View Single Post
Old 23-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #37
JadeIceGreen

Filter Update III

Of all the three sponges, the one that interest me the most is the activated carbon sponge. Nothing stirs my blood more than chemical filtration (in the filtration world), the thought of activated carbon pulling in all the 'bad' stuff and polishing your water to a sheen is a nice one. However, I am under no illusion that the bedrock of a filtration system is always biological. Perhaps that will explain why my water is still slightly cloudy after 24 hours of adding the activated carbon and green bio sponge cartridges. With the blue sponge, my tank cleared in a week or so, I guess that was when the biological media matured. I'll update everyone on how long does the activated carbon with green bio sponge takes to stabilize the tank.

The box holds two activated carbon cartridges. They are individually packed in zip lock bags. I was impressed by the packaging but at the same time not very happy at the amount of plastic used. I am also trying not to think of how much plastic I'll be throwing away every month when I change activated carbon cartridges.

Detailed view of the media