Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guppy Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How to cull? (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491565)

GupFan 07-05-2012 03:35 PM

How to cull?

Bros, how do you guys conduct culls? When I restarted this hobby half year ago, I bought myself less than 10 chapalang gups to test my ability. Now it's literally >100... and still producing fries every now and then. Of those chapalangs I only intend to keep the red tux strain. That still leaves me about 100 to cull. How do you normally cull ? Just flush them down ... ? Any humane method you bros can advise ? A bit heart pain to cull those that I raised from fries. :( If I give them away to Lfs for free, would they accept ?

fireblade 07-05-2012 03:39 PM

some LFS will accept... another way is to use as feeders? or just keep a tank of cull? but in the end still end up dead because lack of care.....

GupFan 07-05-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireblade (Post 8985455)
some LFS will accept... another way is to use as feeders? or just keep a tank of cull? but in the end still end up dead because lack of care.....

I don't have bigger fish to feed to, if I give to LFS, they will likely end up in the feeder pack anyway.
I'm using some of the culls to do tank cycling now, and I still have 2 x 2ft tanks of them... very overcrowded, but somehow very lively and healthy despite lack of care. Hmm..:rolleyes:

I'll ask around and if any lfs want them.

fireblade 07-05-2012 03:58 PM

or you can offer to people in Arofanatics for newbies to keep?
seperate the males and females to prevent them from further breeding?

GupFan 07-05-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireblade (Post 8985480)
or you can offer to people in Arofanatics for newbies to keep?
seperate the males and females to prevent them from further breeding?

Haha.. ok, then consider this an offer.

Yea, I used to separate them but now I just mix them altogether and let them mass orgy around. :D Sometimes, quite fun to watch them chase each other around in that crowded tank.

star 07-05-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GupFan (Post 8985488)
Haha.. ok, then consider this an offer.

Yea, I used to separate them but now I just mix them altogether and let them mass orgy around. :D Sometimes, quite fun to watch them chase each other around in that crowded tank.

haha! bro like dat v soon u will hv much more than juz 100+.. :D

kaner 08-05-2012 12:12 AM

I always give my culls to a hobbyist to feed his Dragon fish. This way, I wouldn't feel heart pain or guilty of killing it. Hahaha ... By contributing back to the food chain. :D

GarLover 08-05-2012 12:19 AM

u dun wan the culls,i will be glad to clear =D,mayb can start going into guppies with the bttr ones

infoate 08-05-2012 02:00 AM

sell them to me as feeders :D

DarkMind 08-05-2012 02:12 AM

For me, I am thinking of releasing the excess fish to a pond near my house.