View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Default Yet Another Newbie Nano Tank

Hi all,

So I've been around the FW scene for a good number of years now (like everyone else) and I've been wanting to setup a small marine tank. Pretty much the same story as everyone else. So, let's get down to the basics..

The plan is for 1-2 clownfish (perc or occ; due to their smaller size) in my spare ADA 45-P tank (approx 9-10 gallons). No corals.

So then, question 1: is that sufficient space for a pair of small clowns? If not, just a single specimen?

Assuming the tank is sufficiently large, should I be aiming for 10-15x turnover? I'm intending to get a large HOB filter (perhaps the TOTTO, filled with Chemipure Blue: which hopefully negates the need for a protein skimmer) to handle the necessary filtration. Question 2: is that sufficient filtration and flow?

With regards to water, what's everyone's recommendation on buying seawater versus buying a refractometer and mixing your own (which brings another question: tap water or RO/DI) for such a small tank. That's question 3.

Optionally, I'm also hoping to have at least 1 anemone in there so that the clownfish will have some semblance of a biotope. I've read that in a tank that small, my options are not many. So then, question 4: what anemone can I have in the tank that would be symbiotic with clownfish.

I'm assuming live rocks and perhaps CaribSea sand should wrap up the rest of the setup? Along with a suitable LED light, of course.

Oh, and just to be clear.. Yes. I know what I'm getting into. Which is why I'm planning for it and asking for opinions before diving in.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
vadriewyn is offline   Reply With Quote