View Single Post
Old 20-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #24
zonkkie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbear View Post
Wow... 7ft! Imagine a big school of utintas in open water Nice....can't wait to see your set-up.
Welcome to tanga community bro
Thanks for the welcome bro. Its a 7ft narrow tank. Only 1.5ft - in terms of capacity same as a 422 only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopy View Post
bro... depends on which river. Baking soda i think cannot hit so high
Thanks for advice bro. Will try and see how high it goes up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbear View Post
Bro, i'm also a tanga beginner offering what I have learn from all the tanga dragons...

basically coral chips/coral sand is used to maintain/stable PH.....around 8.0 -9.0 should be fine (mine at around 8+/-). You can visit lfs to get ready mix tanganyika buffer & tanganyika salt to get the required hardness & PH to replicate the natural environment of tanga fishes. Or to save on the high cost of buying ready mix (wow...7ft), most bros here do their own diy buffer...I'm sure bros here is more then ready to share their formula with you.
Of cos they are other tanga keeper who prefer to use different parameter for their fishes.
With the advise from all the above tanga shifu...and more visit to see their collections, you will get more knowledgeable and more poison

Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
baking soda is to bring up the pH to about 8-9. which is good enough.some dont even bother about pH.
as for stabilising the pH, some use epsom, some use marine salt, some use coral chips, some dont use anything..
read up more on the water chemistry and come up with a mixture and routine that suits your fishkeeping style the best.
different people keep different fish, different tank setups and different water supply.

filtration wise if i would suggest, then just load the IOS with biomedia and use the OHF for mechanical filtration, should be enough. more layers and you can add biomedia on the OHF too.
much appreciated advice! Ok - looks like i have my filtration sorted. Will play around with the mixes. Other than PH - is there a need to watch for hardness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiidae View Post
No issue.

See the bracket arrangement of that extreme left of 767510.

All my 422 with bracing are installed that way.

btw, using coral sand as substrates will limit your Tanga fish selection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
Using bracket definitely help.
I am using bracket for my eheim power line as well.
Thanks bros - will check out the bracket - hope they sell it separately and can be used with compact series!

Ben - can help to enlighten this newbie on the limitations of coral sand? i.e. which species cannot be kept? I already have neutral sand in the tank so if no need to scoop that out will save me a lot of backache!
zonkkie is offline   Reply With Quote