View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
Sinubux

Tank Setup 4:
Dimension: Standard 2 feet tank
Filtration: Canister Filter ala Overkill
Model: Eheim Classic 2211
Stimulant: Electricity

This setup was done previously to test whether such a setup is ideal for guppies since canister filtration has been proven time and time again as one of the leading filtration that fish hobbyists around the world are adapting to. In the filter chamber, I used purely Eheim Substrate Pro. I decided against using any form in replace of filter bags is because knowing that usually I will feed live stuff such as tubifex, daphnia or even brine shrimp, I do not want the left over to be filtered through and get trapped within the foam and start decomposing there. Making the eventual setup a huge failure in the near foreseeable future. The inlets are pretty standard such that I used a sponge like media to wrap around it. This is to prevent inquisitive fries from going through an unnecessary adventure. You guys know what I mean? As for the outlet, I adopted a rain bar to disperse the water pressure that is coming out of the filter cause without it, I can see some of the very tired fishes swirling around in the tank even though I tried my very best to play around with the taps of the canister filter. However, if I was to aim the rain bar just above the water surface, I noticed that if I switched feed to powdered feed, the fishes tend to miss the food due to the constant water movement at the surface. I tried to have the rain bar submerged by a kind friend told me that there will be case of a back flow via the rain bar back to my filter due to the different levels of water pressure in and out of the rain bar. Hence I tried ways and means to try to cut down the water pressure being introduced back to the tank. Eventually a solution was found and that is the introduction of floating plants. In my case, I used water lettuce as opposed to duckweed cause water lettuce can be easily moved around the surface, making water change and feeding much easier as compared to the “mess” that duck weed bring about. However I felt this setup not that ideal when it comes to canister filtration and serious thoughts have been given into this setup as to how to really bring out the full potential of this setup for my guppies. These thoughts brought about the birth of my next tank setup for my guppies.

Do note that the above mentioned setups was carried out by me previously as a form of an experimental purpose to gauge as to what set up is more ideal for guppies considering the scale of implementation and also the cost factors involved.