(

ymmij 26-02-2018 03:39 PM

oh dear, the red looked beautiful.

i know nothing of eggs causing death and can only offer my condolences.

DragonFireSG 26-02-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10008852)
Today quite sad as one of my favourite Red passed away...

https://i.imgur.com/0Fy36z2.jpg

As I opened up the stomach to check, I discovered there were eggs inside :(

https://i.imgur.com/5GGxo06.jpg

Can I know if we could do anything when our aro has eggs in them? Is it that these eggs actually kill the aro itself? Sad... :(

Being eggbound can kill koi. Not sure about live bearing aros tho.

ThomasLim 27-02-2018 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10009124)
Being eggbound can kill koi. Not sure about live bearing aros tho.

So what is the solution for koi? How do u detect?

DragonFireSG 27-02-2018 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10009134)
So what is the solution for koi? How do u detect?

If the koi unusually and uniformly fat around the belly it might be suspected.
If fat only in certain spots, it might be a tumor.

For koi we drastically reduce feed to encourage egg reabsorbtion.
Not sure if that will work in aro.

Koi are cold water creatures who in nature do not eat all year round. Excessive nutrition might be a cause. Some folk actually almost stop feeding a month or two every year to try to emulate a natural food shortage.

ThomasLim 04-03-2018 10:29 PM

Hi all, I have a freaking experience last night- All my fish almost died due to a thick layer of oil film covering the surface of the water. Though I have a strong air pump, it doesn’t seems to help to break up the oil film layer. There were lots of protein bubbles too and all the fishes were restless and gulping heavily...

Yesterday I fed my fishes in the morning and discovered a filter pump was down. So I went Nanyang to get a new filter pump and decided to replace the pump and overhaul my filter media together with 40% water change (I regretted doing these).
After all these were done, I discovered the other filter pump also broke down suddenly. Thinking that out of 2 filter pumps, only 1 down and the other new pump was running, I decided to wait till next day to buy another filter pump for replacement. I knew that the filtering will not be strong as only one pump was running....

At night around 11+pm, I suddenly have a weird feeling and decided to go out and take a look at my pond. To my horror, I discovered the thick oil film and protein bubbles on the surface of the pond. I checked and confirmed that the filter pump was still running and the air pump was also running well... however the overflow was not working well as the only filter pump was not strong enough to pull the water down from the surface.... I saw eaten kunning fish being spit out and that might have caused the thick oil film and protein bubbles.

I quickly release the water valve to remove the high water level from the tank to the level that it was near to the overflow inlet level. I also removed the wire mesh of the overflow inlet and let flow into the overflow inlet without any obstruction... only then the overflow started to draw the oil film in.... I also removed the kunning fish from the pond...

After a while, all the oil film and protein bubbles were ‘suck’ in by the overflow inlet, and things were finally back to normal...

Lesson learnt:
1. Try to avoid NOVA filter. I have bought 3 or 4 replacement filter pumps to date... If I have a chance to change, I will try other brand.

2. Never water change after heavy feeding. Important!

3. Must have 2 smaller filter pumps instead of 1 strong pump. If 1 broke down, at least we still have another one running.

4. Must make sure to get a good air pump. I think I am lucky that I got myself a good and durable air pump. I think it is the strong air pump that had kept the fish alive till my rescue. Else with the thick oil film layer, the fish should have been dead. I will recommend to get a HiBlow air pump. It is still doing well after all these years.

5. Must make sure there is a overflow filter to remove the oil film and protein bubbles... I think this is important.

I hope the above could help any bros that are building and setting up a tank/pond... I am really lucky to see my fish still alive 😬

jiahuang 05-03-2018 03:52 AM

Glad nothing happen to your fish bro ... learnt something new

Aro77 05-03-2018 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10009358)
Hi all, I have a freaking experience last night- All my fish almost died due to a thick layer of oil film covering the surface of the water. Though I have a strong air pump, it doesn’t seems to help to break up the oil film layer. There were lots of protein bubbles too and all the fishes were restless and gulping heavily...

Yesterday I fed my fishes in the morning and discovered a filter pump was down. So I went Nanyang to get a new filter pump and decided to replace the pump and overhaul my filter media together with 40% water change (I regretted doing these).
After all these were done, I discovered the other filter pump also broke down suddenly. Thinking that out of 2 filter pumps, only 1 down and the other new pump was running, I decided to wait till next day to buy another filter pump for replacement. I knew that the filtering will not be strong as only one pump was running....

At night around 11+pm, I suddenly have a weird feeling and decided to go out and take a look at my pond. To my horror, I discovered the thick oil film and protein bubbles on the surface of the pond. I checked and confirmed that the filter pump was still running and the air pump was also running well... however the overflow was not working well as the only filter pump was not strong enough to pull the water down from the surface.... I saw eaten kunning fish being spit out and that might have caused the thick oil film and protein bubbles.

I quickly release the water valve to remove the high water level from the tank to the level that it was near to the overflow inlet level. I also removed the wire mesh of the overflow inlet and let flow into the overflow inlet without any obstruction... only then the overflow started to draw the oil film in.... I also removed the kunning fish from the pond...

After a while, all the oil film and protein bubbles were ‘suck’ in by the overflow inlet, and things were finally back to normal...

Lesson learnt:
1. Try to avoid NOVA filter. I have bought 3 or 4 replacement filter pumps to date... If I have a chance to change, I will try other brand.

2. Never water change after heavy feeding. Important!

3. Must have 2 smaller filter pumps instead of 1 strong pump. If 1 broke down, at least we still have another one running.

4. Must make sure to get a good air pump. I think I am lucky that I got myself a good and durable air pump. I think it is the strong air pump that had kept the fish alive till my rescue. Else with the thick oil film layer, the fish should have been dead. I will recommend to get a HiBlow air pump. It is still doing well after all these years.

5. Must make sure there is a overflow filter to remove the oil film and protein bubbles... I think this is important.

I hope the above could help any bros that are building and setting up a tank/pond... I am really lucky to see my fish still alive 😬

i have the same experience with nova pumps, i have 5 spoilt ones which are still in my storeroom. About 3 years ago, i gave up using these and moved to Amphi by ocean free and Tsurumi, so far all ok and quite good, i also have 3 sets of extra pumps inside my storeroom now, especially for those who have multiple tanks and also costly fishes, having extra set of airpumps and water pumps and other essentials is a must and these have come in useful for me, more times than i can count.

DragonFireSG 05-03-2018 11:49 AM

For pumps authentic Tsurumi is advisable. They use solid quality parts. I ran mine for 5 years before a piece of carbon from a ripped bag jammed the rotor and damaged the motor.

noidea 06-03-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10009364)
For pumps authentic Tsurumi is advisable. They use solid quality parts. I ran mine for 5 years before a piece of carbon from a ripped bag jammed the rotor and damaged the motor.

I agree, so far all my pond pump is using Tsurumi pump.

Failure do happen but normally it is my own fault of not turning off the pump when the water level is too low for the pump and it will end up to have shorter life span.

ThomasLim 11-03-2018 04:41 PM

Thks bro for the advise. I think if the NOVA pump breaks down again, I will get myself Tsurumi. However I am not sure if the piping can fix or not, and if the compartment is big enough to accommodate different pump size... lastly I am worry that Tsurumi is too powerful and dry out the last compartment easily causing the pump to be exposed above water...

DragonFireSG 12-03-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10009621)
Thks bro for the advise. I think if the NOVA pump breaks down again, I will get myself Tsurumi. However I am not sure if the piping can fix or not, and if the compartment is big enough to accommodate different pump size... lastly I am worry that Tsurumi is too powerful and dry out the last compartment easily causing the pump to be exposed above water...

With Tsurumi standard pumps, the best way to control flow is just a regular ball valve on the output end. The piping they use is 2".

I suggest using a flexi coupling like a fernco to do connections. Makes assembly/disassembly very easy.

ThomasLim 13-03-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10009636)
With Tsurumi standard pumps, the best way to control flow is just a regular ball valve on the output end. The piping they use is 2".

I suggest using a flexi coupling like a fernco to do connections. Makes assembly/disassembly very easy.

Bro DragonFireSG, thabks for your advise. Will definitely change to Tsurumi if this Nova pump breaks down again... Btw how is the progress of your new pond? Really would like to see how you build it phase by phase :D give us detail pictures ;)

Found an interesting video in YouTube regarding operation of the koi... never know that can just cut it open, remove the debris and just sew back. Done! Looks easy :rolleyes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ht1eGJ6OM_4

DragonFireSG 31-03-2018 05:56 PM

My house and pond is still grass field right now. Still in approval process from BCA.

ThomasLim 25-08-2018 10:37 AM

Recently my fgt is suffering many casualties... including my 23inches albino knife fish was seriously injured and passed on..... really dont know who is the culprit... Now I am worry for my small pleco 😓 They have been together for the past years peacefully and out of the sudden, this culprit turns so violent. Monster indeed :o

shiokmc 01-09-2018 12:35 AM

Step up wc?

Seems like monster is irritated by water conditions...

ThomasLim 03-09-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiokmc (Post 10018416)
Step up wc?

Seems like monster is irritated by water conditions...

this is the reason? :eek: didn’t know this could be the reason :o Indeed that I have not wc for quite a while... really thanks for the advise bro.... :)

shiokmc 05-09-2018 11:37 PM

If no new tank mates
No other reason for old timer in there to get frisky out of the blue

Juz my humble 2sens laa

ThomasLim 07-07-2019 11:01 PM

Hi all bros, really need advise from u on how to transfer a 3+ feet aligator gar from a big comm fgt? For aro, I think there is not a problem at all, but big gar is too dangerous to catch :o pls help and TIA...

yanki2 09-07-2019 08:51 PM

Where u transferring it to? Use canvas to body hold it?

DragonFireSG 10-07-2019 04:52 PM

A koi sock net would probably be best. They are also sized for fish that big.

ThomasLim 11-07-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanki2 (Post 10023731)
Where u transferring it to? Use canvas to body hold it?

Transferring to new house. I am more worried of the gar struggling in the canvas that causing injury to itself or might even injure the catchers. And if it jumps, dashes in the fgt, it is scary... :(

ThomasLim 11-07-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10023742)
A koi sock net would probably be best. They are also sized for fish that big.

Same, more worried of the gar struggling in the net that causing injury to itself or if it jumps, dashes in the fgt, the resultant force and impact it will cause is unimaginable to me... I worry the viewing glass might even break if it smashed into it during struggling or dashing... :(

DragonFireSG 11-07-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10023748)
Same, more worried of the gar struggling in the net that causing injury to itself or if it jumps, dashes in the fgt, the resultant force and impact it will cause is unimaginable to me... I worry the viewing glass might even break if it smashed into it during struggling or dashing... :(

Gar is a tough tough fish. Is it the only fish in the FGT? There is another suggestion, but I suggest you contact a fish vet, or at least experienced bros on monsterfishkeepers before trying.

Clove oil is a general fish anesthetic that can be used to immobilize large fish for movement or treatment. It has been used even for arapaima.

At low doses, the fish will become sluggish and compliant. Overdosed, the fish will be a goner. It is used to euthanize koi that are ill beyond treatment in my experience.

Ref thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...dative.113241/

ThomasLim 11-07-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFireSG (Post 10023752)
Gar is a tough tough fish. Is it the only fish in the FGT? There is another suggestion, but I suggest you contact a fish vet, or at least experienced bros on monsterfishkeepers before trying.

Clove oil is a general fish anesthetic that can be used to immobilize large fish for movement or treatment. It has been used even for arapaima.

At low doses, the fish will become sluggish and compliant. Overdosed, the fish will be a goner. It is used to euthanize koi that are ill beyond treatment in my experience.

Ref thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...dative.113241/

Wow bro, really thks for the info... thats what I need :) have u ever used clove oil to immobilize your fish before? Any link of clove oil that u will recommend me to use? Afraid I might get one that is not suitable and caused the fish to die due to my negligence 😅

DragonFireSG 12-07-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasLim (Post 10023754)
Wow bro, really thks for the info... thats what I need :) have u ever used clove oil to immobilize your fish before? Any link of clove oil that u will recommend me to use? Afraid I might get one that is not suitable and caused the fish to die due to my negligence 😅

The koi treatment guys used it before when they had to apply PP to ulcers on a fish.

The recommended dose probably varies per species - which is why I think monsterfishkeepers is the best place to ask. I see them put 1 drop into a 3x1 ft basin for my 20" koi. It's potent stuff.

I would say 100% pure essential clove oil with no additives is what you want. It is easy to get online.

Aro77 12-07-2019 04:04 PM

I have moved my big snow gars which are roughly 4ft and some arapaimas before, they are tough fishes - i custom made a special net to get them out of the FGT and into the transport tub.

Basically i had gotten a 5ft fgt and stand-by on the lorry, in which i just scooped my gar out and walked over to the lorry.

My mistake was i should not have use a FGT or hard tub, as with the water moving around, the snout will keep hitting which cause them discomfort and will struggle which resulted in some scratches on the snout but honestly it's minor and healed very well.

If i were to do it again - i would recommend using a big and thick canvas, fill it up with water and release the gar in there, this will not be so harsh on the snout when the vehicle is in motion and it hits. Then again with their power and sharp teeth it is a risk.

Probably better to incur some injury from a hard tub than risk water leaking from the canvas.

U have my contact, if u need any help, let me know.

ThomasLim 13-07-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 10023763)
I have moved my big snow gars which are roughly 4ft and some arapaimas before, they are tough fishes - i custom made a special net to get them out of the FGT and into the transport tub.

Basically i had gotten a 5ft fgt and stand-by on the lorry, in which i just scooped my gar out and walked over to the lorry.

My mistake was i should not have use a FGT or hard tub, as with the water moving around, the snout will keep hitting which cause them discomfort and will struggle which resulted in some scratches on the snout but honestly it's minor and healed very well.

If i were to do it again - i would recommend using a big and thick canvas, fill it up with water and release the gar in there, this will not be so harsh on the snout when the vehicle is in motion and it hits. Then again with their power and sharp teeth it is a risk.

Probably better to incur some injury from a hard tub than risk water leaking from the canvas.

U have my contact, if u need any help, let me know.

Bro, really nice texting with u and it is once again so heartwarming for all the helps that u have so selflessly offered me :) really really thanks in advance 🙏🏻 🙏🏻🙏🏻 As spoken, I have to crossed my fingers at this moment to make sure all things go smoothly.... I believe I will call u soon ;)