View Single Post
Old 19-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #56
psych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Psych:

It looks like Purigen-in-a-bag isn't working out that well. Am not too sure how a pre-filter works. Would you need an additional pump or higher volume pump to ensure you don't suffer too much loss in flowrate? I did remember watching a video where a canister was used to house some media which were free moving. The water flow through the canister was whirling the media around the canister. Am not too sure if this is what you were referring to. If I remember reading correctly, Purigen comes in very small beads. Will be quite a task trying to contain the beads in the canister, if that's what you were referring to.

Planaria refers to the white worms? Am going to do a water change + a filter cleaning this friday. Hopefully it's due to excess food particles stuck in the filter. Will prob do a few water changes regularly after that. Hope that helps to clear out the Planaria.
That's the one. I'm not sure if flowrate will be drastically affected as I have not tried it, but I doubt so. Here's the post arofanatics[dot]com/forums/showthread.php?t=367264&highlight=purigen+reactor& page=4

On page 4 the TS quoted

Quote:
Yesterday went hunting for equipment could not find an affordable fluidized reactor. Came across a jamo brand japanese prefilter and bought it 20 bux. Put filter wool 1 layer on bottom and top, for top supported by a circular biosponge.

Wow instant fluidized reactor for 100g of purigen! Working perfectly. The jamo prefilter is marvellous quality, also has 4 hozelock system hose fasteners and totally watertight and airtight under pressure. I tossed in a bag of oyster shell for ph buffering too. It's in the reator chamber with the purigen. After 12 hours my nitrate is ZERO.

All equipment from seaview. The young girl there who is product king is very helpful. She gave me this idea and it works great.
Though I am also quite skeptical on containing the beads within.