View Single Post
Old 14-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #133
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Upflow filter is going to be a step in the less well know - biocenosis baskets as featured on mankesanke.co.uk

This system is anoxic, rather than aerobic, and directly converts ammonia to N2. The end result is very low nitrate buildup, and as such a much reduced need to do water changes. As you might imagine, water changes for a 70T pond will be no joke. 10% water change weighs more than an Army truck Sure get blacklisted by PUB especially with all the save water campaigns.

There are folk who have gone without changing water with an anoxic system in place, and managed to keep nitrate levels down.

A DIY foam fractionator will remove DOC.

I do have a backout plan if anoxic fails. The upflow chamber will work just as well in moving bed form. I just need to put in a screen to block the biomedia from exiting at the overflow point. There is also a bakki shower that I will keep online for backup in case something disturbs the anoxic filters - they take a long time to establish as the bacteria we want doubles its population very slowly.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote