View Single Post
Old 14-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #48
channabarca

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedra View Post
In the India book Talwar and Jhingran [1991] list Gonoproktopterus thomassi [now change to Hypselobarbus] as growing up to a meter long. That's an error?
I would not vouch to state that's an error but based on hearsay. You see a lot of the authors / scientists conduct most of their faunistic surveys as far as fish in concerned by visiting the wet markets at various places. There they interview sellers who are not fishermen barring very a few. The sellers though get to see a lot of fish on a daily basis but they do tend to exagerate whereas fishermen on the job give almost more accurate info and that is where I got my fish and info too. Specimens of H. thomassi given to friends and aquaintances who kept the same in large tanks such as six footers never reported growths of over 17 cm and I am talking over the years. I got my first thomassi way back in 1996 from the Chalakuddy river, Kerala and many more specimens later and as recently in September last year and till very recently in May this year from the Payaswini river in Karnataka. These were procured for a good friend of mine in Bangkok and I'll get him to post some pics of his too here. His when sent were a good 15 cm.