Thread: The Rep System
View Single Post
Old 17-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #46
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillife76
. And i am also not challenging ur authority, But i am just curius why u zap others 10 pts?. Since all the forumer were given the power to zap the others when they see a action dat were not appropraites. Then why do u still wana to interevence?

And also hor since the power to zap is limited to 1 pts, why is it that u zap 10 pts? If we were to see a ppl posting nonsense or smthg that shouldnt be here, ppl only zap 1 pts , y u zap 10? Is it just becos u are the mod?

Ad also if we were to felt dat u do anythg that is wrong, who can zap u 10 pts? Shouldnt we be all the same? If a police man commit a crime his punishment is double, not becos he is a policeman, he can punish others double. My thoughts.......... or maybe many ppl thoughts. Heheh
If u remember correctly or see the whole picture, the first 10 points were given by us as a buffer ... yes, the idea is to let the members moderate themselves but it is also a sort of a warning system ... everyday, we have people flouting our guidelines, often claiming ignorance ( I never read, I seldom come in, careless , etc etc ) So what are we expected to do ? pm them and tell them ... well ok, then what happens ? the same thing go over and over again ... who cares ??? wrong ar ? aiya ... let them move lar .. never mind ... mod pm me ? who cares ? also not big mistake .. u mean they ban me because I spam the forum ar ? wait a while , two weeks later spam la ... and the process repeats itself all over again ... so how do we make them remember this ? we deduct their reps ... the same reps that we gave out for them to buffer at the beginning ... well, if these are genuine members and have make friends in the community, I'm quite positive they can slowly gained their points back. This is in contrast to those who are forever cynical or those who come into AF with their little agenda or wants to use AF solely for the purpose of profiteering .

As for your analogy of the government, first we're not a public elected team. The members don't pay to join us. We do all the work, the technical aspects, we create the activities, we fund the site, so we run it like a private entity would run their organisation. In a company, if a staff don't perform or is forever contravening company regulations, what will the company do ? Issue them a warning letter ?

There have been a few members who deduct me due to their disagreement with me ... that's fine ... but if you deduct due to policy or guideline matters, then you are deemed to be supporting the flouting of these guidelines and I will deduct your reps.

Why I zap is 10 points ? Will it make a pinch to warn against an offence if it is 1 point ? the very 1 point that can be easily recovered ? no is the answer and the flouting will jolly well repeat itself.

Sorry for saying this, ur analogy on the policeman is a little warped. The police or the state belongs to the citizens. The minister is elected. U can vote him out at the next election. But AF is privately owned. U cannot appoint me or you cannot appoint a moderator. You can only choose to come or go. You have to weigh the overall picture. Is this a site that you feel you can be here with enough freedom and make friends ? Or you feel restricted and claustrophobic due to our policies ? There are quite a few aquatic sites locally, many started after us and many are also members here. I will encourage you to register as a member and do those postings the same way those guys who flout AF guidelines does. See what happens then ... weigh and see if you would rather have someone deduct your reps as a warning first ...