View Single Post
Old 18-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
nim75sg

Default FasTest & SeaTest Multi Test Kit

After several years of using test kits (both tropical & marine) from different vendors and which frustrated me because of different readings even though the vendors claim to give accurate results.

The only kit that I can trust today is Salifert. But it is damn so complex and regarded by most aquarists as the choice of test kit on the market today for their accuracy.

However, I would like to share my experience with this new multi test kit which I purchased from recently and found out that it is one of the most popular brand chosen by aquarists over Salifert in USA.

Purchased the FasTest Multi Test Kit and the SeaTest Multi Test Kit but provide review only for the FasTest instead of the SeaTest which are similar except for the different water parameters;

FasTest = AM, NO2, NO3, pH
SeaTest = PO4, CA, low NO3

I found both of them to be relatively easy to use and accurate. The tester vial has a wide opening making it very easy to add the powder (reagents) and has a large base which makes it quick difficult to tip over easily unlike others.

The color comparator chips slide right into the tester and the colors are vibrant, which makes reading the test a simple task. Testing times range from about 2 minutes and it is so simple that I consider this to be idiot-proof.

In this FasTest Multi Kit, it contains 20 tests each for pH, AM, NO2, and NO3 with most readings varies:

AM = 0 to 0.8 milligram/l
NO2 = 0 to 10 milligram/l
pH - 7.8 to 8.6
NO3 = 0 to 100 milligram/l and 0 to 1 milligram/l

Instead of using liquid or drips, it use dry powder chemical reagent which bypass any wrong drip counts. Refills are available.

All the reagent has a stamped expiration dates on the reagent foil packets which is a good reminder to avoid using expires test reagents. My understanding is that if they expire, Aquarium Systems do replace them.

Pros
1) Inexpensive and affordable
2) Provide reliable results
3) Easy to compare color results against the color chip comparator

Con
1) Got expiry date of reagent

Here are the pics: