View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #98
JadeIceGreen

Default Substrate Creation

Power Sand is the first to be introduced into the Mini S. Carefully poured in and spread out evenly, a thin layer is formed. Special attention is paid to the front of the tank and a corridor of space is created to ensure that it will not be visible when the substrate is completed.

After Power Sand Special, Amazonia Powder is then sprinkled in slowly, building up the substrate layer by layer. Each existing layer is worked upon using ADA's Sand Flattener before a new layer is added, ensuring a smooth and inclined substrate.

This is my first time using the sand flattener. Before this, I thought it was largely a waste of finances and I was not willing to purchase one. Even this well-used sand flattener was a loan from a friend who has been using it for more than 10 years! But after experiencing setting up the substrate with it, I will be purchasing one. It was incredibly easy to establish a smooth and detailed substrate with it for the Mini S. For a larger tank, it may not make that much of a difference, but for a nano tank like the Mini S, it was great for the finesse it allowed.

After a quick 10 minutes of work, the substrate is complete. All we need to do next, is to get some hardscape in!