View Single Post
Old 23-01-2010, 02:28 AM   #34
JadeIceGreen

Filter Update

I told you I was a sucker for filter media right? The Eheim Liberty comes with three filter media options; the blue sponge cartridge for mechanical and biological filtration, the green bio sponge cartridge for biological filtration and the black activated carbon cartridge for chemical filtration.

The Eheim Liberty 100 by default comes with only the blue sponge and frankly, that in itself is enough for filtration. It must be said though, that the Liberty series is totally outclassed by even the smallest of the classic range, pressurized filtration is still much more effective than hang on filters. But if you have a small tank and you do not want to deal with tubing and a more troublesome filter cleaning routine, than hang on filters may be your best friend.

The Eheim Liberty 100 (with default blue sponge

The Eheim Liberty 100 (with activated carbon and green bio sponge)

From the pictures above, you can tell that the blue sponge takes up the same space as an activated carbon sponge and the green bio sponge. So if you intend to add activated carbon into your filter, you will not be able to use the blue sponge.

Some people have gone around this by adding their own activated carbon in filter bags into the pump compartment. I was tempted to do the same but after my media modding attempts with the Eheim 2211 and Eheim 2213, I have come to realized that Eheim designers/engineers know their stuff best.

To prepare for the new tank, (or at least that is my justification to spend more money) I went to Petmart to get the activated carbon and green bio sponge. I was actually a little surprised that it was not as expensive as I expected, knowing the premium pricing of Eheim products. Changing the activated carbon once a month will be less than a meal at the local coffee houses.

Green Bio Sponge

Activated Carbon