View Single Post
Old 30-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #32
NI KI
Arofanatic

'It's painful to say' - How Liverpool gained backing of Manchester United in title battle with Man City

In his four years at the helm, Jurgen Klopp has transformed Liverpool from a team struggling to qualify for Europe to a team which conquered Europe by winning the Champions League in June.

On setting out to turn fans from doubters to believers, the German manager has also earned some high praise from some of the Reds' most bitter rivals.

During their Manchester United playing days the likes of Gary Neville and Roy Keane passionately disliked Liverpool, but now the ex-Red Devils' opinions on their long-time arch nemesis have altered.

Gary Neville - "They have played title winning football for two years"

Speaking in the Sky Sports' studio on Sunday following Liverpool's 2-1 win over Spurs, Neville reluctantly revealed he thinks Liverpool do look like title winners.

He said: "Yeah, I thought during the second half, I was going to say it on air but didn't, about the teams we played in at Manchester United.

"There is a complete trust in this crowd, they are brilliant to watch and they are scintillating.

"I agree with Jamie (Carragher) that there was only one winner at half-time and I thought that at 20 minutes to go.

"They have played title winning football now for two years. You can't compare them to Man City. They are a completely different team.

"They are relentless and they should win a title playing the football and amassing the points they have."

Roy Keane - "They played like champions"

Sat alongside Neville at the weekend was Roy Keane who echoed his former team-mate's admission.

The United legend admitted: "That's what you are doing every week. Man City have put Liverpool under pressure today by getting a good result.

"Liverpool have responded and that is the name of the game. They have to keep going. They will be disappointed to have conceded but they have recovered well.

"You have to keep going. No one is going to hand you the championship. You have to earn the right, week in and week out. Whether you play well or not.

They have grinded the result out today. I think the goals were gifted by Tottenham, poor defending. But over the course of the 90 minutes they were the better team.

"Do you know what, I probably shouldn't say these words, but they played like champions. They responded really well and were by far the better team."

Rio Ferdinand - 'Liverpool are primed for success'

After Liverpool claimed the Champions League title in June, Rio Ferdinand predicted that this could be a period of domination for Liverpool.

Speaking to BT Sport after the 2-0 win, the former England defender said: "Listen, it wasn’t the most entertaining game.

"But we’ve all played in finals and it’s about getting over the line and winning the trophy.

"Not one of them fans, not one of them players, will care how they played today. They got the job done.

"Klopp’s been to many finals and been on the losing side. To get over the line by any means necessary is the way to do it.

"This season they’ve been fantastic, if they’d finish this season without a trophy it would have been a devastating blow for this football club.

"Now this could be the start of a successful period of winning trophies for this club. They’re set up, they’re primed for it."
NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote